Millennials compared to your generation

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Been missing alot but there was a comment about millenials in their 30s veing very different than teens early 20s, which makes sense, thats an age range where alot of maturation happens in the last several generations.

Its intersting how much technological advancement has changed just between older millenials and younger ones. I was taught cursive and never spent much time on a computer till high school. Definitely didn't "grow up on them" where someone 10 years behind may have.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Apparently 30 is considered a ‘millennial’?
    I had an interview with a lady 2X my age and she seriously asked me if I knew what an I9 was...for an HR spot :|
    I stared at her for a good two minutes and busting up laughing...
    This whole ‘millennial’ thing is over the top. People are just people. Everything else is superficial stuff IMO.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    ...so we can forget about how hard it is to get a job with our degrees that cost us 40k+

It will be better now, and much more so in the long run than without it.

One thing is, millennials are much more about immediate satisfaction than my generations. They also do not understand critical thinking as well because of the dominance and reliance on knowledge bases like Google which lack depth of learning.

Worthless degrees are putting millennials in debt. There has been a big push for people going to college and getting a degree that they then can not apply in the workforce. Liberal arts degree for one. Beyond that, far too many are getting master's degrees when they don't need to.

Add to the critical thinking aspect, millennials also take things far too personally and literally. Due to the dominance, and reliance upon electronic communication such as texts, Facebook, snapchat, and whatever else they use. They have lost the inter-personal communications skills such as body language, tone and inflection of voice, eye contact, etc.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I hope that when I am older I don't feel as negatively towards the younger generation as some other people.

I think it’s hard not too feel that disconnection more and more as you grow older. I think ultimately it come down to how content you are with life. The happier you are the more little things such as differences don’t bother you as much.

Most likely, it's not even really thought about unless it comes up as a topic of conversation or asked about such as this thread did. That's how it is for me.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    All my friends couldn't wait to get their driver's license on their 16th birthday, I know several Millennials who are in their 20s and can't drive.

Millennials also have the worst handwriting. My handwriting is terrible compared to most people of my generation, but most Millennials grew up writing everything on a screen and have handwriting like mine before I started grade school. And some can't even read handwriting - one of the things I do as a hobby is transcribe historical documents for NARA, and some of the young people I have encountered are shocked that I can read perfectly legible cursive handwriting, they have never learned.

I'm 32 (nearly 33) and I didn't obtain a driver's license until I was 20. I just had no inclination to learn to drive because where I lived (which was rural, mind you) everything was still completely walkable (for me). Didn't seem like there was much incentive to learn, especially since I couldn't afford a vehicle, had three jobs and was going to school full time (which I was paying for, in part).

I believe I only know one person that waited until after she hit 30 to learn to drive.. and that was because it was a necessity. Everyone else knew how to and/or had cars before they even hit college.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    ismdaqwj7cs2.jpg

No, but Gen X decided that mullets were a good idea

Thank God we didn't have camera phones. Otherwise there would be a whole lot more pics of my mullet.

Wuuuuuut......

wiryzjnf9244.jpg

I feel like we should just start a "Throwback Thursday" thread that's pretty much every day instead of only on Thursday... and this picture should start it. This is just.. pure gold.

Also.. them legs.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    I hope that when I am older I don't feel as negatively towards the younger generation as some other people.

I'm a millennial (if we're categorizing people, anyway) and I already feel a huge disconnect and some negativity toward people in my own generation. I don't need to be older to feel that way, either as I'm pretty sure it's a result of not connecting on the level that the rest of my peers seem to be able to do. Then again, I feel some negativity toward older folks demanding I "respect" them when they've done absolutely nothing to earn respect from anyone and blaming my generation for all the ills in the world.
    ...so we can forget about how hard it is to get a job with our degrees that cost us 40k+

One thing is, millennials are much more about immediate satisfaction than my generations. They also do not understand critical thinking as well because of the dominance and reliance on knowledge bases like Google which lack depth of learning.

