Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    myles1230 wrote: »
    Coffee black with some cinnamon for flavor. Sugar and cream will be converted into fat. No pop at all. Diet pop is actually worse than regular pop because of the fake sugars your body doesn’t know how to break it down so it can actually make u gain weight.

So wrong.
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Coffee black with some cinnamon for flavor. Sugar and cream will be converted into fat. No pop at all. Diet pop is actually worse than regular pop because of the fake sugars your body doesn’t know how to break it down so it can actually make u gain weight.

Nope, not true. That is a myth that's been debunked.

What usually happens with people who gain weight while drinking diet soda - is the same thing that happens to people who gain weight while going to the gym - they think drinking diet soda (or working out 20 mins on the treadmill) cancels out that burger or pizza they just ate that put them over their actual calorie limit for the day....
    TR0berts wrote: »

Holy Bro, Batman!

Sugar and cream will not be converted into fat, if not in a Caloric surplus. Sugar, especially.

Artificial sweeteners: if your body doesn't know how to break it down, it can't possibly make you gain weight. They'll just pass right through you. Of course, that's not what happens. And they won't make you gain weight.

So wrong.

Also, if your body doesn't "know" how to break something down . . . how can it be stored as energy (which is what fat is)? That argument, whatever type of food it is made for, makes zero sense.

Are you trying to say that if I eat at maintenance calories but some of those calories were sugar and cream I would put on fat?

And a zero calorie sweetener can put weight on me?
    lks802 wrote: »
    Ditch the diet soda because of the artificial sweeteners. Sodas in general are crap foods and coffee isn’t nearly as bad. If it’s a vice/treat for you, maybe wean off to move to seltzer water with a squeeze of lemon or lime or some other fresh fruit. I did that to drop soda and I don’t miss soda at all. I couldn’t care less to drink it again.

If you change what you put in your coffee, you don’t need to give it up. You can use whole milk, coconut or some other nut milk as creamer and maybe use 1-2 drops of liquid organic stevia to sweeten. (Organic liquid stevia can be bitter bc it’s not a processed sugar, it won’t sweeten like a Splenda, etc). Over time you can change your ratio to move towards black coffee.

What's wrong with artificial sweeteners though?

Do your research people! Please and thank you

DYEDNLB?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So wrong.
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Nope, not true. That is a myth that's been debunked.

What usually happens with people who gain weight while drinking diet soda - is the same thing that happens to people who gain weight while going to the gym - they think drinking diet soda (or working out 20 mins on the treadmill) cancels out that burger or pizza they just ate that put them over their actual calorie limit for the day....
    TR0berts wrote: »

Holy Bro, Batman!

Sugar and cream will not be converted into fat, if not in a Caloric surplus. Sugar, especially.

Artificial sweeteners: if your body doesn't know how to break it down, it can't possibly make you gain weight. They'll just pass right through you. Of course, that's not what happens. And they won't make you gain weight.

So wrong.

Also, if your body doesn't "know" how to break something down . . . how can it be stored as energy (which is what fat is)? That argument, whatever type of food it is made for, makes zero sense.

Are you trying to say that if I eat at maintenance calories but some of those calories were sugar and cream I would put on fat?

And a zero calorie sweetener can put weight on me?
    lks802 wrote: »
    Ditch the diet soda because of the artificial sweeteners. Sodas in general are crap foods and coffee isn’t nearly as bad. If it’s a vice/treat for you, maybe wean off to move to seltzer water with a squeeze of lemon or lime or some other fresh fruit. I did that to drop soda and I don’t miss soda at all. I couldn’t care less to drink it again.

If you change what you put in your coffee, you don’t need to give it up. You can use whole milk, coconut or some other nut milk as creamer and maybe use 1-2 drops of liquid organic stevia to sweeten. (Organic liquid stevia can be bitter bc it’s not a processed sugar, it won’t sweeten like a Splenda, etc). Over time you can change your ratio to move towards black coffee.

What's wrong with artificial sweeteners though?

Do your research people! Please and thank you

What research are you recommending?