Should i buy a treadmill?

Options

Replies

• bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sweetie just ignore ritchie. He is such a guy. If you want the treadmill then get it. I understand wanting to run, but not through a foot of snow. You will see results if you eat healthy, balance your calcoric intake and exercise. Lifting 20 lbs is a good place to be at for a petite female. Besides, i'm the same size as you!
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    Sweetie just ignore ritchie. He is such a guy. If you want the treadmill then get it. I understand wanting to run, but not through a foot of snow. You will see results if you eat healthy, balance your calcoric intake and exercise. Lifting 20 lbs is a good place to be at for a petite female. Besides, i'm the same size as you!
    aww thank you for understanding(:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you know you'll use it, get it.

If you don't currently use one, I'd suggest joining a gym for a couple months and trying out a variety of equipment before deciding what to buy. If it's a $10/month gym like Planet Fitness, you can be a member for a couple years and spend less money than the cost of a cheap treadmill (that might not last that long).

I was a member of a gym long enough to realize I'd rather run in the rain, heat, cold or snow than run on a treadmill. :laugh: So I quit the gym and bought weights instead, and do all my running outside, year 'round.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    so, OP....
    About that treadmill......
    Do you have a price range you are looking at?
    there is one i found at walmart that is around $287 and has great reviews

Sorry I don’t mean to intrude.

I have this one @ first it was ok, but after using it continuously daily for walking & running it squawks and shakes. It isn’t a good deal long term. (I have owned it for 2yrs now) I wish I had not been cheap & purchased a more expensive one. If you can’t afford a new expensive one then keep an eye open on craigslist, play it again sports, etc. Now that I run for longer periods I can’t stand to use the one @ home, I use the one @ the gym primarily now as it’s a lot more sturdy & I don’t feel like it’s going to break apart on me. Plus you will want to use the inclines, declines & not have to manually get off to adjust it when you are in your zone. Test them out in a fitness store & you will see what I mean. Best of luck in purchasing whatever you think works best for you as ultimately that’s all that matters.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill sometimes, but I wouldn't pay for one. It's basically a $1000 way to do something you can do for free. Although I understand the weather thing, and some people really love running so... *shrug*

If I was going to buy equipment I'd make it something like a stationary bike or rowing machine. At least those you can't do without some kind of machine anyway, weather it's the real thing of a stationary equivalent.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options

Actually, he's giving OP the inconvenient truth. Do all the cardio you want; you'll be left looking like a smaller version of yourself. Muscle doesn't make women bulky, fat does. Lift.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Actually, he's giving OP the inconvenient truth. Do all the cardio you want; you'll be left looking like a smaller version of yourself. Muscle doesn't make women bulky, fat does. Lift.

Yeah, but he's all but forcing his opinion down her throat. And she clearly wasn't interested in his advice. If she doesn't wanna do a certain exercise, she doesn't have to. It's her choice how she wants to go about her weight loss. She should be able to make it without being hassled.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    so, OP....

I have this one @ first it was ok, but after using it continuously daily for walking & running it squawks and shakes. It isn’t a good deal long term. (I have owned it for 2yrs now) I wish I had not been cheap & purchased a more expensive one. If you can’t afford a new expensive one then keep an eye open on craigslist, play it again sports, etc. Now that I run for longer periods I can’t stand to use the one @ home, I use the one @ the gym primarily now as it’s a lot more sturdy & I don’t feel like it’s going to break apart on me. Plus you will want to use the inclines, declines & not have to manually get off to adjust it when you are in your zone. Test them out in a fitness store & you will see what I mean. Best of luck in purchasing whatever you think works best for you as ultimately that’s all that matters.

Yeah....You get what you pay for with treadmills. A cheap one new isn't a good investment. For ~$300 on craigslist you can probably get a really good used one. I just looked at the ads on my local craigslist, and theres <5y/o models selling for around $300 that originally costed ~$1600 that basically never got used.
  • Leira117
    Options
    I personally don't use treadmills but my mom uses something called the treadclimber. From july of last year to now she's gone from a 1X to a 10 doing 30min a day and using MFP. It's easy on the joint but it gives an excellent work out; hope this is helpful and I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to buy =D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Because people use MyFitnessPal to track calories, and are here for weight loss (99% of users) - So if that person is here for fat loss, he is buying a treadmill for fat loss. If his diet is not in check, he will not achieve fat loss, whether he has a treadmill or not.

That is why it comes back to it, because you people are obsessed with cardio for a weight loss tool.

You people? :huh:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    u can have mine! im using it as a clothes storage rack! LOL...collecting dust....I prefer to do sports and be outside then on it....JMO

I bet there are lots like this that are available cheap used. Try a wanted ad somewhere.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    so, OP....

Yeah....You get what you pay for with treadmills. A cheap one new isn't a good investment. For ~$300 on craigslist you can probably get a really good used one. I just looked at the ads on my local craigslist, and theres <5y/o models selling for around $300 that originally costed ~$1600 that basically never got used.

Jumping in to add: If you feel like you MUST buy new, try to wait until the end of the year. A lot of models will be discounted to clear out old stock. We purchased ours at about half off this way.

I agree with the other posters: it will pay off to buy a higher quality treadmill.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I found one at walmart thats around $300 it has great reviews

I hate to say this but any treadmill you can buy new for $300 probably isn't worth buying. If your budget is tight look for a used one and make your dollars go farther......
  • edwardgaweda
    Options

Yeah, but he's all but forcing his opinion down her throat. And she clearly wasn't interested in his advice. If she doesn't wanna do a certain exercise, she doesn't have to. It's her choice how she wants to go about her weight loss. She should be able to make it without being hassled.

So, attempting to educate someone who thinks lifting weights "only works your arms," and who thinks she "needs cardio" to lose the fat on her posterior chain... is forcing an opinion down their throat?

The question was "SHOULD I buy a treadmill?"

His answer was no, and he attempted to support why that was.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Because people use MyFitnessPal to track calories, and are here for weight loss (99% of users) - So if that person is here for fat loss, he is buying a treadmill for fat loss. If his diet is not in check, he will not achieve fat loss, whether he has a treadmill or not.

That is why it comes back to it, because you people are obsessed with cardio for a weight loss tool.

You people? :huh:

Glad that jumped out at someone else too.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

So, attempting to educate someone who thinks lifting weights "only works your arms," and who thinks she "needs cardio" to lose the fat on her posterior chain... is forcing an opinion down their throat?

His profile say he runs an on-line coaching business. Being a coach means asking questions first to determine what the client's goals are......maybe she wants to run for the sake of running (lots of us do) whereas he automatically assumed her goals were body composition related.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

His profile say he runs an on-line coaching business. Being a coach means asking questions first to determine what the client's goals are......maybe she wants to run for the sake of running (lots of us do) whereas he automatically assumed her goals were body composition related.

Anyone who wants to buy a treadmill - their goal is body composition.

Runners don't buy treadmills, they run outside.

Come on, wake up.

I'm done here anyway, do what you want OP.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Come on, wake up.

This is entertaining. Thanks for the unsolicited advice dude.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    should you buy one, you need only ask yourself one question.

Will you use it?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

Come on, wake up.

Richie how dare you, seriously.

I bought a treadmill a few years back when due to certain reasons I was UNABLE to run outside, but able to train on the treadmill, I had one for running NOT weightloss or body composition, it was purely for running.

I have run for 38 years now, I am a runner, I bought that treadmill to actually run on.

Come on Richie, wake up, you really are judging on what you want to believe, not on people's actual circumstances.

Oh, btw, I do run outdoors now, that's because I am a runner, but sometimes I still use the treadmill, just so you understand.