Foods that you enjoyed but stopped eating

Options

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I gave up sweet cereals years ago. I used to eat them all the time and now the only time I do is when we have house guests that leave leftovers. It's weird but I really don't remember when or why. I do sometimes wonder if I had a bowl of Cocoa Puffs if I'd still even like it. I'm almost afraid to try it and possibly ruin that memory.

As for whether you should add them back or not, I have no idea. Why do you want to add them back?

It is not that I necessarily want to add them back. I am just trying to find the balance between eating healthier and enjoying foods that I liked. Like I mentioned, I have not had them in years. I probably had not even eaten any in years before I started losing weight so I do not miss the that much. It was just a thought I had (have).

If I'd gone without it that long without missing it I'd likely put it in the "not worth the calories" category. But that's just me. :)

Thanks but I think we are saying the same thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Basa... and I eat everything. Raw egg on rice, kimchi and even escargot, but please, no more Basa fish.

I had to look up Basa, never heard of it before. I thought maybe it was the equivalent of tilapia, which is the most bland, mushy, disgusting fish-like thing I've ever eaten. And I love fish - but preferably raw and on top of rice balls with some wasabi and soy.

But not tilapia. I stopped eating it, but it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread anyway because it's titled "Foods that you enjoyed but stopped eating.

Tilapia is passable if made into fish salad (like chicken salad) or maybe fish tacos, although I like swai better for these (another cheap, mushy, but slightly less bland fish that otherwise isn't great)..but yeah, it pretty much sucks if not chopped up and smushed into mayo and seasonings.

I grew up eating catfish, which I learned as an adult is a bottom feeder fish, but it does not bother me. I have heard that some local restaurants replace catfish with swai. The does not bother me either because I do not know the difference. Maybe the fact that it is covered in cornmeal and deep fried makes it taste good. Idk.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/01/what-the-heck-is-swai/index.htm

Just in case you were curious.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I use so much less oil now. When I do use it, it's with a purpose and always measured.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The bottle of olive oil rarely comes out of the cupboard these days. I used to eat a lot of pasta now it's practically absent from my diet. Same with butter, regular cheddar cheese and milk (I snack on babybel or string cheese and use parmesan on dishes, and have switched to cashew milk). I don't remember the last time I ate cereal. Some of the things I switched because there is a perfectly good workaround that's massively lower in calories, some because for the calories they weren't filling enough over time. Fast food is a "treat" and a rarity and usually slots right in when I'm over-hungry or tired and in a large deficit because the combo of hanger and available cals and lack of will to cook makes the decision easy. Chips are now those pop chips, I love the cheese ones and the ranch ones. Eggs for breakfast will be a scramble with veg and toast rather than a fried egg and hash browns and etc. I used to eat a lot of Indian takeout, that's gone.

I kept white bread because the difference in cals isn't a big enough save to make the sacrifice worth it (some whole grain and etc. are higher even), and I do love a white bread sandwich or toast. I make room for good chocolate or cookies.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    McDonald's. There was more than a few days that I went to McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The more I ate, the more I wanted. I haven't been back since August 2017. Every now and again I get the urge to hit the drive thru, but each time I pass. I do enjoy other fast food places, but McDonald's is too touchy for me.

I don't do it often, but every once in a while I just gotta have two Big Macs for $4.99. They're not even a particularly great burger as burgers go, but their taste is unique and every so often it just hits the spot.

Same with Der Weinerschnitzel - I can go for months and months, but once in a while I get the craving for their chili cheese dogs and nothing else will do.

But if I'm only eating Big Macs or chili cheese dogs once every couple months, it's pretty easy for me to contextualize that in my overall diet and give zero *kitten*s about it.

Maybe I will Big Mac again one day. It's still too soon. I'm more apt to get a sausage McMuffin with egg...Big Macs are their own delicious thing.

That could be a side debate in itself, lol. I've always thought Mickey D's was the worstest of the worstest for fast food breakfasts, never been a fan even in my junkiest of junk food days. I even like Jack In The Box's breakfast sandwiches better, and the Breakfast Burger from Carl's Jr/Hardees is OMG.....but 830 calories just for the burger.

I have a hard time with most fast food breakfast because I put the bulk of my calories toward the end of the day, and I feel like drive-thru breakfast "wastes" them and I don't really feel very full afterward unless I have a huge serving of berries or something to add to it. Breakfast sandwich just makes me extra hungry.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Mrs181 wrote: »
    Drinks with calories - Regular soda, juice, most alcohol, etc.
    Still enjoying a hot chocolate or the occasional glass of wine, but for the most part I prefer not to drink my calories.

I LOVE having a hot chocolate! A Swiss Miss packet isn't a huge calorie bomb and since I basically never drink calories, it's such a treat! I had a cup over the holidays and I don't think a hot chocolate ever tasted so good!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Still enjoying a hot chocolate or the occasional glass of wine, but for the most part I prefer not to drink my calories.

