February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 We have such dry air here that 58 feels colder here than when I was in Wisconsin. Plus we just had highs of 80s so the drop is crazy.

I figured humidity was why today felt warmer than 27, and no wind. I've had day where the upper 50's was cold. The temp swing this week is definitely crazy.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @lporter229 when Skip was a Girl Scout she was not allowed to sell door to door. Only at houses they knew. That is why they sell in front of stores or online or at mom and dads place of business. Skip was the dealer at school, she'd bring in boxes and sell at lunch time. This was high school and she would easily sell 10 to 20 boxes a day sometimes more.

That is a sad statement about our world today that kids can no longer go door to door in their own neighborhoods to sell things. We did it all the time as kids and it taught us a lot. My brother and I also had a paper route, which is also a thing of the past. I feel really sorry for today's youth. It is no big surprise that so many of them have troubles adjusting to social situations. Good for Skip for taking that initiative. Another example of why she is a great kid and you are a great Mom!

In the town where I live, it is ILLEGAL for kids to go door to door... $1000 fine. Seriously.

Now THAT'S taking crime seriously!! smh...

We only found out cause I sent my son out with his school fund raiser and someone actually made it clear they intended file a complaint if he showed up again. Did not believe it... till I looked up the law, and sure enough, it is real.

Where I live, there are solicitation ordinances too. In my city specifically, they need to buy a license to solicit door to door. Frankly, I think it is ridiculous. It truly doesn't bother me if someone rings my bell trying to sell something. If I don't want to buy it, I'll just say no... is that really such a bother?!

My assumption was that it more out of concern for the safety of the children? IDK, Maybe not.

It’s probably a general rule to protect vulnerable people. Not everyone has the capacity to say no and door-to-door people can be very persuasive. We tend to mostly have charity reps (although they are just paid workers and don’t actually work for the charity) asking for sign-ups or dodgy builders who fleece little old ladies out of their pensions for building works they don’t need and don’t get.

What are Girl Scout cookies? At first I thought they were a brand and money went towards the scout movement. Are they homemade?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Well done Hobbes the vizsla!!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.95 miles - Interval, Core, followed with Sarasota Beach run (virtual)
    Feb 3 - 5.44 miles - Interval, Back & Core, followed with Destin Beach (Florida) run (v)
    Feb 4 - 4.35 miles - Floor Core, Interval & Biceps, followed with Liguria (Italy) run (v)
    Feb 5 - 3.1 miles - Caveman special, Interval, Legz & Core
    Feb 6 - 5.14 miles - 4 mile ÞJÓÐVEGUR run (virtual, followed with Interval, Abs & Lower Back
    Feb 7 - 5.15 miles - Interval & Chest, followed with Maria Aurora, Central Luzon (not to be mistaken with Luton :) ))
    Feb 8 - Triple R day
    Feb 9 - 4.1 miles - 3 mile TM run, followed with Interval & Core
    Feb 10 - 4.5 miles - Caveman special - Interval, Arms Superset & Core - unintentional 1.75mile Japan run
    Feb 11 - 2.1 miles - Caveman special - Interval, Shoulders & Core - should have been rest day
    Feb 12 - 4.4 miles - 3.1 mile Aosta, France run, followed with 1.3 mile Interval & Core
    Feb 13 - 3 miles - Caveman special - Interval, Back & Biceps
    Feb 14 - 3.1 miles - short run (Phnom Penh, Cambodia today), followed with Interval & Core
    Feb 15 - 4.5 miles - Interval, Legzzzzz & Core, followed with lunchtime short foot-pod calibration run
    Feb 16 - 3.2 miles - Interval, Chest & Core
    Feb 17 - 4.1 miles - Increased pace Miami Beach (virtual) run, followed with Interval & Core
    Feb 18 - Triple R
    Feb 19 - 4.9 miles - 3.1 mile Sloth run, followed with Interval, Triceps & Core
    Feb 20 - 3.1 miles - Caveman Special - Interval, Core & Shoulders
    Feb 21 - 4.6 miles - Sloth run, followed with Interval & Core
    Feb 22 - 4.2 miles - Short, hilly, Sloth run (Argentina), followed with Interval, Back & Core

exercise.png

• abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Decided to hit the trails to change it up and out of nowhere the trail ended. No signs to say stop choose the other path. Just a ditch and a hill clearly leading to someones backyard. So since i wasnt too sure of where i was i decided to head back to a main street and find my way home.
    exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Also, we are supposed to leave for our "ski" weekend in Deep Creek, MD on Friday. The forecast for the weekend is high 50s and steady rain. Pretty dreadful ski conditions. I am going to take me skis, but I don't have high hopes for getting any skiing in. Also going to take my trail shoes. That might be a lot more fun!
    If you don't have snow at Deep Creek, you could check and see how long of a drive it would be to take a day trip up to Somerset County, PA. Seven Springs Resort typically has snow all winter ;)
    Disclaimer: I'm not a skier. I may or may not have put on ski clothing one New Year's Eve though, to ride a motorcycle up there to drink hot chocolate and sit by the fire in the lodge. THAT was a cold ride.

I am from Pittsburgh and Seven Springs is actually where I learned to ski! I have not been there in years though. Deep Creek is not that far away. They will likely be making snow, but I have no desire to try and ski when it's raining and everything on the ground immediately turns to ice. I have tried that before and it's pretty miserable. I think I will try and hit some trails for running and hiking. And I am sure that my legs will still welcome a few long soaks in the hot tub.

BTW, the hot chocolate motorcycle ride sounds like fun!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat
    What are Girl Scout cookies? At first I thought they were a brand and money went towards the scout movement. Are they homemade?

They are sold by the Girl Scouts, made at a few select big bakeries. A small portion goes to the troop. I assume the rest goes to the bakeries and main Girl Scout organization but not 100% sure. It's been a long time since I was a girl scout. If I recall, we used the money to do overnights?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    got in five miles in my vague attempt to keep to the marathon plan this morning. I have come to the conclusion that 14 minute plus miles MUST be a sign of ill-health. I mean, five miles was HARD this morning. Really hard. I have a 10k race on Saturday, and will be checking with them first what the cut-off is, because I reckon it'll take me about an hour and a half.

sorry, just me getting depressed about my ill health and the long slow turning of the cogs of the NHS. Every so often I consider abandoning the idea of trying to run, and giving up the idea of the marathon ever happen, but then what happens? Surely that's just the way to fatness and unfitness? The nurse taking bloods this morning asked if I exercised when I told her my resting heart rate was increasing. Surely exercise helps it go DOWN not up?

fed up. tired. fatigued. weak. in pain. Having a bad day.

my RHR went up while I was sick. It's finally back down to normal for me, now that I'm better. Keep doing what you can and keep going. Training wile unwell is HARD. Sometimes it's better to rest. I missed like 14 training days in my marathon cycle last year and still made it to the starting line. You can do this!