GOING BALD ON KETO! HELP

Options
124»

Replies

• Keto_Kueen
    Keto_Kueen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    gluckmdg15 wrote: »
    You should see a dermatologist. It could be due any number of things, anemia, alopecia, stress, etc. A dermatologist would probably have more experience dealing with this vs. a general practitioner.

I was thinking that too....my iron level is 11 so not anemic but def low! I'm on supplement now.
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    What's your height and weight?

Are you eating back most of your exercise calories?

These things are important.

There are plenty of good reasons not to do Keto, but we also need to discount over-exercising/under-eating, which is often a cause of hair loss.

5"5 and 208lbs and yes I eat 80% of my exercise calories back!
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    Keto_Kueen wrote: »
    thanx so much everyone!!! The responds are overwhelming! I appreciate everyone taking time out to reply to me :)
    I want to clarify that I'm not breastfeeding (thank goodness lol)
    My little one is 3 yrs old in May, and I weaned her May of 2017...way before even started keto. Xoxoxox
    Labs were perfectly normal....so it might just be my body missing the carbs *sighs*

Thanks for following up and letting everyone know the update, and glad to hear your labs were normal! Hopefully the hair loss issue gets resolved soon. I don't really have any suggestions that haven't already been posed (perhaps evaluating protein intake and whether it may be low) and I'm definitely not a doctor, just wanted to wish you well. Good luck!

Thanx my dear! I appreciate it :)
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    I started losing my hair because I was losing weight too rapidly, sometimes 2 to 2.5 pounds per week. If this is what you are doing, slow down your rate of loss to no more than 1 pound a week.

Yes I'm losing 2lbs per week...this might be the culprit then.
    Thanx
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    jenbk2 wrote: »
    Are you still breast feeding ? Did you do your research regarding KETO and breastfeeding? You need carbs for your body.

Actually you don't need carbs for breastfeeding. What you need is adequate calories and hydration. I breastfed my youngest son until he was 21 months while doing a ketogenic diet (50g) for symptoms of gestational diabetes that did not leave and was trying to become prediabetes. I didn't start balding. Later, after regaining some weight, I went keto for 1.5 years to lose all my weight. I didn't start balding then either.

The point about losing extra hair post-childbirth is a good one. Also with all weight loss, a phenomenon called "Telogen Effluvium" can occur. Read more here: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums#1
    Weight loss is a stressor and childbirth is a stressor. This causes the body to stop hair growth for a time. When it's ready, it sheds all the "paused" hair at once. Seems like a lot. Mine thinned out quite a bit when I lost 80ish pounds later. It's still thinner. You can see more of my scalp than you used to. But it stopped. This is all normal for any "diet."

Hair thinning is common. Starting to get bald spots on ANY diet isn't normal.
    Eat enough calories, especially while breastfeeding.
    Protein: Keto is moderate protein, not low, so you might want to rob from your fat and give it to protein. Protein trumps everything.
    If you are eating enough calories and getting enough nutrients and still balding, then you need to see your doc about this.

Thanx for the response!
    Labs were normal so not much my doc says at this point. Booked a follow up for monday tho!
    I don't see bald spots...just way more scalp at the front! I never used to see scalp so it's nerve wrecking!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started losing my hair because I was losing weight too rapidly, sometimes 2 to 2.5 pounds per week. If this is what you are doing, slow down your rate of loss to no more than 1 pound a week.

Thanx

How long you been doing this?
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    Yes, hair loss after giving birth can be significant.

I have birth in May of 2015 so almost 3 yrs hun. Didn't lose any hair then...this is new
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Are you still breast feeding ? Did you do your research regarding KETO and breastfeeding? You need carbs for your body.

Actually you don't need carbs for breastfeeding. What you need is adequate calories and hydration. I breastfed my youngest son until he was 21 months while doing a ketogenic diet (50g) for symptoms of gestational diabetes that did not leave and was trying to become prediabetes. I didn't start balding. Later, after regaining some weight, I went keto for 1.5 years to lose all my weight. I didn't start balding then either.

