Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wow, has this thread picked up steam! Awesome...

I am curious to view on this question. For those who are not planning on quitting long term - what is your definition of successful / sustainable moderation?

I consider myself having a 'healthy' relationship with alcohol (beer). For probably the last 8-10 years, I never (and can't) drink until I'm drunk. I have never in my life blacked out from too much. At this stage of my life, it is a exceedingly rare occasion I ever make it past two drinks in a day. If I do, I don't desire the taste again for a month or so.

My definition today is as it has always been.. knowing when to turn it off, knowing when to dial it back and knowing when to enjoy.

What is your "happy place" for successful / sustainable moderation. How will you know you've reached it?

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,557 Member
    Options
    All such great reading today. Thanks to everyone for digging so deep within yourselves and keeping on course...what ever your course maybe.

In reference to the "My Happy Place" question~~~~ mine is limiting to one drink. I know this to be so true. Two drinks start to feel good and then by three drinks the party would be on a roll. And more than not it would be rolling down hill.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    justlog wrote: »
    Wow, has this thread picked up steam! Awesome...

I am curious to view on this question. For those who are not planning on quitting long term - what is your definition of successful / sustainable moderation?

I consider myself having a 'healthy' relationship with alcohol (beer). For probably the last 8-10 years, I never (and can't) drink until I'm drunk. I have never in my life blacked out from too much. At this stage of my life, it is a exceedingly rare occasion I ever make it past two drinks in a day. If I do, I don't desire the taste again for a month or so.

My definition today is as it has always been.. knowing when to turn it off, knowing when to dial it back and knowing when to enjoy.

What is your "happy place" for successful / sustainable moderation. How will you know you've reached it?

When my drinking no longer affects my work.
    Is my main one. I no longer go to work hungover and in the long haul it saves me money.

I only plan to drink Fri/Sat.. and maybe Sun... otherwise not a drop as I can never just have one.

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @Skyweigh - thanks for that. So encouraging!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I think I've reached my happy place these past few weeks. I know it sounds weird, but when I drank I would worry in advance if I knew I was going out to bars with my friends. I would worry and pray that I wouldnt drink too much and get sick, hungover, or ruin the next day. I would then negotiate with myself the few days before of how much I was going to allow myself. I'd even write "club soda" on my hand so I could see it, and tell my friends to make me drink water between drinks; I put too much worry and effort in moderating before Jan. 1st. Because once I hit past two drinks, I could not turn it off.

Now, I am in my happy place. For me, I feel so much better just simply knowing I wont drink. I wont take a sip. No negotiation , worry or anxiety about how much is too much. It's all too much for me, I'm afraid. So, I will just be content and happy not drinking, but not begrudge my husband or friends if they do.

I know alcohol for me is like the wolf in the woods waiting (great quote on this thread) . And I know I may stumble and drink again. I do miss it when I'm out, and for now, it's not nearly as much fun going out and be the only one not drinking. But I think I will get used to being social and yet not drink.

This thread is my life line. Thank you all for the tips and thought provoking questions and comments. Xo

I can't wait until I get to that place where I dont feel anxiety about hanging out with friends at a bar or dinner. And going through the mental struggle of should i drink not drink how much to drink.....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Another day without wineries (wine calories). Yay me!

And another day down. Whoot!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Day 8 and loving it, I'm sleeping so well! Unfortunately, I had hoped it would help with the vertigo I've been experiencing, but apparently not - that's still there in full force.

When I had the vertigo badly I had the same hope. Sorry it's not helping your either.