Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Increased rate of glucose transfer. But there's no glucose in artificial sweeteners, so it's a moot point. Additionally, the glucose is going to get into your cells/bloodstream anyway, so it's still a moot point.

Of course, this flies completely in the face of the idea that your body doesn't know how to process/metabolize said sweeteners.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I understad that it contains water etc however are any of you advocating never drinking water and only drinking diet pop or in the least are you advocating this is a good idea?

No, I'm disagreeing with your claim that diet soda should be cut out because it has nothing you need in it.

I didn't even consider never drinking water, as I love water.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The reason I took the extreme position was this:

I don't drink any water except in my diet coke/tea/coffee

Your body needs hydration, it is personal preference how you do that.

I took that as “I never drink water and you dont need to ever drink water”.

This seems to be a very polarizing topic! I will deff do some reading about it for my own benefit.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    The reason I took the extreme position was this:

I don't drink any water except in my diet coke/tea/coffee

Your body needs hydration, it is personal preference how you do that.

I took that as “I never drink water and you dont need to ever drink water”.

This seems to be a very polarizing topic! I will deff do some reading about it for my own benefit.

I don't. Except during a race that only provides water.
    My water comes warm with a tea bag in it. Normally nettle. Another diuretic.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    myles1230 wrote: »
    Coffee black with some cinnamon for flavor. Sugar and cream will be converted into fat. No pop at all. Diet pop is actually worse than regular pop because of the fake sugars your body doesn’t know how to break it down so it can actually make u gain weight.

Everything in your post is 100% wrong, but please do feel free to explain, in physiological terms, how a zero calorie substance can make you gain weight.

(Hint: It can't)

I’m not talking about the calories. I’m talking about the artificial sweeteners

I hate to be a major party pooper on your "artifical sweeteners" causing weight gain bandwagon, but I lost 22lbs since August 1st while having Splenda in my oatmeal and a Diet Coke EVERYDAY. Sometimes 2. And I'm still alive. And a 19.7 BMI. Am I a special unicorn?

I'll see your n=1 and raise it to n=2. I drink at least one diet soda almost every day, sometimes more. I also regularly use aspartame to sweeten my iced tea. Yet I've lost over 70 pounds and 15% of my bodyfat, am at a healthy weight/normal BMI and what is considered an "athletic/fitness" percentage of bodyfat. What is this wizardry?!?

I don't know. We must be special. Something in our DNA (my loss since August was re-gain after losing 50lbs in 2011). Still trying to master maintaining...maybe I need to stop artifical sweeteners?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Coffee black with some cinnamon for flavor. Sugar and cream will be converted into fat. No pop at all. Diet pop is actually worse than regular pop because of the fake sugars your body doesn’t know how to break it down so it can actually make u gain weight.

Everything in your post is 100% wrong, but please do feel free to explain, in physiological terms, how a zero calorie substance can make you gain weight.

I hate to be a major party pooper on your "artifical sweeteners" causing weight gain bandwagon, but I lost 22lbs since August 1st while having Splenda in my oatmeal and a Diet Coke EVERYDAY. Sometimes 2. And I'm still alive. And a 19.7 BMI. Am I a special unicorn?

I'll see your n=1 and raise it to n=2. I drink at least one diet soda almost every day, sometimes more. I also regularly use aspartame to sweeten my iced tea. Yet I've lost over 70 pounds and 15% of my bodyfat, am at a healthy weight/normal BMI and what is considered an "athletic/fitness" percentage of bodyfat. What is this wizardry?!?

I don't know. We must be special. Something in our DNA (my loss since August was re-gain after losing 50lbs in 2011). Still trying to master maintaining...maybe I need to stop artifical sweeteners?

I've been more or less in maintenance since last September. Still drinking diet soda and artificially sweetened iced tea (along with coffee & creamer as well). The only difference between losing weight and maintaining is that I've upped my calorie intake a bit.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I've been more or less in maintenance since last September. Still drinking diet soda and artificially sweetened iced tea (along with coffee & creamer as well). The only difference between losing weight and maintaining is that I've upped my calorie intake a bit.

I wish we had a sarcasm font - I was totally kidding. I'll never give the stuff up. I know my regain was from eating too much food and drinking too much beer. Not from Diet Coke and Splenda.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I was drinking over 2 liters a day of it most days, and dropped over 90 lbs. Then I had bladder surgery and my doctor wanted me to cut back on (not cut out) caffeine and fizzy stuff while I healed. So for six weeks, it was a mini-can a day and now it's 1-2 normal cans a day. I admit to being hooked on caffeine, and I never liked coffee.