Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But it doesn't change that 1 hp is 1 hp.

Measured at the flywheel or the rear wheels?

:devil:

MUAH HA HA HA HA - don't go splitting hairs now- you'll complicate things!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean a calories is a unit of measure in energy

If you have 300 calories in pure suger vrs 300 calories in complex carbs you will have difrent longevity of energy

that would be like going to the Indy 500 with a beat up old car because a car is a car

Maybe come back when you have an understanding of what 'energy' is (in the sense of 'energy balance', which is what defines how weight is lost or gained) and it will make more sense to you.

I do now, The point is at one time I didn't, I looked for advise from those that are supposed to be experts. to say a calorie is a calorie and then say well you need to learn physics is ridiculous.

I am not going to sell and Insurance policy without breaking it down to an understandable language that people can understand in a practical real world way

Same way giving that advice to a person new to losing weight is harmful

and that's the last I will say on it

We're saying that because there are multiple types of energy. And you are confusing two of them. You are telling us we aren't correct because you aren't understanding the terms we are using. But you don't want to talk about it anymore so it is what it is I guess :drinker:

Because I don't really want to argue or make everyone angry and I can see this is going nowhere

All I wanted to do is try and make people aware that the blanket statement that a calorie is just a calorie can cause harm.

I didnt get it here when I was told this it was from my heart doctor well before I seen this forum. All I am saying is that blanket advice took me from 320lbs to 360 lbs and a lot of pain struggling with binging.

I have since went to the internet becuase I was 368 and learned how to eat right. Now I am at 305

I know see this same blanket statement on this forum and all I want is for the next person to not be misled. I am not trying to start a fight I just know the pain I have had over it and dont want to see others do the same, That is all

...but...but...

You lost weight because your caloric intake was less than your caloric output. How is this confusing?

My calorie intake is less because the calories I take in work better

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

Why are people feeding the T ........

I think someone has made a second account...again.

kvcu3.jpg
  • myinsbroker
    myinsbroker Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

If you have 300 calories in pure suger vrs 300 calories in complex carbs you will have difrent longevity of energy

that would be like going to the Indy 500 with a beat up old car because a car is a car

Maybe come back when you have an understanding of what 'energy' is (in the sense of 'energy balance', which is what defines how weight is lost or gained) and it will make more sense to you.

I do now, The point is at one time I didn't, I looked for advise from those that are supposed to be experts. to say a calorie is a calorie and then say well you need to learn physics is ridiculous.

I am not going to sell and Insurance policy without breaking it down to an understandable language that people can understand in a practical real world way

We're saying that because there are multiple types of energy. And you are confusing two of them. You are telling us we aren't correct because you aren't understanding the terms we are using. But you don't want to talk about it anymore so it is what it is I guess :drinker:

Because I don't really want to argue or make everyone angry and I can see this is going nowhere

All I wanted to do is try and make people aware that the blanket statement that a calorie is just a calorie can cause harm.

I didnt get it here when I was told this it was from my heart doctor well before I seen this forum. All I am saying is that blanket advice took me from 320lbs to 360 lbs and a lot of pain struggling with binging.

I have since went to the internet becuase I was 368 and learned how to eat right. Now I am at 305

I know see this same blanket statement on this forum and all I want is for the next person to not be misled. I am not trying to start a fight I just know the pain I have had over it and dont want to see others do the same, That is all

...but...but...

You lost weight because your caloric intake was less than your caloric output. How is this confusing?

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

kvcu3.jpg

Really now you are resorting to false accusations?

Wow

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,325 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

...but...but...

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

@moosmum1972 is not a troll, or a troll's sock puppet. @moosmum1972 has a reasonable posting history as just a regular poster like any of us other regular posters.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

...but...but...

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

kvcu3.jpg

Wow

Have you gone back to read this thread in it's entirety, or at least the first few pages where good helpful information was shared about why a calorie is a calorie, but nutrition and satiety are important factors to consider in building a sustainable plan for oneself? Have you read any of the stickied posts I suggested?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

...but...but...

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

@moosmum1972 is not a troll, or a troll's sock puppet. @moosmum1972 has a reasonable posting history as just a regular poster like any of us other regular posters.

and still cant' be bothered to get a real picture.

That's always amusing to me. And people push back so vehemently against being called a troll. But can't take that simple step. I know it's not fool proof in "troll prevention"- but it certainly helps.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

...but...but...

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

Was not referring to her, I think you misunderstood.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

...but...but...

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

I dont have any brain cells left after reading this thread to create a second persona....but troll sock puppet sounds like fun...

It wasn't a reference to you, she misread what I was posting.

The problem is that socks are all over ever forum, they are a dark side of the forums.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

...but...but...

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

kvcu3.jpg

Wow

Have you gone back to read this thread in it's entirety, or at least the first few pages where good helpful information was shared about why a calorie is a calorie, but nutrition and satiety are important factors to consider in building a sustainable plan for oneself? Have you read any of the stickied posts I suggested?

Yes I understand what you are saying,

What I will say and I dont read the forum all the time, honestly when I go to add to my diary and I see a thread that sounds interesting on that left side I might click and that is how I ran into this thread yesterday so I dont frequent this forum. However in the past I have seen it said simple a calorie is just a calorie and if there is any question it is meet with the " does 10 Lbs of rocks wiegh more then 10 lbs of feathers " cliche

If I seen it most times presented difrently like it is now after back and forth then we wouldnt be speaking about this right now

All I am saying is when it was rpesented to me ( not on this forum) I didnt know enough to question, I was dont dont get crazy with this or that just keeep under the calories, I didnt know anything aboout fiber protien fat to keep full or complexe carbs for lasting energy

If it was said more times (like it is now present and has been presented in this thread) a calorie is just a calorie but nutrients can make the difrence in meeeting calorie cgoals we wouldnt be having this conversation righ now

So you click into a thread at the tail end of however many pages, apparently scan the last few comments and then post assuming that all the pages you didn't read

1) Somehow didn't address the original poster's question
    and
    2) The last few comments are representative of the entire umpages in the thread
    then
    3) Jump in with both feet with single-minded fevour to defend an idea that no serious poster in the thread ever presented

And you want to clarify things for newbys. Because the rest of us don't know what we're talking about.

You forgot

4) Doesn't even frequent this forum (so I'm having a little trouble understanding how they know we're always sooo bad at saying 'Nutrition matters.')

Ah, yes - excellent addition.