Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto means not counting calories

Options

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I've been keto for the past 4 months: [1] I don't pay any attention to calories. I eat at my TDEE: 2200/day and continue to lose weight. It's NOT calories in/calories out. I belong to several Facebook keto groups and many of my friends on this site are doing keto and post their food diaries. Most of us eat at our TDEE-- that's a shitload of calories. I don't exercise-- many do. I continuously lose. So do almost all my keto contacts. I'm working with my endocrinologist. I'm not diabetic and don't want to be--so this works for MANY people. People are comfortable with CICO. But ultimately, when you look at the success rates of low calorie diets: they don't work for over 90% of people long term. We've been taught our whole lives to eat less, exercise more. [3] Keto throws that to the wind. Eat fewer carbohydrates, but EAT. [4] We are never hungry: which low calories diets cannot claim. You can certainly add exercise: we all need it for well being, muscle strength and endurance, and basic life. I won't argue that. But I will argue and I have plenty who will back me up: keto is not CICO.

[1] If you don't pay any attention to calories, how do you know you're eating at your TDEE?

[2] Feel free to post any legitimate studies/statistics showing a higher long term success rate with keto over any other diet.

[3] No, keto does not throw CICO to the wind. This is an example of the ridiculous claims made in keto propaganda. There have been countless scientific studies conclusively proving that energy balance is the driver of weight loss/gain/maintenance.

[4] More keto propaganda woo. There are plenty of people eating non-keto, calorie-restricted diets who enjoy excellent satiety. That it works for you doesn't mean that it works for everyone.

Keto
    Is
    Not
    Magic.

AnvilHead, you don't have to agree, but these are my experiences. Propaganda is for a specific purpose: I have no other purpose than to answer her questions. I don't pay attention to calories: at the end of the day I look and see where I am-- I don't have to try to stay under. Feel free to research how few people maintain weight loss with CICO. Have fun with that.
    People (like yourself) are vehemently apposed to keto-- that's fine, it's not for everyone. But it works and it's not nearly the fad people think it is. There are many endocrinologists that would disagree with your claims that CICO is the be all end all. I would never say keto has better success than every other diet: my ego isn't so big that I need to claim things I don't know. But I do know that people do not have to eat at a deficit to lose on keto. I do know food is more of an indicator of how much weight people will lose is than exercise.

Your experience with keto does not make it a fact for everyone. CICO is how you're losing weight. Whether you think it is or not.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I've been keto for the past 4 months: [1] I don't pay any attention to calories. I eat at my TDEE: 2200/day and continue to lose weight. It's NOT calories in/calories out. I belong to several Facebook keto groups and many of my friends on this site are doing keto and post their food diaries. Most of us eat at our TDEE-- that's a shitload of calories. I don't exercise-- many do. I continuously lose. So do almost all my keto contacts. I'm working with my endocrinologist. I'm not diabetic and don't want to be--so this works for MANY people. People are comfortable with CICO. But ultimately, when you look at the success rates of low calorie diets: they don't work for over 90% of people long term. We've been taught our whole lives to eat less, exercise more. [3] Keto throws that to the wind. Eat fewer carbohydrates, but EAT. [4] We are never hungry: which low calories diets cannot claim. You can certainly add exercise: we all need it for well being, muscle strength and endurance, and basic life. I won't argue that. But I will argue and I have plenty who will back me up: keto is not CICO.

[1] If you don't pay any attention to calories, how do you know you're eating at your TDEE?

[2] Feel free to post any legitimate studies/statistics showing a higher long term success rate with keto over any other diet.

[3] No, keto does not throw CICO to the wind. This is an example of the ridiculous claims made in keto propaganda. There have been countless scientific studies conclusively proving that energy balance is the driver of weight loss/gain/maintenance.

[4] More keto propaganda woo. There are plenty of people eating non-keto, calorie-restricted diets who enjoy excellent satiety. That it works for you doesn't mean that it works for everyone.

Keto
    Is
    Not
    Magic.

AnvilHead, you don't have to agree, but these are my experiences. Propaganda is for a specific purpose: I have no other purpose than to answer her questions. I don't pay attention to calories: at the end of the day I look and see where I am-- I don't have to try to stay under. Feel free to research how few people maintain weight loss with CICO. Have fun with that.
    People (like yourself) are vehemently apposed to keto-- that's fine, it's not for everyone. But it works and it's not nearly the fad people think it is. There are many endocrinologists that would disagree with your claims that CICO is the be all end all. I would never say keto has better success than every other diet: my ego isn't so big that I need to claim things I don't know. But I do know that people do not have to eat at a deficit to lose on keto. I do know food is more of an indicator of how much weight people will lose is than exercise.

Your experience with keto does not make it a fact for everyone. CICO is how you're losing weight. Whether you think it is or not.

let's not forget that water loss is part of the loss seen in any "keto" diet also. This can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Even though it's a bit off topic, it's not just keto. I don't want the people who really truly understand the reason people lose weight on a low carb diet ( or any diet) to feel like it's a dump fest on them. I am forever seeing people spread myths about all types of dieting. Multi level marketing, vegan, whatever.
    The fact remains that any" diet" will work as long as you create a calorie deficit.

correct but not everyone believes that. they read into these gimmicky diets,weight loss products and so on and believe the hype. then when they dont lose or stop losing they give up because they rely on a quick fix. I wish we could get rid of all these bs diets and they need to stop being able to sell these stupid things to gullible/desperate people. if more people could learn that its all about a calorie deficit then maybe one day these things would disappear

That would be great but sadly the diet/ health/ weight loss industry makes billions of dollars selling people on a false hope scam. (I believe that they should be better regulated but that's a different topic)
    I don't think we'll ever be able to get rid of the scams and myths fully but it would be nice.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins in the past, and I am thankful to have learned that my body does well when I eat no sugar or starches. I keep my carb count low (at 60g/day) and naturally the balance is to up the protein. And instead of worrying about fat, I just report saturated fat to myself. I don't eat anything with trans fats. I am now at a max of 1450 calories and back at the gym. I know what works for *ME* I just have to stay with it. The gym is a must. So is tracking and support, like MFP.

I have a friend online who touts the glory of a "high fat keto" diet. I think that's insane. If one cuts the carbs, the balance goes to proteins or fats. If one cuts carbs, one burns fat. And still needs 100g of protein every day. The math doesn't work as far as nutrition is concerned.

Fad diets are worth what one can learn from them about how their bodies respond to certain foods. And that's about it. They aren't sustainable.

The math actually does work out. To be ketogenic, all you need to be is very low carb, usually under 50g a day although some go higher and some are lower. Most choose moderate protein, which 100g would be for most unless their calories are quite low, The rest is fat.

TBH, if you are active, you might be ketogenic most of the time at about 60g of carbs.