Foods that you enjoyed but stopped eating

Options
OhMsDiva
OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
I have seen threads similar to this but I thought about it this weekend. I was at my sister's house and she had a box of Apple Jacks on her fridge. I said I have not had Apple Jacks in years. I used to love all the "bad" cereal, but Apple Jacks, Frosted Flakes and Fruit Loops were my favorite. Once I decided to lose weight I stopped buying cereal all together. About a year ago I tried the Special K protein cereal and I eat them when I want cereal.
The reality of how small one serving of cereal is made me not even bother to buy other cereals. I am thinking now do I want incorporate sweet cereal back into my life or should I leave it be. Yes I do eat sweets but I do not know if I trust myself to eat 1 or 2 servings of Apple Jacks and I know after I eat them I will still be hungry..Just throwing it out there.

Replies

• DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the same because I haven't stopped using it entirely, but before I joined I used to cook with butter a lot. I mean a TON! I make homemade meals practically every night at dinner and I'd probably use 2-4 tablespoons (or more), depending on what I was making. I didn't realize how many calories it was adding to my meals.. I still cook with butter now, but probably only half a tablespoon or less.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are a lot of things I used to like to eat but do not like anymore - and am glad! - because I think the manufacturers changed their formulas and now it tastes gross to me...most notably Trix cereal, Hostess orange creme cupcakes, Hunts Snak Pak puddings, Ring dings...and about 95% of the store bought bread and rolls out there....

Other things I used to love but don't really care about any more because the calorie count is just not worth it: Oreo cookies, (well any packaged cookie, really), pop tarts, donuts (except Krispy Kreme! OMG, I could eat 6 in one sitting)...., bagels (except ones from NYC **or** NJ shore bagel shops..omg they're delicious)

Things I still adore and do treat myself to on occasion: ice cream, Froot Loops (as a dry snack though, not as breakfast), Fruity Pebbles (omg I could eat 5 servings in one sitting...), Little Debbie snack cakes & swiss rolls...

But a lot of the stuff I used to eat just doesn't even appeal to me - and I feel sad that I don't even WANT to eat it because it won't taste good the way I remembered...

• THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Basa... and I eat everything. Raw egg on rice, kimchi and even escargot, but please, no more Basa fish.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon rolls, balloon buns, sticky buns, hot rolls, orange rolls, Danish. Is there a pattern here?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    There are a lot of things I used to like to eat but do not like anymore - and am glad! - because I think the manufacturers changed their formulas and now it tastes gross to me...most notably Trix cereal, Hostess orange creme cupcakes, Hunts Snak Pak puddings, Ring dings...and about 95% of the store bought bread and rolls out there....

Other things I used to love but don't really care about any more because the calorie count is just not worth it: Oreo cookies, (well any packaged cookie, really), pop tarts, donuts (except Krispy Kreme! OMG, I could eat 6 in one sitting)...., bagels (except ones from NYC **or** NJ shore bagel shops..omg they're delicious)

Things I still adore and do treat myself to on occasion: ice cream, Froot Loops (as a dry snack though, not as breakfast), Fruity Pebbles (omg I could eat 5 servings in one sitting...), Little Debbie snack cakes & swiss rolls...

But a lot of the stuff I used to eat just doesn't even appeal to me - and I feel sad that I don't even WANT to eat it because it won't taste good the way I remembered...

Could? I have!

OP, I haven't cut anything completely but I do find that some things I used to eat without thinking just aren't worth it to me anymore. I think that probably means I didn't really like them to begin with, but ate the because they were there.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I haven't stopped eating anything I like, but I have sometimes changed when or how I eat it.

You mentioned cereal, I never eat it for breakfast anymore since it doesn't keep me full very long unless I eat 500 cals worth. But I do have it as a late night snack several times a week. I can weigh out 1 or 1.5 servings in milk, and it's something sweet and crunchy when I'm snacky. And I don't need it to keep me full since I'm going to bed in an hour.

