Millennials compared to your generation

Options

Replies

• cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Aside from the technological issues, which makes Millennials more likely to have their noses in their phones and always taking selfies, tweeting, instagramming and texting, I think Millennials feel they are more entitled and don't have to work their way up to a level of comfort that they had at home.

I moved out in 1972, joined the Marines and when I got out 4 years later and got my own apartment, I worked 60+ hours a week. My home was furnished with a bean bag chair, a mattress on the floor, shelving for my stereo on cinder blocks and bricks. I had a hand-me-down TV that my Grandma gave me.

When my daughters moved out, they all had big-screen TV's, new cars, fully furnished apartments, the latest cell phones (which they exchange every time the next generation comes out).

I think the biggest reason that they can affect this step up in comfort is credit. I had no access to credit cards when I was their age, so I had to save up for everything and pay in full. Credit Companies are shoving credit down Millennial's throats now. It's a shame.

Actually Millennials are significantly less likely to use credit cards or buy things on credit. I'm a Millennial (30 years old) and I almost never purchase anything on credit. The only reason I was able to buy a house with almost no credit history was because I made a 60% down payment.

It's not just me either, this is a measurable trend:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/09/pf/millennials-credit-cards/index.html
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My generation was never consistently shat on the way millenials are.

If you are Gen X I totally disagree. Where Gen X was disillusioned, Millenials weren't, because to be disillusioned, you had to have had expectations in the first place.

Gen X grew up more idealistic, thinking that our lives would be like our parents in terms of jobs, the economy, marriage, religion, education, etc, and almost none of those resemble anything that we expected in the 1970s and 80s. That is why the music of our 20s was Grunge, a sort of colorless, dark, angry lashing out against what we realized life would actually be like in the 1990s and beyond.

I believe that Millenials have had a more somber outlook which wasn't really brightened by boy bands, participation trophies, and cool electronics, and that is why being a Youtuber or a dot-com billionaire is so appealing, it is winning the lottery, rather than working some crappy service job for minimum wage and paying off 6 figure student loans while living in a cheap apartment and driving a beat-up Honda Civic.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Never mind
  • daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Gen X-er here. I get annoyed when people bash on millennials as if they there is something innately superior about themselves and their generation. The perceived weaknesses (and strengths) of millennials are mostly products of the culture and events.
  • traynortransportation
    Options

It's all those gen x-ers being on their damn computers and smartphones! :D

And some of us baby boomers to, guilty!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

It's all those gen x-ers being on their damn computers and smartphones! :D

And some of us baby boomers to, guilty!!

Growing up I rarely saw my dad and grandfathers' faces at the breakfast/dinner table because they were buried in a newspaper. My grandfather also spent a lot of time whittling nothing in particular, just cutting chunks off of a piece of wood until there was nothing but a pile of shavings. I'm not sure how staring at a newspaper or magazine (or aimless whittling) in the old days is preferable to staring at a screen today.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

If you are Gen X I totally disagree. Where Gen X was disillusioned, Millenials weren't, because to be disillusioned, you had to have had expectations in the first place.

Gen X grew up more idealistic, thinking that our lives would be like our parents in terms of jobs, the economy, marriage, religion, education, etc, and almost none of those resemble anything that we expected in the 1970s and 80s. That is why the music of our 20s was Grunge, a sort of colorless, dark, angry lashing out against what we realized life would actually be like in the 1990s and beyond.

I believe that Millenials have had a more somber outlook which wasn't really brightened by boy bands, participation trophies, and cool electronics, and that is why being a Youtuber or a dot-com billionaire is so appealing, it is winning the lottery, rather than working some crappy service job for minimum wage and paying off 6 figure student loans while living in a cheap apartment and driving a beat-up Honda Civic.

Oh but we had boybands!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    What is a millennial?

Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

I'm not sure some of you know you are millennials if this is true.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    They know who they are and aren’t afraid to assert their identities and demand recognition. I find that admirable. A generalization, of course, but I work with a lot of millennials. They’re smarter about a lot of things people in older generations took much, much longer to understand.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Aside from the technological issues, which makes Millennials more likely to have their noses in their phones and always taking selfies, tweeting, instagramming and texting, I think Millennials feel they are more entitled and don't have to work their way up to a level of comfort that they had at home.

I moved out in 1972, joined the Marines and when I got out 4 years later and got my own apartment, I worked 60+ hours a week. My home was furnished with a bean bag chair, a mattress on the floor, shelving for my stereo on cinder blocks and bricks. I had a hand-me-down TV that my Grandma gave me.

When my daughters moved out, they all had big-screen TV's, new cars, fully furnished apartments, the latest cell phones (which they exchange every time the next generation comes out).

I think the biggest reason that they can affect this step up in comfort is credit. I had no access to credit cards when I was their age, so I had to save up for everything and pay in full. Credit Companies are shoving credit down Millennial's throats now. It's a shame.

Actually Millennials are significantly less likely to use credit cards or buy things on credit. I'm a Millennial (30 years old) and I almost never purchase anything on credit. The only reason I was able to buy a house with almost no credit history was because I made a 60% down payment.

It's not just me either, this is a measurable trend:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/09/pf/millennials-credit-cards/index.html

This is my experience as well. Hubs refused to get a credit card for a long time, I have one and use it for everything, but that's because why not take advantage of getting 2% back on my life. I pay it off every month so I am not spending money I don't have with it.

In my experience the credit millennials seem to struggle with the worst is student loans. I suspect there will basically be some sort of collapse in the higher educational system in America in the next few years.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    What is a millennial?

Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

I'm not sure some of you know you are millennials if this is true.

yeah, its a much wider net than most people realize. People tend to only think of current college students as millennials, but most of us have been in the workforce for 10 years or so
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I flirt by recording ten minute asmr videos and sending it to people to help them sleep and i was told this is veeeery millenial of me
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    BR_549 wrote: »
    We don't look at our jobs the same way. It's a 2 to 3 year adventure then we're ready for the next one.

This is as much the employers fault as the generation's. Employers don't offer pensions anymore, or really any incentive for company loyalty.

If they liked me then they shoulda put a ring on me.
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    eccomi_qui wrote: »
    I flirt by recording ten minute asmr videos and sending it to people to help them sleep and i was told this is veeeery millenial of me

What is an asmr video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb27NHO_ubg

This video makes me laugh
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    BR_549 wrote: »
    We don't look at our jobs the same way. It's a 2 to 3 year adventure then we're ready for the next one.

This is as much the employers fault as the generation's. Employers don't offer pensions anymore, or really any incentive for company loyalty.

and no more upward movement, if a manager leaves they don't move up a good worker drone, they hire from the outside. So you gotta be the outside person