February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    got in five miles in my vague attempt to keep to the marathon plan this morning. I have come to the conclusion that 14 minute plus miles MUST be a sign of ill-health. I mean, five miles was HARD this morning. Really hard. I have a 10k race on Saturday, and will be checking with them first what the cut-off is, because I reckon it'll take me about an hour and a half.

sorry, just me getting depressed about my ill health and the long slow turning of the cogs of the NHS. Every so often I consider abandoning the idea of trying to run, and giving up the idea of the marathon ever happen, but then what happens? Surely that's just the way to fatness and unfitness? The nurse taking bloods this morning asked if I exercised when I told her my resting heart rate was increasing. Surely exercise helps it go DOWN not up?

fed up. tired. fatigued. weak. in pain. Having a bad day.

my RHR went up while I was sick. It's finally back down to normal for me, now that I'm better. Keep doing what you can and keep going. Training wile unwell is HARD. Sometimes it's better to rest. I missed like 14 training days in my marathon cycle last year and still made it to the starting line. You can do this!

thank you. That's reassuring. I've already missed a couple of shorter runs, as I think this thyroid thing is now causing muscle weakness - my leg muscles are having a hard time right now. I'm certainly not aiming to set any kind of reasonable time if I make it to the start line!!! Right now I'm trying to do as many of the runs as I can within the cycle, no matter how long each of the runs takes me. I'm run/walking but may try just running for shorter runs.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    got in five miles in my vague attempt to keep to the marathon plan this morning. I have come to the conclusion that 14 minute plus miles MUST be a sign of ill-health. I mean, five miles was HARD this morning. Really hard. I have a 10k race on Saturday, and will be checking with them first what the cut-off is, because I reckon it'll take me about an hour and a half.

sorry, just me getting depressed about my ill health and the long slow turning of the cogs of the NHS. Every so often I consider abandoning the idea of trying to run, and giving up the idea of the marathon ever happen, but then what happens? Surely that's just the way to fatness and unfitness? The nurse taking bloods this morning asked if I exercised when I told her my resting heart rate was increasing. Surely exercise helps it go DOWN not up?

my RHR went up while I was sick. It's finally back down to normal for me, now that I'm better. Keep doing what you can and keep going. Training wile unwell is HARD. Sometimes it's better to rest. I missed like 14 training days in my marathon cycle last year and still made it to the starting line. You can do this!

thank you. That's reassuring. I've already missed a couple of shorter runs, as I think this thyroid thing is now causing muscle weakness - my leg muscles are having a hard time right now. I'm certainly not aiming to set any kind of reasonable time if I make it to the start line!!! Right now I'm trying to do as many of the runs as I can within the cycle, no matter how long each of the runs takes me. I'm run/walking but may try just running for shorter runs.

Just keep at it and keep intensity real low, the exercise will help with general health and it will help you keep your mind in the game too. You got this!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options

Running is hard on good days! Hang in there!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

My husband, however, now thinks I am bat *kitten* crazy and I might have a running problem. Apparently, only crazy people go running at 4:30 am when they can't sleep. LOL

(looks left.....looks right....) Erm....not guilty by reason of insanity? That is my preferred time to run. And when I run on work days, that's when it has to be done. (I work 0645am - 7pm) Weather is cooler, very low traffic, no one looking at ya, and it is over and DONE so the rest of the day is yours. Welcome to the asylum!

Also a 4:30 am runner. I'm not sure when else I'd do it during the week. Occasionally when I work from home and it's cold out, I'll do it around lunch time when there's more degrees.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    2/1/18-4 miles
    2/5/18-3 miles
    2/6/18-3 miles
    2/7/18-3 miles
    2/8/18-2.5 miles
    2/11/18-8 miles
    2/13/18-4 miles
    2/14/18-1.5 miles
    2/15/18-4 miles
    2/18/18-10 miles
    2/19/18-3 miles
    2/21/18-3.5 miles

49.5/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    5/12/18-Montana women's run, 5 miles
    7/15/18-Missoula Marathon
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Race day Saturday!! Here's the forecast for my 20 mile trail race (also 10 mile and 50K options):

Showers early with thunderstorms developing later in the day. High near 50F. E winds at 10 to 20 mph, with occasional gusts to 40 mph. Chance or rain, 80%

Temperature at race start is forecast to be 40F. That, plus rain, plus wind, plus lightning. The course report from yesterday indicated lots of packed snow and ice yet, and they recommend screw shoes. FUN STUFF!!

Sounds like your kind of race! Have a great time!
  • lporter229
    Options
    Does anyone here have a Google Pixel 2 phone? I keep having problems with my Garmin (Forerunner 220) staying paired with my phone. I constantly have to keep manually pairing them and even then sometimes it doesn't want to work. Has anyone else experienced this same issue?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Does anyone here have a Google Pixel 2 phone? I keep having problems with my Garmin (Forerunner 220) staying paired with my phone. I constantly have to keep manually pairing them and even then sometimes it doesn't want to work. Has anyone else experienced this same issue?

I had this same problem over the weekend with my iPhone. First time it has happened in a couple of years though. It's been working since I deleted my Garmin Forerunner 220 and added it back.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I had this same problem over the weekend with my iPhone. First time it has happened in a couple of years though. It's been working since I deleted my Garmin Forerunner 220 and added it back.

I know there is an update to the 220 that I have to do, so maybe that has something to do with it. I just got a new laptop at work and it's not letting me install the Garmin Express software. I guess my company blocked it which stinks because I had it on my old one and used it all of the time. I guess I will have to try from home tonight. Did I ever mention that I hate technology? lol
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I know there is an update to the 220 that I have to do, so maybe that has something to do with it. I just got a new laptop at work and it's not letting me install the Garmin Express software. I guess my company blocked it which stinks because I had it on my old one and used it all of the time. I guess I will have to try from home tonight. Did I ever mention that I hate technology? lol

My 935 and my iPhone occasionally get into little spats where they do not want to talk to each other. The only fix I have found is to reboot the iPhone. It has not happened since the last update though.

Maybe try rebooting your Google Phone? Can not hurt to try.
  • lporter229
    Options

My 935 and my iPhone occasionally get into little spats where they do not want to talk to each other. The only fix I have found is to reboot the iPhone. It has not happened since the last update though.

Maybe try rebooting your Google Phone? Can not hurt to try.

I tried that. They just aren't talking. Oh well. First world problem, I guess.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I had Garmin/Google Pixel XL 1 pairing issues a little while ago, when they just decided to completely refuse to talk to each other. These are the steps Garmin Support gave me -

1) Open Garmin Connect Mobile
    2) Go to Menu > Garmin Devices
    3) Press and Hold vivoactive
    4) Remove Device > Yes
    5) Go to the app Menu > Settings > Sign Out > Yes
    6) Open the Bluetooth Settings on your phone
    7) Remove vivoactive if listed from Bluetooth Settings
    8) Open Settings on your Android phone
    9) Go to Apps/Application Manager > Connect
    10) Select Storage
    11) Select Clear Cache
    12) Restart phone and vivoactive (left is power button)
    13) Re-pair your vivoactive with the Garmin Connect Mobile application https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/sPSLztj6QtA0y7ySlqmM5A
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless great pictures on your muddy run. :) Shoes tend to be salvageable in most cases.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I always had issues with my phone (Android) talking to my 220. I had to delete the watch out of GC Connect app and add it back in to make the 2 finally synch with each other. The 935 seems to be synching to my phone app with no problems so far.