2/19 4 miles - 57.5
    2/20 8 miles - 65.5
    2/21 REST DAY
    2/22 8 miles - 73.5
    2/23 3.1 miles - 76.6

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I'm kinda excited that my lunch run will probably be in the rain? I don't think that's weird :D

Yes, but it is okay, even good, to be weird at times. :)

I'm a nerd/geek so being kinda weird, at least in the eyes of some unfortunate people, is pretty much my ground state of existence, lol. I just tend to not believe in the existence of 'normal', lol
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    So, I have a timing issue...

On 3/17 I am signed up for a Half Marathon followed by a 5k followed by a 1 miler. The course is rumored to have many steep hills. So while it will be my first official HM, I am not planning on getting my fastest possible time.

The big question I need figure out is that I am scheduled to donate blood 3 days before. I usually react badly to donations and take time to recover (sometimes cannot even drive home)

So now I am worried that I am donating to close to the race. But the drive is at my work so it is very convenient. UGH. Not sure what to do. Not like I can move the blood drive or the race. No one ever asks me about scheduling these things. *sigh*

I am also O Neg, the ‘Universal Donor’. I am also CMV negative, meaning my blood gets prioritised for neonatal usage. It is probably the only way I will ever get to be a superhero….

As to when you should donate then race – I would move one of them I’m afraid. I know from experience I can’t run the day after donating, and interestingly having had a blood test three weeks after donating, my iron levels were STILL below normal, suggesting I would fare badly in a race as well.

Now I’m a strong believer in donating all you can (I’d rather you left some of it in me until I didn’t need it anymore) but there will be other blood drives. Are there any permanent sites you can go to? By the way, in this country I doubt you’d be able to donate given what you’ve said about your medical history, but then again, I wouldn’t be allowed to donate in your country either (it’s them bonkers cows that did it!!!)

I'm also CMV negative, and I've also been a blood transfusion recipient in the past which is what started me donating in the first place, although I had to wait a year after receiving the transfusions before I could start donating.

over here no person who has RECEIVED blood since 1 January 1980 can donate. I find it pretty arbitrary, as if you had a transfusion on say 31st December 1979 you'd be allowed to donate. (I'm told I received blood at birth, but because it was BEFORE the deadline, I'm a donor) Again, it's the cows.

Kudos to all people who are able to donate who do.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    I just followed several of you on Instagram.

@pastorvincent I also vote for rescheduling the donation. Especially if you have had bad reactions in the past. I am scheduled to donate on 3/15 but I don't have any races scheduled for March.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I also have done some IG stalking and requesting.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

On 3/17 I am signed up for a Half Marathon followed by a 5k followed by a 1 miler. The course is rumored to have many steep hills. So while it will be my first official HM, I am not planning on getting my fastest possible time.

The big question I need figure out is that I am scheduled to donate blood 3 days before. I usually react badly to donations and take time to recover (sometimes cannot even drive home)

So now I am worried that I am donating to close to the race. But the drive is at my work so it is very convenient. UGH. Not sure what to do. Not like I can move the blood drive or the race. No one ever asks me about scheduling these things. *sigh*

I am also O Neg, the ‘Universal Donor’. I am also CMV negative, meaning my blood gets prioritised for neonatal usage. It is probably the only way I will ever get to be a superhero….

As to when you should donate then race – I would move one of them I’m afraid. I know from experience I can’t run the day after donating, and interestingly having had a blood test three weeks after donating, my iron levels were STILL below normal, suggesting I would fare badly in a race as well.

Now I’m a strong believer in donating all you can (I’d rather you left some of it in me until I didn’t need it anymore) but there will be other blood drives. Are there any permanent sites you can go to? By the way, in this country I doubt you’d be able to donate given what you’ve said about your medical history, but then again, I wouldn’t be allowed to donate in your country either (it’s them bonkers cows that did it!!!)

I'm also CMV negative, and I've also been a blood transfusion recipient in the past which is what started me donating in the first place, although I had to wait a year after receiving the transfusions before I could start donating.

over here no person who has RECEIVED blood since 1 January 1980 can donate. I find it pretty arbitrary, as if you had a transfusion on say 31st December 1979 you'd be allowed to donate. (I'm told I received blood at birth, but because it was BEFORE the deadline, I'm a donor) Again, it's the cows.

