Seeking information/advice regarding ice cream

Options
1235»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wasn't expecting this many responses, but thanks for those who have. However, nearly everyone has completed missed the point.. 'iifym', -.-, as in the OP, i couldn't care less about calories. One post a page or two back about cholesterol is the kind of thing I was after - the things that aren't obvious by just looking at a nutrition label. Anyway i'm content, thanks again.
    Cholesterol is listed on a nutrition label.

And there is a lot of controversy and differing opinions about whether dietary cholesterol is really a factor in high cholesterol.

No one missed the point. We got it. We answered. It isn't "obvious" that one should not eat a little ice cream every day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I actually like the McD's cone too and get it fairly often. Sure it's not nearly as good as "real" ice cream but it satisfies the craving with less calories and it's easy to eat on the go. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for for health impacts. It's not exactly on the clean eating list but it's probably a better choice than many other treat optionso out there considering portion control and "reduced fat".

IIFYM isn't just about calories, it's about trying to hit all goals based on your personal nutritonal needs/goals.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Hey, so if I were to ask if it was ok to eat an ice cream cone from mcdonalds every day, the answer is obviously no. However, my question is, with specifics, why?

The nutrition information is as follows:

145 kcal, 5g fat, 17g sugar

Now, none of these numbers seem really high. Sugar could be lower but, there are many many things with higher sugar content.

Let's assume a scenario in which I couldn't care less about calories, what are my reasons for avoiding eating this food on a regular basis?

Why is it not ok to eat this daily? I'm dying to hear this response!

I eat stuff like pop-tarts daily which have worse numbers then that ice cream cone and I'm at 7% body fat. Make it fit and you too can enjoy foods like this DAILY!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every, single, night. Right before bed. If you can fit it in eat it!

THIS x2
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Because it's not real ice cream. It's a chemical-laden garbage from McDonald's.

Eat real food.

I think it is great to include a treat in your daily calorie alocation - it has always been a key to staying on plan. That said, not to bash anyone's lifestyle choices but I have to agree with the above poster. There are better treats to put in your body than McDonalds... especially if it is going to be every day. Good luck.

If anyone is interested in actual information, McDonald's provides it as per the below. This is for a vanilla cone and it hits me as quite comparable to other soft serve ice cream choices.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.dessertsshakes.178.vanilla-reduced-fat-ice-cream-cone.html

Calories

5g
    Protein

4.5g
    Fat
    (7%)

27g
    Carbs
    (9%)

70mg
    Sodium
    (3%)

Calories from Fat 40 Dietary Fiber 0g (0%) Calcium 150mg (15%)
    Saturated Fat 3g (14%) Sugars 20g Iron 0.5mg (2%)
    Trans Fat 0g Vitamin A 300IU (6%) Vitamin C 0mg (0%)
    Cholesterol 15mg (6%) Serving Size 3.7 oz (105 g)

Some might even argue that it might be better to eat a McDonalds ice cream cone over, say, a store-bought brand because it's made of milk and cream and not just cream- so it's a bit lower in fat. I guess it depends on what your nutritional goals are.

(Oy, two posts coming off like I'm praising McDonalds. I'm really not trying to promote this place, guys!)
  • andresconejo
    Options
    I've never tasted Ben&Jerry's but Breyer's it's THE BEST light ice cream i've tasted so far...
    Also i've heard about Arctic Zero which is only 150 calories per pint! but i've never had it cause it's sold in the USA.

I eat a "special treat" every night like chocolates or ice cream, and actually lost weight, just make it fit :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...

...Breyer's coffee ice cream.

I wonder which of the chemicals it's comprised of make it taste so good...

I was going to say that the lack of chemical additives is what make Breyer's taste so good! It's almost as good as fresh-churned at home.

Impossible.

Everyone knows they add addictive chemicals to make us crave it fortnightly.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Because of the things in the ingredients list I prefer not to eat.

This from McD's site for a 3.7 oz. (105g) Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone:

VANILLA REDUCED FAT ICE CREAM
    Ingredients: Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate

ICE CREAM CONE
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Tapioca Starch, Sugar, Shortening (Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Soy Lecithin [Emulsifier]), Leavening (Baking Soda, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Salt, Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Annatto (Color), Caramel Color, Corn Syrup (Processing Aid).

170 Calories
    5g Protein
    4.5g Fat
    27g Carbs
    70mg Sodium

I rather still eat 1 cup of frozen cherries stirred into 1/2 a cup of unadorned Greek yogurt for about the same number of calories with better numbers per serving.

1/2 cup (113g) Fage non-fat Greek yogurt:
    65 Calories
    12g Protein
    0g Fat
    5g Carbs
    43mg Sodium

1 cup (140g) Dole Frozen Dark Sweet Cherries:
    90 Calories
    2g Protein
    0g Fat
    18g Carbs
    0mg Sodium

Compare
    for 109g McD's
    170 Calories
    5g Protein
    4.5g Fat
    27g Carbs
    70mg Sodium

to
    for 253g of the good stuff
    155 Calories
    14g Protein
    0g Fat
    23g Carbs
    43mg Sodium
    plus a whole lot of vitamins and minerals the McD's product doesn't have.

Which would I choose to eat on a regular basis? DUH.