Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

Options

Replies

• Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63lb in 152 days, drank coffee (black, no sugar, several cups) and Coke Zero (at least a litre) every day. Only time I drink plain water is taking pills, before, during and after workout. Or if really thirsty in summer maybe

Yeah it may not be optimal healthwise but the damage it does is piffle compared to the health benefit of dropping the weight which is enormous i.e will extend my life by 10 years or something
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    :laugh: Oh, the irony....
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lks802 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Also, check your creamer ingredients. Many of the flavored ones are non-dairy, meaning it’s mostly water and sugar (usually high fructose corn syrup). I almost died when I actually looked at ingredients. You can buy organic half and half that is only milk and cream.

So you'd been consuming it for a while without feeling any ill effects and you almost died when you noticed what was in it?

Maybe the problem isn't with the ingredients but with your perception of them.

Nope, not perception. Not anything noticeable alone, but it was only one bit of the artificial fake food to be cut out...and after getting rid of all of it, yes, felt much better.

Nobody is going to die if they put a tiny bit of crap in their diet. But why be so angry about someone suggesting to be aware of it? I’m not some whole, clean food zealot...I don’t care what other people choose to eat/drink. Eating whole, natural, organic foods will never be bad. Why eat fake sugar if you need or want to?

Actually I used to be on the organic bandwagon until I couldn't afford it anymore, and until I realized that the USDA does not really check up on companies who claim to be organic - and I was throwing a lot of money away for a pricey label.

I have actually felt much better physically every time I controlled my calorie intake, made sure I was adequately hydrated, increased exercise, all while paying attention to my nutrients: eating enough protein, fat, fiber, calcium, etc....without worrying about organic vs. non-organic. I eat/drink things that taste good to me - I'm not hyped up about "fake this" or "fake that." I eat a LOT of Lean Cuisines and other "processed" foods.

I personally don't eat artificially sweetened food because I hate the taste of it - I do not think there is anything wrong with it though. Most of the sources I have seen of the "stay away from scary processed or artificially sweetened foods" are from Practitioners of Woo.

If you feel good eating lean cuisines, then do that. The sodium content alone in those meals makes me feel awful.

I don't eat Lean Cuisines, but I pulled up the nutrition information for one at random and found that it has 600 mg of sodium (https://www.leancuisine.com/products/details/3). That's the amount in about 2 pickle spears (http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/how-much-salt-is-in-a-pickle) or two 100 g servings of cottage cheese or 100 calories of olives, all foods I can eat happily. It's also the amount in about one-third of a teaspoon of kosher salt. So if that really makes you feel awful, probably you are unusually sensitive to salt.

I personally like cooking lots of vegetables and such as part of a meal (so do many people who occasionally eat Lean Cuisines, I'd bet), but I often toss a pinch of salt on them when cooking. So I guess that's bad too.

I am. I rarely use it when cooking, and hear complaints from the family. Deli meats and cheeses also can bother me. For a while I thought it could be MSG sensitive, but not every food I ate with MSG had same effect. MSG is almost as prevalent as sodium in packaged foods. I just know high sodium foods and I don’t always get along.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The reason I took the extreme position was this:

I don't drink any water except in my diet coke/tea/coffee

Your body needs hydration, it is personal preference how you do that.

I took that as “I never drink water and you dont need to ever drink water”.

This seems to be a very polarizing topic! I will deff do some reading about it for my own benefit.

@Ryansworld84

I will grant you that is an extreme and suboptimal position, but many people do things every day that are suboptimal. Financing a car, not saving for retirement before age 40, etc.

I would certainly recommend against drinking diet cola(not to be confused with soda) as one's only hydration source, as there are risks to enamel and calcium as well as increased chances of aggravating reflux, etc. But on the risk scale, it ranks somewhere below walking across the street and driving on the freeway. It's an avoidable risk, but is unlikely to be a primary cause of death.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Also, check your creamer ingredients. Many of the flavored ones are non-dairy, meaning it’s mostly water and sugar (usually high fructose corn syrup). I almost died when I actually looked at ingredients. You can buy organic half and half that is only milk and cream.

So you'd been consuming it for a while without feeling any ill effects and you almost died when you noticed what was in it?

Maybe the problem isn't with the ingredients but with your perception of them.

Nope, not perception. Not anything noticeable alone, but it was only one bit of the artificial fake food to be cut out...and after getting rid of all of it, yes, felt much better.

Nobody is going to die if they put a tiny bit of crap in their diet. But why be so angry about someone suggesting to be aware of it? I’m not some whole, clean food zealot...I don’t care what other people choose to eat/drink. Eating whole, natural, organic foods will never be bad. Why eat fake sugar if you need or want to?

Actually I used to be on the organic bandwagon until I couldn't afford it anymore, and until I realized that the USDA does not really check up on companies who claim to be organic - and I was throwing a lot of money away for a pricey label.

I have actually felt much better physically every time I controlled my calorie intake, made sure I was adequately hydrated, increased exercise, all while paying attention to my nutrients: eating enough protein, fat, fiber, calcium, etc....without worrying about organic vs. non-organic. I eat/drink things that taste good to me - I'm not hyped up about "fake this" or "fake that." I eat a LOT of Lean Cuisines and other "processed" foods.

I personally don't eat artificially sweetened food because I hate the taste of it - I do not think there is anything wrong with it though. Most of the sources I have seen of the "stay away from scary processed or artificially sweetened foods" are from Practitioners of Woo.

If you feel good eating lean cuisines, then do that. The sodium content alone in those meals makes me feel awful. I can also eat a larger volume of food if I simply eat quality proteins and roasted fresh veggies. For me, the taste of freshly prepared far exceeds any prepackaged meal. But me saying that doesn’t mean I’m attacking those whose make different food choices.

I hear you on the organic. If I stick to seasonal fruits/veggies, the expense isn’t very noticeable to overall budget. I will always be a proponent for eating whole and fresh over packaged, but that doesn’t mean I’m criticizing others food choice. I don’t buy everything organic.

I only read OP and not the thread until I started getting quoted. I had no idea there was a debate on here. Why is paying attention to what you put in your body ever a bad thing?

And sodium has very little effect on me, and I rarely go "over" the daily recommended on MFP by very much. Everyone's different which is why it's not a good idea to make blanket statements about things
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    myles1230 wrote: »
    More popcorn please.... hold the butter! Oh wait butter is great for you according to scientists. Lmfao gtfo!

Link to studies by said scientists?