dairy or soy milk

Options

Replies

• megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Dairy has the most protein so that’s what I drink, either 2% or whole milk. I don’t like soy and I have a preference against almond milk (mostly as it pertains to the massive amount of water it takes to grow and make almonds/almond milk)(google it). Anyway I like milk and while I don’t usually drink it plain I love lattes (no sugar added). Milk is a “whole food” and less likely to have a significant impact on blood sugars due to the balance of lactose to fats to protein. This is also why skim dairy isn’t as nutritionally good for you as it takes the fat away which helps slow digestion and also fat is needed to help some vitamins be used by the body. In reality the marketing ploy that we need milk isn’t really true anyway as you can get those vitamins and macros from other foods too.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    I never understand people being possessive over the word milk. No ones confused about soy milk and what it is. It’s like being upset that coconut meat is called meat. Just let people have their things.

Yes i did admit it was pedantic

Nobody was upset though - i just like accurate labelling.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I never understand people being possessive over the word milk. No ones confused about soy milk and what it is. It’s like being upset that coconut meat is called meat. Just let people have their things.

That’s fair. I just get to hear the “whys it even called a veggie burger it’s not a burger” type comments way too often and it’s the kinda thing that makes you wanna scream.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on which to drink, I'm pre diabetic, I switched from 1% dairy milk to original soy milk, because it's lower in sugar. I'd rather drink dairy, it's cheaper and I like it better, but I'll stick with which ever is better for me.

When I drink milk, I drink whole cow milk. I very rarely drink milk though. I prefer to save my calories for food as it is more satisfying to me. I use milk more in cooking than as a beverage.

Why are you drinking milk? Because you like the taste or for protein or calcium?
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/08/milk-substitutes-should-you-sip-or-skip/index.htm
    If your concern is sugar then I guess look at how it fits your whole day, reduce the amount of milk you consume or switch to something else.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Dairy for nutrition. Goat is preferable to cow because the end result is of a more human weight. the dominant casein is type 2 as in human milk which makes the inevitable lactose more easy for the majority to digest also it contains less in the way of growth homones naturally.

Soy is an over exploited pea. Avoiding it in its processed and furmented forms is nigh on impossible for those who are known to react to it, taking a digestive enzyme may help but its not an option for many.

But Please, everyone only do what is right for youself, in this world of health the only outcome which matters is what is right for yourself.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    I really wanted to let this go, but I'm just too curious. Why al the woo's for my reply? Am I not allowed to prefer the taste of soy milk? Is cow milk not originally intented to grow baby cows into healthy, strong, big cows? I'm really just stating my personal preferences here?

Because it's a bad argument. There is no "intent" in nature and what anyone consumes. But if you're going with the "original purpose" thing, then soy beans aren't intended to be made into a drink either or consumed at all. They're intended to grow into a new soy plant, but here we are.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Why not both? Lol

I'm an almond and coconut milk person myself >_> I got off of regular milk initially to be able to enjoy cereals with less calories. Now that most of the weight's gone, I drink whole milk on occasion when the mood strikes. Never had soy milk.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

If it causes confusion as is, I'd agree, but it doesn't as far as I can tell. I think <food> milk is understood to everyone to be <food> milk substitute, but i'm not particularly offended if they add the word substitute either, i suppose.

Do you feel the same about peanut butter, out of curiosity, since it's not butter, and has no butter in it.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on which to drink, I'm pre diabetic, I switched from 1% dairy milk to original soy milk, because it's lower in sugar. I'd rather drink dairy, it's cheaper and I like it better, but I'll stick with which ever is better for me.

It might not be the answer you want, the diabetic educators in the practice I worked in would recommend to all diabetics and pre-diabetics to try the hardest to not drink your carbs/calories because you can lose count. They advised drinking a glass of dairy, soda, etc to be seen as an occasional treat instead of something to go alongside of your meal. It was a little drastic, but their rationale were that a lot of people were not realizing the impact that some beverages were having. I've personally seen a woman's A1C go from 13 to 9 in a 3 month window just from giving up her tea (she would pour in tons of sugar), and one patient's a1c went from 5.9 to 7.2 (prediabetic to diabetic) in a 3 month window with the only dietary change being that she is a driver by job and McDonald's started their summer all drinks $1 promo and once or twice a shift when she was thirsty she would get a large sweet tea. Once she switched to water she went back down to 6.0.

