Should i buy a treadmill?

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

So, attempting to educate someone who thinks lifting weights "only works your arms," and who thinks she "needs cardio" to lose the fat on her posterior chain... is forcing an opinion down their throat?

The question was "SHOULD I buy a treadmill?"

His answer was no, and he attempted to support why that was.

His profile say he runs an on-line coaching business. Being a coach means asking questions first to determine what the client's goals are......maybe she wants to run for the sake of running (lots of us do) whereas he automatically assumed her goals were body composition related.

Anyone who wants to buy a treadmill - their goal is body composition.

Runners don't buy treadmills, they run outside.

Come on, wake up.

I'm done here anyway, do what you want OP.

Nothing like a well crafted intelligent reply. I know lots of real runners who own treadmills and use them in the winter (as the OP had mentioned as part of the plan).

One-size-fits-all replies without asking the requisite questions suggest that I'm not the one that needs to wake up......
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

So, attempting to educate someone who thinks lifting weights "only works your arms," and who thinks she "needs cardio" to lose the fat on her posterior chain... is forcing an opinion down their throat?

His profile say he runs an on-line coaching business. Being a coach means asking questions first to determine what the client's goals are......maybe she wants to run for the sake of running (lots of us do) whereas he automatically assumed her goals were body composition related.

Come on, wake up.

Runners run. Period.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options

How convenient for you that you can categorize everyone into neat little labeled boxes.

How inconvenient for you that you didn't have enough boxes to go around.

:indifferent:
  • RFTA
    RFTA Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To stick with the original question of whether or not to buy a treadmill...

I'm in complete agreement with the members who said things like:

--"Make sure it's something you're ABSOLUTELY sure about. It's an investment."
    --"A treadmill that's $300 probably isn't worth purchasing."
    --"If, for whatever reason, it's not feasible/suitable for you to train outdoors, then go for it".

Yes, there are plenty of people who end up purchasing various types of equipment, only for it to end up being nothing more than a decorative coat hanger with a couple of months (and minimal use). At the same time, however, there are those who end up using their treadmill multiple times a week, for years (until it "breaks"/they purchase a new one).

Having just purchased one at the beginning of the year, however, there are a few things to seriously consider:

1. Speed. I know someone else mentioned it earlier, but you wanna make sure you purchase a treadmill that you won't outgrow. Some el-cheapo treadmills max out at 6 or 8 mph. Most end up going to 10 mph, and some can go even higher.

2. Weight limitations. Believe it or not, every treadmill has a weight limit to it. Most at-home treadmills (like the $300 Wal-Mart one) may only have a 200lbs or 250lbs limit. Meaning, if someone exceeds that weight limit, and burns out the motor/damages the deck, it's not under warranty (and you're solely responsible for repairing/replacing it on your own dollar). Most commercial-grade treadmills have a 300lbs to 400lbs limit, depending on the manufacturer. Oh, and folding/space-saving treadmills usually (but not always) tend to have lower weight limitations than "regular" or non-folding treadmills.

3. Learn how to properly care for it. Many people don't realize that you're supposed to actually lube certain parts with a silicone spray, adjust the belt, and one or two other things every so many hours of regular use. This helps to keep the treadmill running smoothly for the many years you plan on using it.

Definitely hit up Google for anyone in your area who might be, say, selling a treadmill at a reduced price (like a gym, be it a traditional one or a business that's upgrading its own little mini fitness center). I would say Craigslist, but you've obviously gotta be careful with that nowadays. I ended up getting a ProForm XP 580 Folding Treadmill for $200, weight limit of 300lbs (10mph top speed, 10% max incline), and it runs like a clock (the guy purchased it, used it perhaps a dozen times in the 5 years he owned it, and resorted to keeping it in his garage). The motor might be a little weak (1.75hp, as opposed to a commercial-grade 2.75hp to 3.50hp), but it really does the job for myself, as well as my clients.

Don't be afraid to patiently look around for a great deal--ya never know what you'll be able to find!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    NO. plain and simple. Save your money and buy weights or supplements. Yuo have outside which is twice as better than a treadmill. but weights to go around your arms or ankles ;)

A) Outside when it's 40 below isn't that much fun.

