dairy or soy milk

Options
I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on which to drink, I'm pre diabetic, I switched from 1% dairy milk to original soy milk, because it's lower in sugar. I'd rather drink dairy, it's cheaper and I like it better, but I'll stick with which ever is better for me.

Replies

• 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don’t like soy because there have been a lot of studies on hormone issues among other things, so I go with almond milk instead.

I tried almond milk, I didn't like it. I do like and drink chocolate almond milk though
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    There's just 4 grams of sugar difference per cup between the two (8 for soy, 12 for dairy). If you prefer dairy milk, go ahead and have it!

I'm diabetic myself and we keep 2% in our house. Recently my doctor cut my metformin dose in half, and my BG's doing so well that I'll soon be off it. I'm able to do this because I eat food I like, in reasonable portions. It's a sustainable diet for me. If you force yourself to eat stuff you don't like, you won't be happy sustaining it. Be kind to yourself.

I like the soy milk, I just like the dairy better....
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on which to drink, I'm pre diabetic, I switched from 1% dairy milk to original soy milk, because it's lower in sugar. I'd rather drink dairy, it's cheaper and I like it better, but I'll stick with which ever is better for me.

As long as you doctor has no issues, drink dairy.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened soy and almond milk but then, even as a child I couldn't stand the taste of milk. I think this decision is a totally personal one, though, because I've never heard that milk is a problem. However, the American Diabetes Association would have good info:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My husband likes fairlife..it has a lot less sugar.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I love milk. My stomach hates soy, and tends to expel even small amounts out forcfully and with as much pain as possible. Plus I'm one of the lucky few adults witn NO lactose intolerance issues.Even though my IBS is triggered easily other ways.
    For me the choice is easy, lol.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like getting the unsweetened coconut milk blends. The kinds I get have like 4 grams sugar per serving and I find the coconut milk mixed in gives it a better consistency and a sweeter taste without extra sugar in the vanilla flavored soy milk. We always use it in our cereal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    I don’t like soy because there have been a lot of studies on hormone issues among other things, so I go with almond milk instead.

I tried almond milk, I didn't like it. I do like and drink chocolate almond milk though

I imagine it varies by brand, but Blue Diamond chocolate almond milk has 20 g of sugar per cup, compared to 12 g per cup for dairy milk, so that seems counterproductive to your goal.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Just drink the dairy, there isn't really much difference.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk ... tastes better than real milk.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    For myself, I'll stick to dairy.

But then again, I have a soy intolerance or potentially an allergy to it, but I'd have to go in to the doctor to get that checked out (extremely painful bloating and diarrhea after consuming anything with soy). So I just avoid it.

Almond milk has a weird taste to me. But that might just have been the brand I tasted.

Bottom line: if you like it, and it doesn't give you symptoms of an allergy or intolerance, then it's really only a matter of personal preference.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Dairy also has more protein, I drink skimmed milk in coffee and semi-skimmed in my porridge. Caloriewise there is not much difference between dairy and soy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    Myself - low fat dairy milk - or full fat if low fat not available

I dont like the taste of other 'milks' - soy etc

But drink whichever you prefer - no 'better for you' one really.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Both for me. I like to have a glass of dairy sometimes and I use it to make porridge or scrambled eggs. When I have weetabix I use soy milk as it's sweet enough by itself I don't need to add any sugar.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I use both soy in my tea at work and dairy at home, I was also pre diabetic beginning of this year, to be fair just losing weight sorted it out also lowering my carbs and increasing my protein a little (I am a total carb *kitten*) but that's just me, I'd say do whatever your doctor advises.