I LOVE having a hot chocolate! A Swiss Miss packet isn't a huge calorie bomb and since I basically never drink calories, it's such a treat! I had a cup over the holidays and I don't think a hot chocolate ever tasted so good!

I love hot chocolate over the holidays. IDK why but I never drink any other time. I use unsweetened almond milk, a little stevia, cocoa powder and Baileys. Unless the grandkids are over and then I add chocolate chips instead of stevia (and no Bailey's for them!).
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

I love hot chocolate over the holidays. IDK why but I never drink any other time. I use unsweetened almond milk, a little stevia, cocoa powder and Baileys. Unless the grandkids are over and then I add chocolate chips instead of stevia (and no Bailey's for them!).

Ohhhh. I have almond milk and cocoa powder at home. I might make some homemade this weekend! That sounds awesome.
  • Tinkachu
    Tinkachu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Muffins and those big slices of cakes they sell at the grocery store I work at. They're just a bunch of empty calories that make me hungry and crash later. Not even worth it on a cheat day in my opinion.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

But it has to be a really really good bagel to make it worth it for me. But a really good fresh bagel.....ahhhhh....

• mamamoobyul
    mamamoobyul Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Candy. Have a real sweet tooth.
    Chips/crisps. If I buy a bag I have to eat it all in one sitting. So no crisps for me anymore.
    Icecream. I tried it last month but got so ill from it. I think I may be lactose intolerant after doing low carb for a while :(
    Bread. I only eat bread when I'm with my family. I now eat eggs instead of bread.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated it, but I've really had to cut down on rice. Funny thing is I can have lots of other more unhealthy things or comparable things, like pasta or white bread, in the house, and eat them in moderation or just forget they are in the house.

But for some reason whenever I eat rice - white or brown, I just turn into a bottomless pit. And then I get really hungry again soon after, even if I'd eaten a lot. A single serving just never seems like enough.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    To whom it may concern. I made groceries last Friday and I bought a one serving cup of Froot loops. I ate them Saturday. I enjoyed them and it killed my sweet cereal craving. It was not bad, 150 calories and I enjoyed it.
  • nicokau
    nicokau Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most meat. Some junk foods and candies too, but I still eat them occasionally.
    Drinks in general - drinking calories pushes me against a wall too often.
  • erizo19
    erizo19 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    There are a lot of foods that ended up in the "not worth it" category for me. I've had some of them occasionally but just end up feeling let down because they either weren't as good as I remembered, it did nothing for my macros, or the calorie count was too high for what I got.

Yup. For me it’s Mrs. T Pierogi’s- I love ‘em but if it’s a choice between having a few of those and ending up hungry again in a few hours, versus putting the same calories towards veggies that’ll longer- just not worth it.

Also fast food and soda- I love it but when I eat clean enough my tastes start to change to the point that I enjoy them less. The soda tastes too sweet and the burgers taste too greasy.
  • Thr33N1N3
    Thr33N1N3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    "Used to" enjoy: Cheeseburgers & fries/onion rings/tots, pizza, biscuits and gravy, chocolate, chips with salsa, chili-cheese fritos, potato chips and dip, sandwiches, corndogs, ice cream, cake, and these strawberry crushed ice drinks where I used to be a barista. I'm glad I quit them.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Pasta
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Only one thing really, I just can't have peanut butter in the house. I'll finish the jar.
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have seen threads similar to this but I thought about it this weekend. I was at my sister's house and she had a box of Apple Jacks on her fridge. I said I have not had Apple Jacks in years. I used to love all the "bad" cereal, but Apple Jacks, Frosted Flakes and Fruit Loops were my favorite. Once I decided to lose weight I stopped buying cereal all together. About a year ago I tried the Special K protein cereal and I eat them when I want cereal.
    The reality of how small one serving of cereal is made me not even bother to buy other cereals. I am thinking now do I want incorporate sweet cereal back into my life or should I leave it be. Yes I do eat sweets but I do not know if I trust myself to eat 1 or 2 servings of Apple Jacks and I know after I eat them I will still be hungry..Just throwing it out there.

I have always felt the same about cereal- I like it but a serving isn't very big and it's never been filling enough. Now, I'll have 1 serving but as a treat. If I want dessert and have the room, I'll have a bowl of chocolate cheerios instead of chocolate ice cream. That way, my chocolate craving is taken care of but in a little bit better of a way. I am of the mindset that if it's something you want, you shouldn't deprive yourself. Instead, enjoy it in moderation and move on.

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I haven't completely cut out anything. There are some things I buy less often now, because the calories weren't worth it. The main thing that comes to mind is orange juice in the morning. I still buy it occasionally but I don't drink it every morning anymore, not worth the 120 calories.

Now, cream in coffee, or wine, or chocolate, or chipotle, I'm not cutting those out. You can't make me ;)