Interesting to read this....as I sit here with my arm bandaged up after donating platelets this morning. They told me flat out they don't want me for my blood anymore, as my platelets are so good & they can get a "double" donation from me when I go in, so I try to get in every 2 weeks to donate. When I asked when making my appointment if I would be ok to do my race in the morning, they assured me I would be fine, just make sure I hydrate and eat fine. (they used the "treat yourself to a juicy steak!" thing, but to a vegetarian, not really an option! lol)

She said my iron levels are on the high end, which is really good for a veg-head, probably because of what I eat and my multi-vit has iron in it. Don't know if that would help those who say their iron levels are low?
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

https://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/say-i-donate-blood-how-long-till-im-back-to-normal
    Yikes, that's a long recovery time!

UGH

From the link

"I would recommend giving yourself a couple of days off after donating to regain your fluid volume before resuming your training. Wait at least a month before running a serious race, meaning a marathon or fast-paced shorter race. Two months would be safest, especially if you plan to run at an altitude that is higher than where you usually live and train."

May be you know it already , Beetroot and spinach juice can help in more speedy recovery.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Date Miles Notes
    2/1/18 3.1 ----drizzly evening run squeezed in before zumba!
    2/2/18 0 ----rest
    2/3/18 0 ----zumba (migraine aura started 1/2 way through but I fended off the pain!)
    2/4/18 8 ----out and back on the Rails-to-Trails
    2/5/18 0 ----rest
    2/6/18 4 ----lunch break run
    2/7/18 0 ----zumba class
    2/8/18 0 ----rest
    2/9/18 0 ----rest
    2/10/18 0 ----extra long Carnival-themed zumba class!
    2/11/18 9 ----wet, soggy, rainy run
    2/12/18 0 ----rest
    2/13/18 4 ----neg split run: 1st time in ages doing any kind of pace focus - felt good!
    2/14/18 0 ----zumba class
    2/15/18 5 ----was going to be 4 but it just felt so good!
    2/16/18 3.1 ----glorious warm, cloudy, windy run
    2/17/18 0 ----zumba class
    2/18/18 0 ----rest
    2/19/18 10 ----felt awesome! accidental negative splits on the last 5 miles
    2/20/18 3 ----lunch time run - 64° too warm, ugh
    2/21/18 0 ----zumba class
    2/22/18 0 ----running group potluck interfered w/my running. Ironic much? Lol
    2/23/18 6.2 ----chilly, damp, lightly rainy negative split run

Total: 55.4
    Goal: 80
    Miles Left: 24.6

So, it wasn't really very rainy, just a very fine, misty rain. That was really probably for the best though, because it is only 36°F out, which is on the cold side for me when it comes to running in rain. It's definitely taking me a little while to warm up after this run. I did get in an awesome set of negative splits on all 6 miles so that's good! (splits - 10:48, 10:38, 10:34, 10:11, 9:55, 9:28)

Also, blessed are those who not only stop nicely at intersections and acknowledge seeing me, but ALSO back up when they realize they've crossed into the shoulder or sidewalk. You are a rare breed and I love you. You almost make up for the people that never look to their right when turning right, lol.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB congrats on the 1st place AG finish in what sounds like an incredibly difficult slog! I didn't know whether to like your post for the race result or hug it for your injury. Hope you get it all sorted out soon

I skipped my 5 mile run last night and took my wife out for a drink instead. No regrets other than missing perfect running conditions. Mid 20s F in a snow storm. Oh well, I did get some glute work in and my ITB can use the extra rest ahead of my 20 mile tomorrow.