The point about losing extra hair post-childbirth is a good one. Also with all weight loss, a phenomenon called "Telogen Effluvium" can occur. Read more here: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums#1
    Weight loss is a stressor and childbirth is a stressor. This causes the body to stop hair growth for a time. When it's ready, it sheds all the "paused" hair at once. Seems like a lot. Mine thinned out quite a bit when I lost 80ish pounds later. It's still thinner. You can see more of my scalp than you used to. But it stopped. This is all normal for any "diet."

Protein: Keto is moderate protein, not low, so you might want to rob from your fat and give it to protein. Protein trumps everything.
    If you are eating enough calories and getting enough nutrients and still balding, then you need to see your doc about this.

Thanx for the response!
    Labs were normal so not much my doc says at this point. Booked a follow up for monday tho!
    I don't see bald spots...just way more scalp at the front! I never used to see scalp so it's nerve wrecking!

I freaked the hell out when it happened myself. But then I read about it and waited for it to slow down and it did. Like I said you can still see more scalp than I used to before I lost weight. I've basically been maintaining for about 1.5 years now so... It's not noticable to anyone but my neurotic self anyway. :smirk:

My hair loss started after I'd lost 30 or 40 lbs, I think, after a month of a freakish looking amount every time I showered, it went back to normal. Still thinner but it's not bad, just different. :smile:
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Thanx

How long you been doing this?

13 weeks
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options

Thanx for the response!

I freaked the hell out when it happened myself. But then I read about it and waited for it to slow down and it did. Like I said you can still see more scalp than I used to before I lost weight. I've basically been maintaining for about 1.5 years now so... It's not noticable to anyone but my neurotic self anyway. :smirk:

My hair loss started after I'd lost 30 or 40 lbs, I think, after a month of a freakish looking amount every time I showered, it went back to normal. Still thinner but it's not bad, just different. :smile:

glad it stopped for u n I hope it does for me too :(
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    1700 cals (the number is included in the OP) is unlikely to be the problem so if the only thing that changed was switching to keto then I'd certainly revert to a more standard macro split A.S.A.P.

I am almost wonder if they aren't taking in a lot of veggies, which is limiting their ability to get adequate micronutrients.

Seeing the macros would help since keto is lower protein too.

Not enough protein was what I was thinking.

I'm at 30% protein now and 1800 total calories so I think I'm ok there...
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    Post partum hair loss is normal. I experienced hair loss again after losing 50 lbs due to hormones balancing out (decrease in fat - decrease in estrogen).
    I have long hair that's pretty fuzzy on top because of the new hair growing back. Get some good hairspray :p
    It doesn't hurt to check in with your doctor though to rule out any other causes.

had my baby 32 months ago hun
    thanx for ur reply!
  • Keto_Kueen
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    If - big IF - OP is actually at 25% protein on a 1700 Calorie diet, she's taking in ~125 g a day. So lack of Calories and/or protein and/or fat (because keto) isn't the issue.

So, yeah - talk to your doctor about this.

Yes dear n I upped it to 30% yesterday so I'm not sure that's not the problem...also increased my calories to 1800
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have already said this but I’ll say it again - get your thyroid checked. Also ask for a full panel not just TSH. I developed Hashimoto’s thyroiditis after having my son. My TSH was normal but T3 levels were way off. They wouldn’t have caught it without a full panel.

And do not take kelp or other iodine supplements if you don’t know for sure you need them. They can cause problems for people who aren’t deficient. It might just be that keto isn’t a good fit for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd definitely get your blood work check. But you could also increase carbs to see if that addresses the deficiency.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanx for the response!

glad it stopped for u n I hope it does for me too :(

The longer your hair, the bigger the pile is. Mine was almost to my lower back at the time. It's like Cousin It had a hairbaby.
    15f53104ef8ecd05f7e8ceb86c086451--the-addams-family-baby-things.jpg

So if my hair was shorter, I might not have freaked out as much.

Doc said the bloodwork is fine, right? Read the link I posted and look around at how many people this is a thing for. If you get bald spots or the scalp visibility increases to an alarming degree, check back with the doc. But otherwise, it sounds like telogen effluvium.