Is it appropriate for my boyfriend to ask me to pay him to live with him?

Options
silkmouse
silkmouse Posts: 53 Member
My boyfriend has said he wants to marry me and has asked me to live with him. He is looking for a place right now. The first many times he brought it up, he said I wouldn't have to pay but now he is saying I need to pay him to live there. This makes me hesitate because it feels like a business transaction. If we have kids, will the kids have to pay to live there too? Plus in the past when he wasn't working I would pay for his ticket to museums or transportation and didn't ask him to pay me.

At this point if he views the relationship as a business deal I am thinking I may have to break it off even though everything has been great so far and he has been a great partner. If he is only with me in hopes of getting paid, it seems really inappropriate. I don't want to be mean, maybe I understood him wrong, but after he finds a place if he again voices that I have to pay him to live there, I'll tell him this is not the relationship I'm looking for and that I have enough self-respect to stay single.

My father for instance took care of the whole family and my mother volunteers. He never charged her anything!

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    How do you think he feels letting you move in rent-free? If I was living with someone, even a boyfriend, I would insist on splitting things unless we shared a checking account. It’s absurd to assume he should pay for everything.

Agreed. I have never lived anywhere without paying something, except with my parents. Even then once I was 16 and had a job, I paid my gas, clothing, etc. It's always been 50/50 on rent/now mortgage, utilities, groceries, cars/ins, all that stuff with my husband, even when were just dating and living in sin.
  • silkmouse
    silkmouse Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you never paid rent before?

It's not rent, he said the words "you need to pay me to live with me" which makes it sound like he wants to be paid to be in a relationship with me. That made me uneasy. Also I already have my own place right now so why should I pay him even more? :( I'm pretty broke and the place would just be sitting empty, he does not want to live here.
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    All I can picture right now is op as a very sexy mouse who dresses exclusively in silk
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Does the rent come with cake?
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    Does the rent come with cake?

It's not rent, apparently. But maybe if there's cake involved, everything would change!
This discussion has been closed.