You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    There are times when eyeballing your portions is the only option, but the scales are invaluable at home.
  • CindyMarie85
    CindyMarie85 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2018
    I bought their recommended scale, which I love btw, based on watching an older youtube video about scales by America's Test Kitchen, but here is their more recent review video: Digital Kitchen Scales

I highly recommend watching them as they are super informative and very helpful in making a good decision, PLUS they give a budget friendly recommendation at the end!

• dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    very good advice on here! I was faithful with measuring scale and have fallen away. Reminder I need to get back on the bandwagon!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    If I scan the barcode and it doesn't give me an option to enter by weight, I will search in the database for another entry that has that option. Most the time I enter the quantity option of 1 gram and then in servings I enter the total number of grams. So if it weighs 60 grams, I put in 60, 1 gram servings. I also still measure just incase I forget to tare out my previous ingredient. Then I at least have that to back up on. :) it gets easier... I also google a lot of math problems like what is 1/8th as a decimal.. because I can never remember hahah

I google a lot, too. LOL
  • If I scan the barcode and it doesn't give me an option to enter by weight, I will search in the database for another entry that has that option. Most the time I enter the quantity option of 1 gram and then in servings I enter the total number of grams. So if it weighs 60 grams, I put in 60, 1 gram servings. I also still measure just incase I forget to tare out my previous ingredient. Then I at least have that to back up on. :) it gets easier... I also google a lot of math problems like what is 1/8th as a decimal.. because I can never remember hahah

I google a lot, too. LOL

Me three.....lol
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I Just jumped on the scale bandwagon last week. I've lost successfully without one, but picked one up just to dial my numbers in a bit better. For example, I have no idea what a 3oz serving of meat actually looks like, so I would just guess high just in case. I'm finding with some things, I've been underfeeding myself due to unsure overestimations. Some things I'm finding I've underestimated and unintentionally overate. I'm still learning to use it effectively. It takes me a while to measure everything, especially when I forget to "tare" before my next ingredient, lol. Also I've noticed scanning the barcode and then weighing isn't always the best thing because I've weighed something, then scanned the barcode and it pulls up the serving as "1 item = x calories"...Then I have to look and see how many grams the serving size says on the package... This requires a lot more math then I realized it would, lol.

Edit: In other words, it's taking me forever in the kitchen! I'm hoping with more experience I'll get faster at this!

If I scan the barcode and it doesn't give me an option to enter by weight, I will search in the database for another entry that has that option. Most the time I enter the quantity option of 1 gram and then in servings I enter the total number of grams. So if it weighs 60 grams, I put in 60, 1 gram servings. I also still measure just incase I forget to tare out my previous ingredient. Then I at least have that to back up on. :) it gets easier... I also google a lot of math problems like what is 1/8th as a decimal.. because I can never remember hahah

I've been doing just that actually. Or just saying .9 servings or 1.2 servings depending on how it weighs out. Or googling conversion rates for X measurement =Y in grams. Still a bit on the time consuming side, but not too much worse then measuring everything by cups and what not.
  • CindyMarie85
    CindyMarie85 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2018
    I Just jumped on the scale bandwagon last week. I've lost successfully without one, but picked one up just to dial my numbers in a bit better. For example, I have no idea what a 3oz serving of meat actually looks like, so I would just guess high just in case. I'm finding with some things, I've been underfeeding myself due to unsure overestimations. Some things I'm finding I've underestimated and unintentionally overate. I'm still learning to use it effectively. It takes me a while to measure everything, especially when I forget to "tare" before my next ingredient, lol. Also I've noticed scanning the barcode and then weighing isn't always the best thing because I've weighed something, then scanned the barcode and it pulls up the serving as "1 item = x calories"...Then I have to look and see how many grams the serving size says on the package... This requires a lot more math then I realized it would, lol.

Edit: In other words, it's taking me forever in the kitchen! I'm hoping with more experience I'll get faster at this!

my strategy is that i have my calculator app on my phone right next to mfp - so while i scan the item i scope out the grams per serving, for example a serving of baby spinach (yes i weigh EVERYTHING at home) is 85 grams, then i weigh the spinach and swap to my calculator, so, if i weigh out 112 grams of spinach i close mfp, open calculator, divide 112 by 85 = 1.317, reopen mfp and log 1.32 servings of spinach. if the item has an accurate entry in 100 gram serving sizes i can skip the math, but more often than not, it doesn't.

I personally think it is easier, if their is the 1 gram serving listed, to just put 112, 1 gram servings. It will still come out to the same amount of calories, but the program does the math, not you. :)

EDIT: After playing around in the database I don't think this always works... so I definitely have to reassess lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

my strategy is that i have my calculator app on my phone right next to mfp - so while i scan the item i scope out the grams per serving, for example a serving of baby spinach (yes i weigh EVERYTHING at home) is 85 grams, then i weigh the spinach and swap to my calculator, so, if i weigh out 112 grams of spinach i close mfp, open calculator, divide 112 by 85 = 1.317, reopen mfp and log 1.32 servings of spinach. if the item has an accurate entry in 100 gram serving sizes i can skip the math, but more often than not, it doesn't.

I personally think it is easier, if their is the 1 gram serving listed, to just put 112, 1 gram servings. It will still come out to the same amount of calories, but the program does the math, not you. :)

EDIT: After playing around in the database I don't think this always works... so I definitely have to reassess lol

And if it’s 100 grams, and you have 112, you just put 1.12 servings.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    I bought their recommended scale, which I love btw, based on watching an older youtube video about scales by America's Test Kitchen, but here is their more recent review video: Digital Kitchen Scales

I highly recommend watching them as they are super informative and very helpful in making a good decision, PLUS they give a budget friendly recommendation at the end!

I've had that exact 11-Pound OXO Good Grips Food Scale for almost 8 years now. If it ever dies I'll get another one. Not switching brands unless they stop making it.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member

I've had that exact 11-Pound OXO Good Grips Food Scale for almost 8 years now. If it ever dies I'll get another one. Not switching brands unless they stop making it.

I replaced my 20-yr-old 11-lb Oxo with the 22-lb one. Game changer.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited February 2018

I don't like the 1 gram serving size entries because it's impossible to check the accuracy of the entry -- calories and macros all round to zero, so even though MFP is storing the data behind the scene and doing the math when you log, for example, 78 servings at 1 gram each, there's no way to know if that underlying data is accurate. And I have seen entries where data for one serving size (say 1 tablespoon) is accurate, but another serving size that was presumably derived from it (e.g., 1 teaspoon) is wildy inaccurate. So I'm not going to take it on faith that if the entry has a serving size greater mass that is accurate, the 1 gram entry must be accurate.

ETA: I also have had the 11-pound OXO Good Grips scale for a long time (four and a half years using it mutiple times a day to log on MFP, plus I'd guess at least another five years before that using it maybe once a week on average for baking), and I'm very pleased with its endurance, accuracy, ease of clearning, and long battery life.