B) Ankle and Arm weights can do serious damage to your joints.
  • RGv2
    Options

Come on, wake up.

wuhwhat.gif
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just buy a jump rope? I bought a stationary bike, but I rather do jump rope than ride it, even in winter time. If you want to run so much I bet they are cleaning the streets from snow it's just you handling the cold. I'm from Bulgaria and when it's winter it snows alot and it gets really cold - if I want to run in the cold I make sure I'm really dressed up warm and I actually run with boots.It's just a matter of "sucking it up".
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    To stick with the original question of whether or not to buy a treadmill...

I'm in complete agreement with the members who said things like:

--"Make sure it's something you're ABSOLUTELY sure about. It's an investment."
    --"A treadmill that's $300 probably isn't worth purchasing."
    --"If, for whatever reason, it's not feasible/suitable for you to train outdoors, then go for it".

Yes, there are plenty of people who end up purchasing various types of equipment, only for it to end up being nothing more than a decorative coat hanger with a couple of months (and minimal use). At the same time, however, there are those who end up using their treadmill multiple times a week, for years (until it "breaks"/they purchase a new one).

Having just purchased one at the beginning of the year, however, there are a few things to seriously consider:

1. Speed. I know someone else mentioned it earlier, but you wanna make sure you purchase a treadmill that you won't outgrow. Some el-cheapo treadmills max out at 6 or 8 mph. Most end up going to 10 mph, and some can go even higher.

2. Weight limitations. Believe it or not, every treadmill has a weight limit to it. Most at-home treadmills (like the $300 Wal-Mart one) may only have a 200lbs or 250lbs limit. Meaning, if someone exceeds that weight limit, and burns out the motor/damages the deck, it's not under warranty (and you're solely responsible for repairing/replacing it on your own dollar). Most commercial-grade treadmills have a 300lbs to 400lbs limit, depending on the manufacturer. Oh, and folding/space-saving treadmills usually (but not always) tend to have lower weight limitations than "regular" or non-folding treadmills.

3. Learn how to properly care for it. Many people don't realize that you're supposed to actually lube certain parts with a silicone spray, adjust the belt, and one or two other things every so many hours of regular use. This helps to keep the treadmill running smoothly for the many years you plan on using it.

Definitely hit up Google for anyone in your area who might be, say, selling a treadmill at a reduced price (like a gym, be it a traditional one or a business that's upgrading its own little mini fitness center). I would say Craigslist, but you've obviously gotta be careful with that nowadays. I ended up getting a ProForm XP 580 Folding Treadmill for $200, weight limit of 300lbs (10mph top speed, 10% max incline), and it runs like a clock (the guy purchased it, used it perhaps a dozen times in the 5 years he owned it, and resorted to keeping it in his garage). The motor might be a little weak (1.75hp, as opposed to a commercial-grade 2.75hp to 3.50hp), but it really does the job for myself, as well as my clients.

Don't be afraid to patiently look around for a great deal--ya never know what you'll be able to find!
    Im probally just going to get the treadmill for $300 but with a warranty of course if anything happens to it im only 129lb so im not worried about it breaking i have a stationary bike that i bought for $110 i have had it for about two years now and it works great. im mainly getting it for winter because i swear wisconsin has 6 months of winter and im not running in three feet of snow.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical thinking it would last longer than a treadmill...I never use it because I enjoy running so much more than that.

So yes, buy the treadmill, I wish i had.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I think you should. I'm thinking of buying one also because of weather issues also or if I have to do a late night run after a busy day. Get a used one online for a cheaper deal :)
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    Why don't you just buy a jump rope? I bought a stationary bike, but I rather do jump rope than ride it, even in winter time. If you want to run so much I bet they are cleaning the streets from snow it's just you handling the cold. I'm from Bulgaria and when it's winter it snows alot and it gets really cold - if I want to run in the cold I make sure I'm really dressed up warm and I actually run with boots.It's just a matter of "sucking it up".
    oh no my town does a really crappy job at removing snow from streets and when its removed its either all ice or it snows the same day its been plowed winter is bad here
  • RGv2
    Options
    I just saw the average low for Bulgaria in January is -5C (23F), where we live the average low is -15C (5F) and the winds can be vicious.

Yes, they clear the roads of snow, but that makes the roads that much skinnier, so cars drive that much closer to the sides of the road. You'd never catch me running in the road in the winter.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    L O V E my treadmill. I live in Canada in a small town. It's just super convenient. If you really want it - you'll use it. No worries, just enjoy it! :flowerforyou:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill every day and my wife does and my teen sons periodically as well.

