Seeking information/advice regarding ice cream

Options

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I know McDonalds use to not use real ice cream for their shakes or cones, I don't know if that is still the case. Probably better to get real ice cream at the store or from an ice cream parlor :P

I worked at McDonalds for several years in my younger days, and am always shocked at how frequently people claim their products aren't made with 'real' whatever. The ice cream there is a combination of milk and cream, sugar and vanilla flavoring. Then there's sweeteners (dextrose, I believe. Also glucose), and guar gum, and a couple other things I can't remember but could probably google. Those ingredients are primarily used to prevent ice crystals from forming, and to keep the texture/color. I spent a lot of time reading the ingredients during late shifts when I was bored, when I was cleaning. Our kitchen was absolutely spotless.

Of course, there are much better things you can eat out there. I'm not saying McDonalds is the ideal place to go an eat at, either. However, the majority of things I hear about what goes into the food just isn't accurate.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'd say go ahead and have a treat. I usually save a few calories at the end of the night for a hot chocolate or some ice cream (depends on how warm or cool it is). As long as you're within your calorie range, knock yourself out!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy McDonalds ice cream cones and you've got calories for it there is no real reason you can't have one everyday.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream on a regular basis and have had no problem losing weight.
  • an2860
    an2860 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exactly!
  • an2860
    an2860 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: There is no wrong way to eat. There is eating to much.

1. Sugar and carbs - I don't know how your doing your weight loss regime but cutting carbs/sugar is generally a good idea. Ice Cream is probably the worst thing you can eat if your trying to lose weight. Sugar spikes your insulin and will make you hungry-er. There is no nutritional value in it either. If your craving sugar you should eat some fruit. An apple or a handful of blueberries.

Also beware the serving size listed on the box. Its probably no where near what you would eat. Sometimes its as low as an 1 Oz which isn't even enough to fill a small cone.

2. Why you are craving sugar?

You should probably try to cute down on your REFINED sugar intake. Processed foods are incredibly addictive and often have hidden stuff like extra salt that will make you retain water. Also those preservatives which are toxic.

Its up to you. But I would toss the ice cream..buy some fresh fruit.

This!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...I love chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Some days I'll eat a pint of it. If I could control how much I ate I would have it every day. But I love it so much that I eat to much of it. I have extra calories from yesterday so will be taking my son out for ice cream tonight :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    i have ice cream most every night. usuaully Breyer's Blast or Blue Bunny though...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hey, so if I were to ask if it was ok to eat an ice cream cone from mcdonalds every day, the answer is obviously no. However, my question is, with specifics, why?

Why not?

Im eating ice cream tonight. After my steak dinner. It FITS
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey, so if I were to ask if it was ok to eat an ice cream cone from mcdonalds every day, the answer is obviously no. However, my question is, with specifics, why?

The nutrition information is as follows:

145 kcal, 5g fat, 17g sugar

Now, none of these numbers seem really high. Sugar could be lower but, there are many many things with higher sugar content.

Let's assume a scenario in which I couldn't care less about calories, what are my reasons for avoiding eating this food on a regular basis?

Ice cream doesn't *have* to be eaten daily, but in the summertime, why not? Just stick to one serving and fit it in.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I was half hoping somebody would say that. However, I refuse to believe that there's no catch to eating ice cream every day o_o

The only catch is that you're missing out on whatever tastier food you could have had vs. a McD's cone.

Me, if I'm getting ice cream, it ain't gonna be at McD's. Ideally, I'd be cruising to Cold Stone, but Ben & Jerry's would do. Even Baskin Robbins, in a pinch.

Dairy Queen beats them all! Peanut Buster Parfait only has about 1000 calories! :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I've had Breyer's most days in the last 10 days, often with a cone too... that's like 130 calories, 19 carbs, 5g of fat total (for like 1/4 cup of ice cream). So, pretty close. And it fits fine in my calories. It's probably 'healthier' than the McDonald's cones though, as there's no chemicals in it.

Breyer's is *definitely* the best store bought ice cream! :heart:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've had Breyer's most days in the last 10 days, often with a cone too... that's like 130 calories, 19 carbs, 5g of fat total (for like 1/4 cup of ice cream). So, pretty close. And it fits fine in my calories. It's probably 'healthier' than the McDonald's cones though, as there's no chemicals in it.

Nope. Perry's is. But you can't get that ouside of the Northeast and possibly not outside of Western and some other parts of New York. :-(
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Mmmm...

...Breyer's coffee ice cream.

I wonder which of the chemicals it's comprised of make it taste so good...

I was going to say that the lack of chemical additives is what make Breyer's taste so good! It's almost as good as fresh-churned at home.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Nope. Perry's is. But you can't get that ouside of the Northeast and possibly not outside of Western and some other parts of New York. :-(

Yeah, I never heard of it. I will amend and say it's the best store-bought in the Midwest! :bigsmile:
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would say no is because it's crappy McDonalds ice cream. I'd much prefer to save some extra calories and have the good stuff :)

But if you like it and you got the calories spare..... sure.... go for it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yeah, I never heard of it. I will amend and say it's the best store-bought in the Midwest! :bigsmile:
    I grew up with it and assumed it was national. Then I moved to the Southeast and couldn't find it and realized it's regional and I was very sad.

But now I've discovered Moose Tracks and haven't had a bad version of that in any brand, so I'm happy again. Except I can't keep it in the house because I can't eat just a little.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

The nutrition information is as follows:

145 kcal, 5g fat, 17g sugar

Now, none of these numbers seem really high. Sugar could be lower but, there are many many things with higher sugar content.

Let's assume a scenario in which I couldn't care less about calories, what are my reasons for avoiding eating this food on a regular basis?

Why is the answer "obviously no"? It's a small treat that could be incorporated into anyone's daily calorie allowance if that's what they wanted. You left out the 3g of protein that it also contributes to the eater's daily intake.

If you want a mcdonalds ice cream cone every day, you go for it, if it makes you happy - as long as it fits your macros. Just watch that you don't slip into "calorie creep" and start having stuff to go with it that doesn't fit.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Because it's not real ice cream. It's a chemical-laden garbage from McDonald's.

Eat real food.

I think it is great to include a treat in your daily calorie alocation - it has always been a key to staying on plan. That said, not to bash anyone's lifestyle choices but I have to agree with the above poster. There are better treats to put in your body than McDonalds... especially if it is going to be every day. Good luck.

If anyone is interested in actual information, McDonald's provides it as per the below. This is for a vanilla cone and it hits me as quite comparable to other soft serve ice cream choices.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.dessertsshakes.178.vanilla-reduced-fat-ice-cream-cone.html

Calories

5g
    Protein

4.5g
    Fat
    (7%)

27g
    Carbs
    (9%)

70mg
    Sodium
    (3%)

Calories from Fat 40 Dietary Fiber 0g (0%) Calcium 150mg (15%)
    Saturated Fat 3g (14%) Sugars 20g Iron 0.5mg (2%)
    Trans Fat 0g Vitamin A 300IU (6%) Vitamin C 0mg (0%)
    Cholesterol 15mg (6%) Serving Size 3.7 oz (105 g)
  • ryanprior
    Options
    Wasn't expecting this many responses, but thanks for those who have. However, nearly everyone has completed missed the point.. 'iifym', -.-, as in the OP, i couldn't care less about calories. One post a page or two back about cholesterol is the kind of thing I was after - the things that aren't obvious by just looking at a nutrition label. Anyway i'm content, thanks again.