Millennials compared to your generation

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    All my friends couldn't wait to get their driver's license on their 16th birthday, I know several Millennials who are in their 20s and can't drive.

Millennials also have the worst handwriting. My handwriting is terrible compared to most people of my generation, but most Millennials grew up writing everything on a screen and have handwriting like mine before I started grade school. And some can't even read handwriting - one of the things I do as a hobby is transcribe historical documents for NARA, and some of the young people I have encountered are shocked that I can read perfectly legible cursive handwriting, they have never learned.

All true. My son just got his drivers lic at 17. I know I got mine on my birthday.

Also, they don't even teach handwriting anymore beyond the first few grades. Certainly not cursive. My boys can barely read it.

I'm not sure how important it is to be able to write it, but the loss of reading ability is a real tragedy. The other day I transcribed a letter from Sherman to Stanton which probably no one had laid eyes on in 150 years, it was buried in a file. Really thrilling to think that I was reading information that couldn't be found in a book anywhere. And now, today's generation will find those documents as inaccessible as if they were written in Latin.

It's not the students' choice whether or not they're taught cursive, though.

It's not Millennials fault that they aren't taught most of the things this thread has been complaining about!

Neither was anyone else. Plus there is google now. Just saying.
  • Jushere018
    Jushere018 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me, I would say music. I do not understand the utter garbage that is on the radio now. No matter what genre, I just can’t get into it. I don’t watch award shows or New Year’s Eve shows or anything like that anymore. I actually find it embarrassing. Speaking of embarrassing, spelling skills are a thing of the past, for sure. It’s hard to even decipher what 99% of people on social media are even saying anymore.
  • Pkov123
    Pkov123 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Well bad news for y'all
    You are millennial probably
    Cuz millennials are born from like 1988-1999
  • Pkov123
    Options
    I was born in 1997
    Some say I millennial
    Some say I gen z
    I hope I'm not gen z
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    All my friends couldn't wait to get their driver's license on their 16th birthday, I know several Millennials who are in their 20s and can't drive.

Millennials also have the worst handwriting. My handwriting is terrible compared to most people of my generation, but most Millennials grew up writing everything on a screen and have handwriting like mine before I started grade school. And some can't even read handwriting - one of the things I do as a hobby is transcribe historical documents for NARA, and some of the young people I have encountered are shocked that I can read perfectly legible cursive handwriting, they have never learned.

All true. My son just got his drivers lic at 17. I know I got mine on my birthday.

Also, they don't even teach handwriting anymore beyond the first few grades. Certainly not cursive. My boys can barely read it.

I'm not sure how important it is to be able to write it, but the loss of reading ability is a real tragedy. The other day I transcribed a letter from Sherman to Stanton which probably no one had laid eyes on in 150 years, it was buried in a file. Really thrilling to think that I was reading information that couldn't be found in a book anywhere. And now, today's generation will find those documents as inaccessible as if they were written in Latin.

It's not Millennials fault that they aren't taught most of the things this thread has been complaining about!

Yeah, good luck googling something in a filing box that hasn't seen daylight in 150 years. "Google it" is a perfect example of what I mean. You can only Google information that someone else has decided they wanted you to know, and put on the internet. If you want to learn new things, you have to go to where they are and learn them for yourself.
  • Pkov123
    Options
    Pkov123 wrote: »
    Well bad news for y'all

I think it's 1981 or 1982

My mom said she wants to be gen y
    Even though she's 46 or 47
    She doesn't want to be gen x for some reason haha
  • Pkov123
    Options
    I mean she was born in 1971
    Anyway millennial equals gen y I think
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Yeah, good luck googling something in a filing box that hasn't seen daylight in 150 years. "Google it" is a perfect example of what I mean. You can only Google information that someone else has decided they wanted you to know, and put on the internet. If you want to learn new things, you have to go to where they are and learn them for yourself.

Not true. Name one thing I can't learn on the internet. It has to be real academics.
  • Pkov123
    Options
    Well bad news for y'all

I think it's 1981 or 1982

What generation are you? Just wondering :)
  • Pkov123
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I was born in 1997
    Some say I millennial
    Some say I gen z
    I hope I'm not gen z

Did you schoolteacher encourage you and your classmates to write in cursive, respect your elders, play amicably at recess without tattletaling and learn the metric system just in case there was a third world war and Europe won?

Well yes most of those
    I went to catholic school for kindergarten to 8th grade well except 3rd grade, but yes I even had a penmanship class in 6th grade, it was like in a time warp lol
  • Pkov123
    Options
    I was born in 1997
    Some say I millennial
    Some say I gen z
    I hope I'm not gen z

Did you schoolteacher encourage you and your classmates to write in cursive, respect your elders, play amicably at recess without tattletaling and learn the metric system just in case there was a third world war and Europe won?

Well yes most of those
    I went to catholic school for kindergarten to 8th grade well except 3rd grade, but yes I even had a penmanship class in 6th grade, it was like in a time warp lol

What happened in 3rd grade? Were you sent abroad to a secular Swiss boarding school to learn Continental style and etiquette?

No I moved from the city to a suburb and went to public school for the first half of the year, hated it, and went back to same catholic school for second half of year.
  • Pkov123
    Options
    I went to public high school though
  • Pkov123
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    I am a millennial and all we want is to be left in peace to look at memes all day so we can forget about how hard it is to get a job with our degrees that cost us 40k+

How old are you? :) I'm prob a millennial
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    ...so we can forget about how hard it is to get a job with our degrees that cost us 40k+

It will be better now, and much more so in the long run than without it.

One thing is, millennials are much more about immediate satisfaction than my generations. They also do not understand critical thinking as well because of the dominance and reliance on knowledge bases like Google which lack depth of learning.

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ...so we can forget about how hard it is to get a job with our degrees that cost us 40k+

One thing is, millennials are much more about immediate satisfaction than my generations. They also do not understand critical thinking as well because of the dominance and reliance on knowledge bases like Google which lack depth of learning.

Damn, you might want to tell all those Gen y and baby boomers on my Facebook sharing every piece of fake news they can find without fact checking to use those critical thinking skills they developed before google

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Damn, you might want to tell all those Gen y and baby boomers on my Facebook sharing every piece of fake news they can find without fact checking to use those critical thinking skills they developed before google

Meh. I have a bit of experience in education and have some first hand experience in the classroom. That isn’t to say all previous generations were amazing critical thinkers. We know that isn’t true, but there is a vast difference in learning skills then and now, and critical thinking is not as acute as it was.

But that Facebook reference as a fact check....thanks. That made my night.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The biggest difference I see between baby boomers (I'm a late-late boomer) and millenials (my youngest) is how social media has taken the place of face-to-face conversation or even picking up the phone. I'm expected to be one of the adoring hoard following them on FB or Instagram rather than getting a phone call or a visit.

Even texting (which I do) -
    Me: "What's going on honey? Miss and love you!"

Him: "Didn't u see my FB post? Luv u 2" (at least he loves me!) :p

Not sure if this is generational of just due to the advent of social media, but I really don't care to know the minutiae of everyone's (including my children's) lives nor to share the same with my closest 150 friends. Just looking for a real conversation now and again.