Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that I'm sure your a good person and help a lot of people and probably go through much detail with them

I am not mad nor unforgiving nor do I say you or anyone specific said this or that

No I didn't read the whole thread

I read some and have seen this blanket statement multiple times on this forum

I just felt that it Needs to be said because most times there is not all this detailed info and that blanket statement is misleading and easily misunderstood for someone whe is new looking at the forum for the first time

You've seen it multiple times, but I be tin the context of "Can I eat XX and still lose weight?" and people say "yes, calories are what matter for weight loss". HOWEVER, it's almost invariable followed up about how macros and nutrients are important for health and satiety.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean a calories is a unit of measure in energy

If you have 300 calories in pure suger vrs 300 calories in complex carbs you will have difrent longevity of energy

that would be like going to the Indy 500 with a beat up old car because a car is a car

Maybe come back when you have an understanding of what 'energy' is (in the sense of 'energy balance', which is what defines how weight is lost or gained) and it will make more sense to you.

I do now, The point is at one time I didn't, I looked for advise from those that are supposed to be experts. to say a calorie is a calorie and then say well you need to learn physics is ridiculous.

I am not going to sell and Insurance policy without breaking it down to an understandable language that people can understand in a practical real world way

Same way giving that advice to a person new to losing weight is harmful

and that's the last I will say on it

We're saying that because there are multiple types of energy. And you are confusing two of them. You are telling us we aren't correct because you aren't understanding the terms we are using. But you don't want to talk about it anymore so it is what it is I guess :drinker:

Because I don't really want to argue or make everyone angry and I can see this is going nowhere

All I wanted to do is try and make people aware that the blanket statement that a calorie is just a calorie can cause harm.

I didnt get it here when I was told this it was from my heart doctor well before I seen this forum. All I am saying is that blanket advice took me from 320lbs to 360 lbs and a lot of pain struggling with binging.

I have since went to the internet becuase I was 368 and learned how to eat right. Now I am at 305

I know see this same blanket statement on this forum and all I want is for the next person to not be misled. I am not trying to start a fight I just know the pain I have had over it and dont want to see others do the same, That is all

...but...but...

You lost weight because your caloric intake was less than your caloric output. How is this confusing?

My calorie intake is less because the calories I take in work better

Your calorie intake is less because your calorie intake is less...

If you have 300 calories in pure suger vrs 300 calories in complex carbs you will have difrent longevity of energy

that would be like going to the Indy 500 with a beat up old car because a car is a car

Maybe come back when you have an understanding of what 'energy' is (in the sense of 'energy balance', which is what defines how weight is lost or gained) and it will make more sense to you.

I do now, The point is at one time I didn't, I looked for advise from those that are supposed to be experts. to say a calorie is a calorie and then say well you need to learn physics is ridiculous.

I am not going to sell and Insurance policy without breaking it down to an understandable language that people can understand in a practical real world way

We're saying that because there are multiple types of energy. And you are confusing two of them. You are telling us we aren't correct because you aren't understanding the terms we are using. But you don't want to talk about it anymore so it is what it is I guess :drinker:

Because I don't really want to argue or make everyone angry and I can see this is going nowhere

All I wanted to do is try and make people aware that the blanket statement that a calorie is just a calorie can cause harm.

I didnt get it here when I was told this it was from my heart doctor well before I seen this forum. All I am saying is that blanket advice took me from 320lbs to 360 lbs and a lot of pain struggling with binging.

I have since went to the internet becuase I was 368 and learned how to eat right. Now I am at 305

I know see this same blanket statement on this forum and all I want is for the next person to not be misled. I am not trying to start a fight I just know the pain I have had over it and dont want to see others do the same, That is all

...but...but...

You lost weight because your caloric intake was less than your caloric output. How is this confusing?

Just by osmosis right

All I needed to do was wait for osmosis to begin

What? How can you go through the posts we've had here and get to osmosis as the reason you lost weight?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that I'm sure your a good person and help a lot of people and probably go through much detail with them

I am not mad nor unforgiving nor do I say you or anyone specific said this or that

I just felt that it Needs to be said because most times there is not all this detailed info and that blanket statement is misleading and easily misunderstood for someone whe is new looking at the forum for the first time

Point us to a thread where the concept of a calorie is a calorie is stated that does not include, in the post itself or in those posts on the same page, that nutrition and satiety are also important. You say this is common place then he shouldn't be hard to find.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

...but...but...

...but...but...

Just by osmosis right

Now you're just being ridiculous.

You lost weight because you lowered your calorie level.

The method through which you sustainably lowered your calorie level involved you changing the sources of the calories you consumed.

The method of lowering the calorie intake doesn't change the scientific fact that weight loss occurred because you lowered your calorie intake.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options

And you still don't get it...
    1. You found a way of eating that works for you - this is terrific!
    2. Calories are all that matter for WEIGHT loss
    3. Nutrition is important for health
    4. Calories are inherent in all foods (there also calories in water, wood, rocket fuel, etc)
    5. There is no such thing a broccoli calorie or a potato chip calorie - calories are simply calories
    6. You can eat a total *kitten* diet and as long as you eat fewer calories than you burn, you WILL lose weight (do some google searches on the twinkie diet or the McDonalds diet if you don't believe me).
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Did you post more context in any of these multiple posts you've seen? Or did you decide all the newbies were most likely to hang out in the debate forum rather than having it blocked?

