dairy or soy milk

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    My mother's oncologist said that soy milk, and how it's processed is a known contributor to cancer, so there's that. I dislike pretty much all milk so I'm safe there.

In what way? Soy milk is made by soaking and grinding beans, boiling the results, and then straining out particulates. It's also the basis of tofu, so I'm unsure how solid the link between the production of soy milk and cancer can be as I'm not aware of any good evidence linking tofu consumption to higher cancer rates.

If it did the Japanese would all be dead...deep fried tofu strips on noodle broth is the bomb

Love deep fried tofu, it's so good in soups!

I love it warm on a cold salad.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    I did not "woo" your reply, but I can't imagine that anyone is thinking you're not *allowed* to have preferences. It's just that when you express your preferences, people are also allowed to express their opinion of them. Even our personal preferences can draw a reaction from others.
    vingogly wrote: »
    Since MFP made the bad decision to add a woo button, people appear to be using it to "punish" people they disagree with or dislike for reasons of their own. Ignore them.

Thanks. I personally only use the woo button for broscience or simply very rude posts. Everyone is different and everyone has different preferences, so 'woo'-ing everyone with a different opinion seems a bit off to me and in this case it made me wonder. Thanks again for the clarification so far.

I was always under the assumption that woo was short for woohoo, i.e. something to hoot about, but it seems that on here it's something negative, too bad.

Me too!!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Go for what makes you happy Golden Eye!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    I would avoid dairy if you are looking to reduce risk of diabetes. That being said, there are plenty of plant based milks, not just soy, if you wanted to try out other options. I usually go with almond, just a taste preference.

I tried it, I didn't like it, but I did only try one brand, not all of them, I disliked the one I tried so much I threw it away, I was afraid to try any others, I don't like wasting money like that...
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk to soy, and either one to cow milk. Granted, I'm also lactose intolerant, but cruelty free milk is pretty awesome :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, milk comes from cows. All the other "substitutes" don't taste like milk and aren't milk. Almond milk should be called almond water, and soy milk just tastes vile, neither taste anything like real milk.

Well, being really pedantic - milk comes from mammals.

So human milk, goats milk, sheeps milk etc are still milk and some humans do drink them

But, yes, I agree - soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk etc should really be called milk substitutes.

Nothing wrong with using them of course - but they are not milk.

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, milk comes from cows. All the other "substitutes" don't taste like milk and aren't milk. Almond milk should be called almond water, and soy milk just tastes vile, neither taste anything like real milk.

Well, being really pedantic - milk comes from mammals.

So human milk, goats milk, sheeps milk etc are still milk and some humans do drink them

But, yes, I agree - soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk etc should really be called milk substitutes.

Nothing wrong with using them of course - but they are not milk.

Soy juice? Nut juice?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    soy milk substitute, nut milk substitute.........

(like I said in my post)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My first choice is whole raw milk, but (not ultra) pasteurized grassfed milk will do in a budget or supply crunch.

I love the taste of soy milk, but my hormones do not like it at all so I haven't had any for the past decade or so. I miss it, but it's nice not to have hot flashes, acne, migraines, menstrual cramps, and insane psychotic mood swings.

I'm neutral on homemade almond milk. It tastes okay, but isn't really a milk substitute to me. The commercial kinds taste like water gone bad and contain ingredients I'd prefer to avoid.

And speaking of ingredients I'd prefer to avoid, I had a matcha latte made with coconut milk recently. I'm not sure of the brand of milk, but it was creamy good. I'm sure it was mostly delicious but disturbing chemicals. Too good not to be.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I never understand people being possessive over the word milk. No ones confused about soy milk and what it is. It’s like being upset that coconut meat is called meat. Just let people have their things.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    I really wanted to let this go, but I'm just too curious. Why al the woo's for my reply? Am I not allowed to prefer the taste of soy milk? Is cow milk not originally intented to grow baby cows into healthy, strong, big cows? I'm really just stating my personal preferences here?

I would guess many people reading this would consider this comment a critique on their diet and they think you are in no place to critique their diet.