Zero Calorie drinks

Options
13»

Replies

• tiffanyx7
    tiffanyx7 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking lemonade every day all day to nothing but water. I'll have the odd cup of tea in the morning but I won't even drink slimline lemonade now. Not because of the calorie (well lack of) content, but because I just feel better when I don't drink fizzy stuff, I find it bloats me alot and makes me more hungry.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    SteamPug wrote: »
    No harm diet wise but they’re awful for your teeth

Ever hear of a toothbrush and toothpaste?

For the record, I drink a significant amount of Pepsi Max and Diet Coke, and my dentist LOVES my teeth.
    Wow, there was really no need to be this rude.
  • SteamPug
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ONLY if your oral hygiene is bad. I've drank soda for over 40 years and haven't had issues with cavities and still have strong enamel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Is there not an issue with the acids in soda and enamel erosion? I thought this existed even with good hygiene. I know it’s recommended to not brush within 30minutes of consuming soda, and that it’s useful to drink water afterwards to neutralise the ph in your mouth - but I always thought even with doing those things and maintaining general good dental hygiene practices you’d still suffer some enamel loss with regular soda drinking.
    (Asking because I’m curious and I’d like to re-educate myself if I am wrong about this)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ONLY if your oral hygiene is bad. I've drank soda for over 40 years and haven't had issues with cavities and still have strong enamel.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Is there not an issue with the acids in soda and enamel erosion? I thought this existed even with good hygiene. I know it’s recommended to not brush within 30minutes of consuming soda, and that it’s useful to drink water afterwards to neutralise the ph in your mouth - but I always thought even with doing those things and maintaining general good dental hygiene practices you’d still suffer some enamel loss with regular soda drinking.
    (Asking because I’m curious and I’d like to re-educate myself if I am wrong about this)

It's not recommended to brush your teeth 30 minutes after consuming anything acidic. Soda has the same ph as fruit.
  • SteamPug
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's not recommended to brush your teeth 30 minutes after consuming anything acidic. Soda has the same ph as fruit.
    Yeah that’s what I said. I wanted to know if soda and fruit juice are significantly detrimental to tooth enamel, as I was under the impression that they were - but people in here are suggesting that as long as you have good dental hygiene the acids shouldn’t be an issue.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I would recommend still drinking some plain water every day not just diet pop.

why?
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah that’s what I said. I wanted to know if soda and fruit juice are significantly detrimental to tooth enamel, as I was under the impression that they were - but people in here are suggesting that as long as you have good dental hygiene the acids shouldn’t be an issue.

My dentist told me as long as I practice regular dental hygiene the acid in foods and drinks are not something to be concerned with.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If you are using a fluoride tooth paste every day your teeth should be well protected, you can also rinse with a fluoride mouth wash half way through the day to increase the protection if you are worried
  • vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    WHAT THE HECK !! this was another myth . I'm so grateful to this forum. I've stayed away from pops all my life. I've drank a lot of liquor but always stayed away from Liquor because people told me Coke is devil's acid which will kill your teeth and "look it can be used to clean toilets and what not".

I brush my teeth twice a day and have always done so. I don't drink liquor anymore neither pop. Coke Cheery Zero looked good so I wanted to try it and posted about it here and learned something new.

This is like one of those when I was taught here that all calories are the same during weight loss. No such things as eating loads of broccoli and you'd keep losing weight. CICO rules. Now this, like WOW.

It's just hard to accept what I've been lead to believe since I was a child. That all of a sudden- nothing wrong with drinking coke or pepsi and they won't harm teeth. Foundation got shaken lol -i'm still questioning if they truly don't harm our teeth and they are equally good as well. I'm on a deficit and 0 calories and no harm opens me to plethora of options lol
  • vm007
    Options
    wait! what about docs/dentists telling me -stains on teeth that could come from drinking coffee/pop and what not?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    vm007 wrote: »
    Hello,

Yes, I agree- Calories are king in a sense of weight loss but not in nutrition sense. However, the Zero calorie drinks like ice tea and coke zero and pepsi zero and what not- are they truly zero in that sense? as in if I drank a gallon of it. It's not weight gain right?

I like to keep hydrated and yes water is a better alternative but sometimes I like something other than water.

Label does say all is zero-but just want to confirm. I am not added calories to my diet by drinking that right?

Also, how do they make it sweet by keeping it calorically zero?

At the fast food places with the Coke Freestyle machines (our family calls them replicators, lol) they do have a little warming on the screen that Diet drinks still have a miniscule amount of calories, and that adding ice will lower the calorie content of your diet soda. Personally I think the amount of calories you save is going to be significantly lower than the exta 1-2 oz of soda that McDonalds doesn't want to pay for.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    vm007 wrote: »
    wait! what about docs/dentists telling me -stains on teeth that could come from drinking coffee/pop and what not?

They can stain your teeth, but they aren't bad for your teeth if you have good dental hygiene.
  • vm007
    Options
    This make seem like a small thing but this has changed my life lol.

I used to only drink water when I absolutely felt the need to but since learning about Coke and other drinks not harming us- I've started drinking 0 caloric beverages a lot. Especially like Monster Zero (has 10 cals)

I understand it'll stain my teeth so I've ordered- 0 calorie flavoured water. Hopefully that won't stain my teeth and since I drink coffee twice a day -I'll limit energy drink to once in after noon. Fingers crossed with teeth staining.

I have Oral B 5000 series brush and what not.