Did you post more context in any of these multiple posts you've seen? Or did you decide all the newbies were most likely to hang out in the debate forum rather than having it blocked?

No just guess seeing it so many times I finally decided to voice it

Where? Show us some of these posts
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.
    Don't confuse energy with nutrients
    The body breaks your food down to simple units to use, it uses these individual units the same way regardless of the source

Third post in this thread.
  • myinsbroker
    myinsbroker Posts: 24 Member
    Options

...but...but...

...but...but...

Just by osmosis right

What? How can you go through the posts we've had here and get to osmosis as the reason you lost weight?

...but...but...

...but...but...

Just by osmosis right

It was in response to the person who commented that changing the type of foods I get calories from had no effect on me losing weight
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    A calorie is a measure of energy, so technically, a calorie is a calorie. However, the composition of those calories can be different, and our bodies process them differently (carbs, fats, proteins, etc).
    The nutrients from which the energy is obtained can be different which doesn't negate the fact that a calorie is a measure of energy and all calories are calories regardless of their source. Calories are fungible. For body energy balance, 100 calories obtained from apples are exactly equal to 100 calories from Oreos.

5th post in the thread.
  • myinsbroker
    myinsbroker Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

...but...but...

To elaborate. You ate "better" (whatever "better" is to you) which more than likely means you were eating more less calorie dense foods and less of the heavy calorie dense foods than you were eating before.

Which means *DRUM ROLL* - you were eating less calories and therefore by the powers of SCIENCE, I deem you were eating less calories (regardless of calorie origins) and therefore lost weight because you were eating less than was required to maintain your weight.

I eat less calories over all because the calories I changed to gave me more energy that last longer and also no longer binge eat because the calories I eat now fulfill me, So I am not starving any more

That's all good and well but the point is..you were/are consuming less calories, right?

Yes because the calories I now eat work better empowering me to take in less calories overall, I cant say I eat less sometimes I eat more but the calories are now less because I don't have to binge every couple week's any more & I am not suffering with hunger anymore

Okay, so you were eating less calories. Again, it's great you are finding better satiety with how you are eating now, but the fact of the matter is you are eating less calories. Period. Therefore it is no surprise you lost weight.

Even if you ate "not so good" and you didn't find as good of satiety but you were eating those foods in a deficit, you would still lose weight.

...but...but...

To elaborate. You ate "better" (whatever "better" is to you) which more than likely means you were eating more less calorie dense foods and less of the heavy calorie dense foods than you were eating before.

Which means *DRUM ROLL* - you were eating less calories and therefore by the powers of SCIENCE, I deem you were eating less calories (regardless of calorie origins) and therefore lost weight because you were eating less than was required to maintain your weight.

I eat less calories over all because the calories I changed to gave me more energy that last longer and also no longer binge eat because the calories I eat now fulfill me, So I am not starving any more

That's all good and well but the point is..you were/are consuming less calories, right?

Yes because the calories I now eat work better empowering me to take in less calories overall, I cant say I eat less sometimes I eat more but the calories are now less because I don't have to binge every couple week's any more & I am not suffering with hunger anymore

Okay, so you were eating less calories. Again, it's great you are finding better satiety with how you are eating now, but the fact of the matter is you are eating less calories. Period. Therefore it is no surprise you lost weight.

Even if you ate "not so good" and you didn't find as good of satiety but you were eating those foods in a deficit, you would still lose weight.
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

...but...but...

You’re confusing calories with food.
    Perhaps you’re consuming fewer calories because you’re eating foods that leave you feeling more full.
    That’s not eating “different kinds of calories.”

Exactly
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

...but...but...

...but...but...

Just by osmosis right

...but...but...

...but...but...

Just by osmosis right

It was in response to the person who commented that changing the type of foods I get calories from had no effect on me losing weight

Not directly no. The types of foods you ate had an effect on compliance/your ability to maintain a deficit. But the number of calories, if held constant in both scenarios, would have resulted in the same losses. It's just that focusing on nutrition increased satiety.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

...but...but...

...but...but...

Just by osmosis right

...but...but...

...but...but...

Just by osmosis right

It didn't. The fact that you still don't understand what people are saying about the differences between calories, nutrients and satiety leads me to believe that no matter what anyone says, since this has been patiently explained directly to you, that you will not understand or that you are willfully misinterpreting things just to antagonize us.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

...but...but...

So you improved your nutrition and feel better. That's great! You still lost weight because you're now consuming fewer calories than you burn.

...but...but...

So you improved your nutrition and feel better. That's great! You still lost weight because you're now consuming fewer calories than you burn.

Exactly I eat better food that gives longer energy keeps me full which empowers me to lose wait

The say blanket statement calories is a calorie to a person who is first trying to lose weight can be very misleading

Au contraire, to say a calorie isn't a calorie is what is confusing. Nutrition matters. Doesn't change the effect of calories in the energy balance equation.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

...but...but...

...but...but...

Exactly I eat better food that gives longer energy keeps me full which empowers me to lose wait

The say blanket statement calories is a calorie to a person who is first trying to lose weight can be very misleading

Unless it is accompanied with further information regarding the importance of nutrition for health and satiety, which is almost always is in the responding post and, if not there, in subsequent posts by subsequent posters.

I'd really consider that perhaps the fault often lies with the party who stops listening at " a calorie is a calorie" and fails to pay attention or logically consider that the source of the calories will contribute to how healthy they are and how satisfied they remain.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

...but...but...

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png