I really recommend working even a session or two with a diabetic-certified dietician. They are really great at helping you determine overall what will fit in well and they will help you monitor progress. We've seen a huge improvement in A1Cs with people who check in with them so much so that the family practice got accredited and added them to be on-site
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

There is no science on "better" for you. It very much is a choice you make for yourself based upon all you care about. For instance, I had forever been using 2% milk. When I started using myfitnesspal, I learned that my body needed dietary fat to function properly. Thus, I switched to using whole milk. It's all just food, log it accurately and stay within your calorie budget, and also within your money budget, and you'll be fine.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    I really wanted to let this go, but I'm just too curious. Why al the woo's for my reply? Am I not allowed to prefer the taste of soy milk? Is cow milk not originally intented to grow baby cows into healthy, strong, big cows? I'm really just stating my personal preferences here?

Because it's a bad argument. There is no "intent" in nature and what anyone consumes. But if you're going with the "original purpose" thing, then soy beans aren't intended to be made into a drink either or consumed at all. They're intended to grow into a new soy plant, but here we are.

Thanks for explaining it better than I could.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

When I drink milk, I drink whole cow milk. I very rarely drink milk though. I prefer to save my calories for food as it is more satisfying to me. I use milk more in cooking than as a beverage.

Why are you drinking milk? Because you like the taste or for protein or calcium?
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/08/milk-substitutes-should-you-sip-or-skip/index.htm
    If your concern is sugar then I guess look at how it fits your whole day, reduce the amount of milk you consume or switch to something else.

I drink "milk" every morning with breakfast, I have my entire life, I'm 48, it's not something I would ever think of stopping. I take a few pills and I don't like taking them with water, and I really don't like orange juice or many other types of juice.
    I won't stop drinking "milk" unless my Dr tells me I have to stop. I only drink 1 glass of milk every morning, but I do have about 2-4 servings of dairy most days.
    I would love to drink whole milk or 2%, but I can't quite justify the added fat, when I like the 1% just fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm another who doesn't really drink milk. I add it to smoothies and oats sometimes, and for that purpose I prefer homemade cashew milk, in part because I keep in the whole cashews. Would I drink it alone? Probably not. I'd eat cashews. I like drinking dairy milk (and love goat's milk), but milk as a beverage just isn't worth the calories to me.

The question for you is whether the sugar difference matters due to your IR. If you are consuming it alone, maybe it would -- I'd test and see. Most people consume milk with other things (like with a meal), so that's likely to make a difference. Also, I know people who are IR may react differently to different carb sources (including different sugars sometimes) and milk is lactose, not glucose (or sucrose, which is half glucose). Another reason to test and see if there is a difference.

I expect how much you drink overall matters.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you’re looking to maybe switch some things - like I use milk for cooking a lot, unsweetened soy probably packs the smallest punch for sugar with only 1 gram per cup. Maybe you could keep your drinking milk as dairy and cut down elsewhere?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don’t like soy because there have been a lot of studies on hormone issues among other things, so I go with almond milk instead.

Studies? Not really.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    My mother's oncologist said that soy milk, and how it's processed is a known contributor to cancer, so there's that. I dislike pretty much all milk so I'm safe there.

In what way? Soy milk is made by soaking and grinding beans, boiling the results, and then straining out particulates. It's also the basis of tofu, so I'm unsure how solid the link between the production of soy milk and cancer can be as I'm not aware of any good evidence linking tofu consumption to higher cancer rates.

honestly I have no idea. He told her to stop drinking it. And personally I'm going to trust the doctor who pretty much saved her life. As for processing, I'm sure it's different in Japan vs the US. I think it's not the actual product but how the US processes it.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Why not both? Lol

I'm an almond and coconut milk person myself >_> I got off of regular milk initially to be able to enjoy cereals with less calories. Now that most of the weight's gone, I drink whole milk on occasion when the mood strikes. Never had soy milk.

I kinda drink both, I'll drink soy or dairy milk in the am and choc. almond milk in the pm.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I drink both. If i'm not getting enough protein in my diet I'll switch to soy for a while, and if i'm easily reaching protein I switch back to almond. I do prefer the taste of almond though, and the fact that it has around half the calories.