Some of us; not all. I have no interest in immediate satisfaction... I mean, c'mon.. I grew up in the time when dial tones for Internet was a thing and you were lucky if a picture you wanted to see took less than a minute to load. Usually, I'd be sitting around waiting for half the night for things I wanted to read/look at. :D

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I never get that complaint, about peoples reliance on knowledge data bases like Google. My parents depended on knowledge bases like encyclopedias and the card catalog. How is Google different? Same reliance, different format.
  • RachelElser
    Options
    Apparently 30 is considered a ‘millennial’?
    I had an interview with a lady 2X my age and she seriously asked me if I knew what an I9 was...for an HR spot :|
    I stared at her for a good two minutes and busting up laughing...
    This whole ‘millennial’ thing is over the top. People are just people. Everything else is superficial stuff IMO.

I'm at the top of millennial and I'm 30. Baby Boomers can't seem to grasp the difference between a millennial and a Gen Z.
  • RachelElser
    Options
    All my friends couldn't wait to get their driver's license on their 16th birthday, I know several Millennials who are in their 20s and can't drive.

Millennials also have the worst handwriting. My handwriting is terrible compared to most people of my generation, but most Millennials grew up writing everything on a screen and have handwriting like mine before I started grade school. And some can't even read handwriting - one of the things I do as a hobby is transcribe historical documents for NARA, and some of the young people I have encountered are shocked that I can read perfectly legible cursive handwriting, they have never learned.

All true. My son just got his drivers lic at 17. I know I got mine on my birthday.

Also, they don't even teach handwriting anymore beyond the first few grades. Certainly not cursive. My boys can barely read it.

I'm not sure how important it is to be able to write it, but the loss of reading ability is a real tragedy. The other day I transcribed a letter from Sherman to Stanton which probably no one had laid eyes on in 150 years, it was buried in a file. Really thrilling to think that I was reading information that couldn't be found in a book anywhere. And now, today's generation will find those documents as inaccessible as if they were written in Latin.

It's not the students' choice whether or not they're taught cursive, though.

That's another general difference- baby boomers seem to want the school to teach EVERYTHING. if you want your kid or grandkid to 100% know cursive, why not teach it to them yourselves? Parents my age teach their kids a lot more, I think because they remember not being taught by their parents.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Aside from the technological issues, which makes Millennials more likely to have their noses in their phones and always taking selfies, tweeting, instagramming and texting, I think Millennials feel they are more entitled and don't have to work their way up to a level of comfort that they had at home.

I moved out in 1972, joined the Marines and when I got out 4 years later and got my own apartment, I worked 60+ hours a week. My home was furnished with a bean bag chair, a mattress on the floor, shelving for my stereo on cinder blocks and bricks. I had a hand-me-down TV that my Grandma gave me.

When my daughters moved out, they all had big-screen TV's, new cars, fully furnished apartments, the latest cell phones (which they exchange every time the next generation comes out).

I think the biggest reason that they can affect this step up in comfort is credit. I had no access to credit cards when I was their age, so I had to save up for everything and pay in full. Credit Companies are shoving credit down Millennial's throats now. It's a shame.

We had second-hand furniture, and new stuff (only bed and cooker) were gifts, we borrowed a small portable TV. No overseas holidays before we were married, then after our honeymoon none for 7 years (and that a week in a friend's apartment) Oh, and the interest on our mortgage was 15%. we are having to work longer to get our pension, my parent's generation it was common to retire in late 50s and 25+ years on they are still getting their decent workplace pensions. (If they had one of those precious "final salary" deals).

I don't think the NHS will survive until our kids retire, I'm not convinced its going to last for me!

• bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The economy sucks for the millennials....not their fault. The opportunity is still there to achieve as much as they want, they may just have to work a little harder and get a little more creative in doing so.....a majority of them would rather not.....that is their fault. The present time is your reality and if that means if you have to act in a way the previous generation didn't have to....so be it. That's life and it isn't fair.

I was a kid and a young man in the 80s and early 90s. I lived in the projects in the Bronx poor as *kitten* and didn't have the same opportunities as those in other places that were enjoying a great economy. Generation this or that had absolutely no meaning or bearing on me. I went into the Marine Corp as an escape.....and it proved to me how wrong I was about not having the same opportunities. I just had a different path, a harder path, but it was there just the same. It was up to me to take it or not.

Well, it's many years later and I am not poor, don't live in a ghetto, and enjoy all the same privileges as anyone else and then some.

