quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ed2nrt4fg7vh.gif
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2018
    Options
    bellecurl wrote: »
    Well, I'm feeling kind of dumb now. I've been tracking for years and I thought when people said to use a food scale they just meant to measure your foods. Therefore, I didn't bother to weigh anything that had a measurement attached to it. I watched the videos in this thread and they were eye-opening! This morning I weighed my cereal instead of just measuring out 3/4 cup, and there was a real difference. Thanks for the education!

Woo hoo!!! <3 this!

• lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    to guesstimate
  • Beatman1983
    Beatman1983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. can any of you guys recommend a scales that's portable? Do any connect to your phone and convert grams to calories or is this manual?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I just round way up. I can see both sides of the debate, but really I feel that if an extra 20 calories throws off your entire day then wow, you are hard-core as far as I'm concerned. Shouldn't matter because I know there is no way anyone is completely accurate in their calories out.

When I was losing, with a 250 calorie deficit, I was weighing everything because several of the items I usually eat were off sometimes by 50-75 calories. That's a large chunk of my daily deficit, and if done a couple times a week, it would have slowed my loss considerably. It's easier when you have bigger numbers to work with and in maintenance it's not as important for me. No, you can't be perfect because it's all estimates. But, for a lot of petite folks, or those on a tiny deficit, it matters.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    We're trying to weigh more of our stuff, our dinner gets weighed as best we can and usually I have leftovers for lunch so that gets weighed too. Prepacked stuff I don't weigh, but I've started weighing snacks I bring to work like crackers and such and I've definitely been estimating 10-20% low

You might want to be aware that many pre-packaged foods don't weigh the same as their serving size suggests. For example, I bought some flour tortillas once that had a weight in grams for a single tortilla, but when I weighed the tortilla it weighed a full 30% more than the package claimed.

Bread is another good example since the largest slices are typically in the middle of the loaf.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    We're trying to weigh more of our stuff, our dinner gets weighed as best we can and usually I have leftovers for lunch so that gets weighed too. Prepacked stuff I don't weigh, but I've started weighing snacks I bring to work like crackers and such and I've definitely been estimating 10-20% low

You might want to be aware that many pre-packaged foods don't weigh the same as their serving size suggests. For example, I bought some flour tortillas once that had a weight in grams for a single tortilla, but when I weighed the tortilla it weighed a full 30% more than the package claimed.

Bread is another good example since the largest slices are typically in the middle of the loaf.

I will admit that I have never weighed a tortilla or a piece of bread. I may have weighed crackers once or twice because I wanted to see if I could eat a few more crackers. If I have a big bag of chips I weigh out a serving. If it is a preportioned bag of chips I do not weigh. I do not weigh the milk I put in my coffee or the cream. I do not weigh any veggies unless I am curious about how much it is. I weigh eggs sometimes but not always.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »

I will admit that I have never weighed a tortilla or a piece of bread. I may have weighed crackers once or twice because I wanted to see if I could eat a few more crackers. If I have a big bag of chips I weigh out a serving. If it is a preportioned bag of chips I do not weigh. I do not weigh the milk I put in my coffee or the cream. I do not weigh any veggies unless I am curious about how much it is. I weigh eggs sometimes but not always.

I weight bread in bulk, as I'm the only one in the house that likes sourdough or eats the low calorie tortillas; I can simply weight the whole package/loaf and divide by the number of slices. I figure the calories for a single piece (using MFP grams for the product), and use that as my entry until the loaf/package runs out. It may not be accurate day to day, but it does become accurate over time. I do the same for a lot of food in which I'm the only one eating it.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Friday night bump.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Friday night bump.

Monday morning bump.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've had a scale at home that used to get a lot of use, but has been collecting dust. Gonna start getting a lot of use again. I also just purchased another ($10 on amazon - hopefully it's accurate enough) to keep at work for the snacks I have here! We order lunch a lot, and I've started getting just grilled chicken and a roasted veg, but I have no idea how many oz/grams it is, so I'll let the scale tell me instead of attempting to (wrongly) guess all the time.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Also, thank you for explaining the ml function and how to measure liquids - I honestly was so confused on how to do that for the longest time. I just made a recipe and was able to successfully measure all of the liquid components to it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hump day Bump day!