quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    fglrml86 wrote: »
    No but I think I may get one

Do it! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    One thing I really liked about my food scale was that it felt easier to use up whatever was left at the bottom of a package of food. I'm sure there were probably ways I could have made things work, but I tended to toss the last little bit that didn't fit into my measuring cup instead of trying to figure out how much extra I had. For me, personally, a food scale reduced my food waste. Dunno if others ever had that problem.

Also I'd been cheating on my Brussels sprouts big time. I was eating at least twice what I was logging based on the sneaky notion that there was so much empty space between them in a cup, surely a couple of extra sprouts didn't count.

At least you're getting in those green leafies. :)

Funny how our minds work, though.

I used to figure, "Fill up that cup to the brim, or over if possible."

I learned by weighing that a "Cup" or "tablespoon" is actually about 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the brim. :neutral:

• cmriverside
    Options
    Brim? Or rim? ::meh::
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    One thing I really liked about my food scale was that it felt easier to use up whatever was left at the bottom of a package of food. I'm sure there were probably ways I could have made things work, but I tended to toss the last little bit that didn't fit into my measuring cup instead of trying to figure out how much extra I had. For me, personally, a food scale reduced my food waste. Dunno if others ever had that problem.

Also I'd been cheating on my Brussels sprouts big time. I was eating at least twice what I was logging based on the sneaky notion that there was so much empty space between them in a cup, surely a couple of extra sprouts didn't count.

At least you're getting in those green leafies. :)

Funny how our minds work, though.

I used to figure, "Fill up that cup to the brim, or over if possible."

I learned by weighing that a "Cup" or "tablespoon" is actually about 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the brim. :neutral:

Right?!? That's how the oatmeal looks in the first video. It's definitely not filled to the brim.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Bump
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm a new guy, but I want to contribute. I make my own sourdough bread. My calorie counts for that were not accurate until I started weighing the slices. Now I weigh and multiple by 3 Cal/gram
  • cmriverside
    edited April 2018
    Options
    On Myfitnesspal you can enter all the ingredients in your sourdough bread into the Recipe Builder by weight and then you have it right there for every entry.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Didn't look through all 8 pages, but this is my go-to video and it does include peanut butter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Didn't look through all 8 pages, but this is my go-to video and it does include peanut butter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM

Hadn't seen that one before. Thanks!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Portion-Size-Tip-Weight-Loss.jpg

That's a good one!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale for a lot, not everything. I use the "eyeball" method for leafy greens as being an entire cup off is not a lot as far as calories go. There are times I am crunched for time or simply do not feel like cooking, if I eat something pre-packaged, I just go by the packaging information.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point where I make it a game to keep it interesting/me engaged in the practice.

For example, I will slice off a portion of rib roast estimating it to be the 8 oz I want, then weigh it to see how close/off I am. I feel it doing so will come in handy if/when I ever eat out or where I do not have control of the menu.