It was a great investment.

Although, that bike trainer someone else suggested seems like a great idea for you too. Nashbar.com has some resistance trainers for decent prices.

Given how small you are - the $300 treadmill will probably be fine (although, check craigslist, you can probably get a nearly new one of the same kind for $100 - even if it only lasts half as long, you're still ahead). I bought an expensive one (for me - $1200) but I was over 2x your size when I started running.
  • RGv2
    Options
    oh no my town does a really crappy job at removing snow from streets and when its removed its either all ice or it snows the same day its been plowed winter is bad here

Ya, suck it up.....The average low where he lives for January is friggn' 23 degrees.....above.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    OP best advice here would be to buy something that you tried a couple times at least (get one month at a gym before buying a 200 pound rack).
    Most runners (running outside) find treadmills boring.
    I have one, and I use it when I truly want to run and it's like snowing outside and windy.
    Any other thing will be better for me than treadmill. Its, just not the same as running.
    I'd rather row inside or bike inside.
    I mean if it is just for the cardio, why not use something that is low impact ;)

Also weight lifting can be a good thing, but only if you like/want to do it (and truly dont worry about bulking, it takes year to happen and this is if this is your main activity)

So to recap, try whatever you want or feel like you could do inside, and once you tried it, go for it if it still pleases you (try treadmill for 40min / 1 hour,, then indoor bike, eliptical, rower etc...)

good luck!
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my treadmill. I live in the country with only crappy roads and nowhere that is smooth for a 65 year old woman to walk. I like controlled weather, no days that are to hot and no days that are to cold. I can get on it for a hour and watch my favorite show while controlling my speed and incline. It's the one thing that keeps me exercising. To each their own, so only you can make a decision.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    so, OP....
    About that treadmill......
    Do you have a price range you are looking at?
    there is one i found at walmart that is around $287 and has great reviews
    No. You will not be happy with it. I took the time to do a LOT of research when I was ready to buy my treadmill. Two things were brought to mind: 1) the length of the tread - those cheaper ones have a MUCH shorter tread on which to run and I would have felt like I was falling off of the back end of it; lesson: more length is a Good Thing; 2) The cheaper treadmills like you find at WalMart do NOT have the "give" in them that a person running and slapping down their weight on one foot at a time can take. The machine will more than likely not last more than a couple of seasons and it will not be as comfortably upon which to run.

That research in mind, I actually spent another full YEAR saving my money up and I spent $1600 on a brand new full-length deluxe model treadmill with the Sprint 8 exercise pre-programmed into it (Vision Fitness, 2007 model). I have never been happier with my purchase.

I walk/jog inside because I don't like to be outside, my dogs don't have to be kenneled (and no, I'm not taking two large 100 pound dogs jogging with me, so don't go there), and my ankles appreciate the give from the treadmill more than they would the asphalt, so it keeps me walkign and jogging longer than I would otherwise.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I say buy the treadmill. But lift also.

If we had an extra room in our house, I would buy a treadmill in a heartbeat. Running would consist of me running super early, in the dark, or super late, in the dark. My husband would NOT BE HAPPY!! We have young children so leaving them alone is not an option either for those times when my husband has to work late. Winter months, I do not expect them to ride their bikes with me on a run just so I can get it in. Our first purchase was actually a weight bench. Great price with delivery on craigslist. Did I mention I absolutely HATE cardio?? lol
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sweetie just ignore ritchie. He is such a guy. If you want the treadmill then get it. I understand wanting to run, but not through a foot of snow. You will see results if you eat healthy, balance your calcoric intake and exercise. Lifting 20 lbs is a good place to be at for a petite female. Besides, i'm the same size as you!

Actually, he's giving OP the inconvenient truth. Do all the cardio you want; you'll be left looking like a smaller version of yourself. Muscle doesn't make women bulky, fat does. Lift.

Yeah, but he's all but forcing his opinion down her throat. And she clearly wasn't interested in his advice. If she doesn't wanna do a certain exercise, she doesn't have to. It's her choice how she wants to go about her weight loss. She should be able to make it without being hassled.

Okay, but if you don't wanna take someone's advice, you don't wanna take someone's advice. You have the right to your opinion and the right to express it. But when someone's refused your advice, yes, at that point, it's being persistent, and no matter how right you think you are, you should back off. People have the right not to be badgered for their choices.