• macrologger
    macrologger Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »
    The economy sucks for the millennials....not their fault. The opportunity is still there to achieve as much as they want, they may just have to work a little harder and get a little more creative in doing so.....a majority of them would rather not.....that is their fault. The present time is your reality and if that means if you have to act in a way the previous generation didn't have to....so be it. That's life and it isn't fair.

I was a kid and a young man in the 80s and early 90s. I lived in the projects in the Bronx poor as *kitten* and didn't have the same opportunities as those in other places that were enjoying a great economy. Generation this or that had absolutely no meaning or bearing on me. I went into the Marine Corp as an escape.....and it proved to me how wrong I was about not having the same opportunities. I just had a different path, a harder path, but it was there just the same. It was up to me to take it or not.

Well, it's many years later and I am not poor, don't live in a ghetto, and enjoy all the same privileges as anyone else and then some.

I work with millennials on a daily basis - trust me, they won't work for it. They want it handed to them.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Worthless degrees are putting millennials in debt. There has been a big push for people going to college and getting a degree that they then can not apply in the workforce. Liberal arts degree for one. Beyond that, far too many are getting master's degrees when they don't need to.

Research disagrees actually. As mentioned for millennials, they tend to focus on immediate feedback, satisfaction and return on everything they put effort into. There is plenty of research that college degrees more than pay for themselves over a 10 year period, and very valuable beyond. It is a longer term investment than many people want to consider, but that is nothing new. Just seems to very prominent in discussions now. It took me nearly 7 years to pay off my degree debt, but having my degrees has served me very well past that, allowing many more opportunities for employment and advancement. There are plenty of students that do not do enough research into their areas of interest and career choices though (liberal arts, English, etc) and do end up incurring larger debt for what their industry will support. They will have a longer payback period, but all the reports I have read pay out after no more than 10 years. Ironically, politicians love to place blame directly on colleges and universities that they didn't warn students of their choices, but almost all campus's have career research tools and resources that are free, but students rarely use them except to find work while going to school. Colleges are doing better to provide industry forecast information links directly on program pages now though so it helps queue students into maybe doing that research.

Anecdotally, everyone that I know that completed a master's degree found much greater advancement and opportunity with it, as I have. The issue becomes that you have the higher paying jobs that require the masters degree and you have a lot more candidates that apply for them. They are coveted positions and that is what everyone wants. It isn't like walking into any McDonalds and almost every one will hire a person. Employers have very highly qualified people applying and can be selective. Again, that is my personal experience in both applying for positions and doing a lot of hiring of those positions over the years. The last open position we posted had 42 applicants, all with masters degrees and higher, and a lot of years of experience. Then again, if you look at stats the higher degrees also do pay back over time.

Anyway, it is interesting that noted differences in generation makes people think you are old and negative. Being the father of two boys with these varied skills, priorities, and valuation, I am far from it. In order to communicate and work with anyone of any age you have to understand their mindset, then work within it to teach or relate.

ALL people are being socialized the same so the effects are broadly distributed over all age groups. Younger people are more influenced by it and it is deeper in their experience is all. So while things like critical thinking, immediate satisfaction, etc are notable to most younger groups, it still effects a portion of older groups.

That said, get off my lawn.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »

I work with millennials on a daily basis - trust me, they won't work for it. They want it handed to them.

can you expand?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    eccomi_qui wrote: »
    My older sisters were married and gone before they were 18.

My younger daughters aren't interested and aren't planning to leave.

What kind of dowry are you offering?

Jack.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

I'm 32 (nearly 33) and I didn't obtain a driver's license until I was 20. I just had no inclination to learn to drive because where I lived (which was rural, mind you) everything was still completely walkable (for me). Didn't seem like there was much incentive to learn, especially since I couldn't afford a vehicle, had three jobs and was going to school full time (which I was paying for, in part).

I believe I only know one person that waited until after she hit 30 to learn to drive.. and that was because it was a necessity. Everyone else knew how to and/or had cars before they even hit college.

So living rural you walked to 3 jobs and school?! (Not being facetious, that just seems pretty incredible.)

If so, then good for you. Not only time consuming, but great exercise. If mom or dad was your taxi service, then getting the driver's license would have been helpful to them even if you were borrowing the family car.