On my way down there now. Hoping to make it by 8pm in time for packet pick up tonight.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    2/1 = Vinyasa yoga class
    2/2 = 12 miles
    2/3 = rest day
    2/4 = 11 miles (run / walk intervals)
    2/5 = the flu day 1
    2/6 = the flu day 2
    2/7 = the flu day 3
    2/8 = the flu day 4
    2/9 = the flu day 5
    2/10 = the flu day 6
    2/11 = 4 slow and easy miles
    2/12 = 5 miles on dreadmill & weight training
    2/13 = Vinyasa yoga class
    2/14 = 12 miles
    2/15 = Vinyasa yoga class
    2/16 = 6 miles
    2/17 = 3 miles
    2/18 = 14 miles
    2/19 = 4 miles & Vinyasa yoga class
    2/20 = strength training at the gym
    2/21 = 9.5 miles
    2/22 = 5 miles
    2/23 = 11 miles

My run sucked today. I don't know why? I felt like I was expending 3x the effort but going in super slow mode speed -- Ugh. I hate runs like that. I need a rest day tomorrow I guess.

February goal miles 150 = 96.5 miles completed

3/4/18 = Alamo Half Marathon
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I echo Lenny's sentiments. Congratulations on a tough race in tough conditions on what seems to be a harsh injury going into it.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I also give kudos to those who can & do donate! My good friend's father just had major heart surgery and received many pints of blood. He thanks you as well. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Am I losing my mind? I thought someone mentioned autoimmune diseases and donating? I am curious about that as I've got one of those things. Lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Am I losing my mind? I thought someone mentioned autoimmune diseases and donating? I am curious about that as I've got one of those things. Lol

I did a few weeks back, haven't gotten anything set up right now though. Too much stuff going on in life.... ugh
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    [edited by mods]

Blood...I used to donate regularly. One day I was told that I tested positive for something and I had to get it checked out before donating again. It turned out to be a false positive but they still wouldn't take my blood anymore. It was so long ago that I don't even remember what it was.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    [edited by mods]

Blood...I used to donate regularly. One day I was told that I tested positive for something and I had to get it checked out before donating again. It turned out to be a false positive but they still wouldn't take my blood anymore. It was so long ago that I don't even remember what it was.

I stalked saw dog photos and had to follow LOL
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    2/1: 11.85 miles
    2/2: 13 miles
    2/3: 13.07 miles
    2/4: 10.3 miles
    2/5: 10.26 miles
    2/6: 10.26 miles
    2/7: 10.35 miles
    2/8: 9 miles
    2/9: 8.2 miles
    2/10: 8.5 miles
    2/11: 8.5 miles
    2/12: no run
    2/13: 10.8 miles
    2/14: 12.3 miles
    2/15: 12 miles
    2/16: 12 miles
    2/17: 11.87 miles
    2/18: 16.04 miles
    2/19: 10.92 miles
    2/20: 11.65 miles
    2/21: 11.58 miles
    2/22: 11 miles
    2/23: 12.2 miles

Total so far: 245.45 miles/300
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB All the kudos to you for your 1st place AG win in a tough tough race. I can't even begin to contemplate how hard that was. So sorry that you had an injury, and I hope everything will heal up and you'll be back on track for you big goals.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    02/01/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    02/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 5.0
    02/03/18 :::: 7.4 :::: 12.4
    02/04/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 15.6
    02/05/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 19.4
    02/06/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 22.5
    02/07/18 :::: 3.3 :::: 25.8
    02/08/18 :::: 3.4 :::: 29.2
    02/09/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 29.2
    02/10/18 :::: 8.1 :::: 37.3
    02/11/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 40.8
    02/12/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 44.0
    02/13/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 47.6
    02/14/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 47.6
    02/15/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 50.7
    02/16/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 50.7
    02/17/18 :::: 8.2 :::: 59.0
    02/18/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 62.2
    02/19/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 65.4
    02/20/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 68.2
    02/21/18 :::: 4.0 :::: 72.1
    02/22/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 72.1
    02/23/18 :::: 8.8 :::: 80.9
    Goal = 87 miles (average 5k per day)
    Current avg = 5.7 k per day

Impromptu long run today instead of tomorrow. I decided to go to the group run this morning to support the coach, and ended up running with a friend I hadn't seen for a while. I always enjoy running with him (and he keeps me at a good pace) so I agreed to run the longer time with him instead of stopping early and doing my long run tomorrow. It wasn't too bad out, but man the wind was fierce on the way back. I was regretting that decision for a while. Now I'm glad, of course, to have it done and out of the way. Tomorrow's run will seem so short.