I switched from regular soda to diet soda, I found 2 or 3 brands of diet I think are yummy and probably drink 5 or 6 a week.

Beer and wine. Haven't stopped, but only have them a couple of nights a week rather than one with dinner almost every night. :drinker:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ...You mentioned cereal, I never eat it for breakfast anymore since it doesn't keep me full very long unless I eat 500 cals worth. But I do have it as a late night snack several times a week. I can weigh out 1 or 1.5 servings in milk, and it's something sweet and crunchy when I'm snacky. And I don't need it to keep me full since I'm going to bed in an hour...

Cereal all by itself (cereal & milk) just creates a big ol' empty hole in my stomach an hour or so later. Not satiating at all. Sit me down with a box of Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal and a "serving" is the entire box! Yum. Not saying I never do that anymore, but not very often.

I do like fiber/bran type cereals (like Fiber One) mixed in with my Greek yogurt, though - I do that almost every morning. One serving is only 60 calories and it adds some bulk and crunch to the yogurt, which makes it more satiating to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Could? I have!

OP, I haven't cut anything completely but I do find that some things I used to eat without thinking just aren't worth it to me anymore. I think that probably means I didn't really like them to begin with, but ate the because they were there.

Yeah, lots of things I ate mindlessly I don't eat anymore.

Some of these things I liked, but I don't like enough to include them more than very rarely when calories are limited -- there's always something else I want to eat more. I haven't cut them out because I could eat them if I wanted, but they never seem worth it.

Many, many sweets are on this list, as I am quite picky about them now.

One example, someone brought in some blueberry pies, some pumpkin squares, and some cinnamon bread to my office. I did a quick look, decided the first two did not meet my standards, considered the cinnamon bread but then decided it wasn't worth the calories, not today. So nope.

I can't think of anything I really liked that I don't eat anymore, but there are definitely some things I eat way less often. Chicago style pizza wasn't something I ate a whole lots, but maybe once every month or so, and now I eat it like 2x a year. (I eat thin crust more often, though.)
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I cannot eat tortilla chips. I just can't control it so I have given them up completely. Other than that, there is nothing I wont eat if it fits in my cals. Of course, alcohol is a problem too because while it fits in the calories, the munchies I get are a problem and I have a hard time saying no to the munchies.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Basa... and I eat everything. Raw egg on rice, kimchi and even escargot, but please, no more Basa fish.

I had to look up Basa, never heard of it before. I thought maybe it was the equivalent of tilapia, which is the most bland, mushy, disgusting fish-like thing I've ever eaten. And I love fish - but preferably raw and on top of rice balls with some wasabi and soy.

But not tilapia. I stopped eating it, but it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread anyway because it's titled "Foods that you enjoyed but stopped eating.

Tilapia is gross, but Basa is worse. Much, much worse. :s

I stopped eating chocolate bars. I have no off switch when it comes to chocolate. And Fritos.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Lots of processed foods and fast food.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    McDonald's. There was more than a few days that I went to McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The more I ate, the more I wanted. I haven't been back since August 2017. Every now and again I get the urge to hit the drive thru, but each time I pass. I do enjoy other fast food places, but McDonald's is too touchy for me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ...You mentioned cereal, I never eat it for breakfast anymore since it doesn't keep me full very long unless I eat 500 cals worth. But I do have it as a late night snack several times a week. I can weigh out 1 or 1.5 servings in milk, and it's something sweet and crunchy when I'm snacky. And I don't need it to keep me full since I'm going to bed in an hour...

Cereal all by itself (cereal & milk) just creates a big ol' empty hole in my stomach an hour or so later. Not satiating at all. Sit me down with a box of Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal and a "serving" is the entire box! Yum. Not saying I never do that anymore, but not very often.

I do like fiber/bran type cereals (like Fiber One) mixed in with my Greek yogurt, though - I do that almost every morning. One serving is only 60 calories and it adds some bulk and crunch to the yogurt, which makes it more satiating to me.

Fiber One and Greek Yogurt is a daily staple for me. Replaced what used to be chips and candy in the afternoon.