Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

Replies

• dervari
    dervari Posts: 805 Member
    I cut back a lot and may have 3-4 Coke Zeros per week as a treat, such as after a long hike (assuming proper hydration with water and electrolytes during).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Out of curiosity, how many diaries did you look at and how many would you say fit what you've described? Also, did you just look at one day's worth of entries or several?

I'm asking because six days out of seven, I've got a LOT of fruits and veggies in my diet. Even when I've logged a recipe like "couscous pilaf," I can state that the recipe includes craisins, dried apricots, green peas, onion, and almonds. But if you were to look at my Saturday eating, that's where you'll find that I have potato kugel and a cookie for breakfast (with some melon). The only veggies I'm likely to have at lunch are a small portion of pickled beets. Everything else is bread, hummus, various other dips and spread, a bean-barley-and-potato stew and a lower-calorie dessert. Supper is sliced cheese on a bagel. So, if someone were to hypothetically look at one page of my diary and that page happened to be Saturday's entries, it would paint a far different picture than, say, Monday.

I'm probably not alone in this.

Also, the way I ate when I was at the beginning of my 'journey' is a bit different from the way I eat now. (Has to be. As my calories got further reduced, I started making better choices. I'm thinking that people eating as you describe on 1200(F)/1500(M) calories per day will either figure out what's more satiating quickly, up their calories, or give up.) Did the diaries you looked at belong to relative newbies, or people who've been here for awhile?

I am not one of the people referenced in the post (my diary is only open to friends), but I am similar in that someone looking at my diary wouldn't have a clear idea of how many fruits and vegetables I eat because most of them are included in recipes I've created myself. And, like you, they have names that often don't indicate how many vegetables they have in them.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2018
    I choose not to indulge in either very much but I won't give it up completely, same as alcohol. I see these things as indulgences to have every now and then but not everyday, but that's just my opinion.

Some people have it all the time and feel fine and usually are pretty healthy, but it doesn't have the same reaction for me. If I drink too much of any of those things, I gain weight because it makes me crave a lot of...you guessed it...sugar...the bad refined kind.

Such is life.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    didn't read all 8 pages, but if we're voting then i'd keep the coffee. because coffee, duh. it's an important food group that tastes great.

and incidentally because i've had more than one dentist warn me that 'diet' or not, the carbonation in any fizzy drink is not good for your teeth.
  • SportyKirsty
    SportyKirsty Posts: 28 Member
    I just gave up the diet coke coz it made me really bloated with the gas.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

That’s short lived for me. *burp*
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

That’s short lived for me. *burp*

That's the best part of diet Coke.

*classy*
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    If I have to go without my coffee, someone is going to get shanked!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Neither! I drink coffee and diet Dr Pepper everyday!