Keto and Intermittent fasting is working!

Options
124»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    @Tennisdude2004
    My friend swears that eating keto and Paleo helped him get rid of his double chin.
    I tried explaining that a calorie deficit is what caused the double chin to disappear but he swears it was magical. Do you have any input on the double chin debacle?

You’re right a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight.

But if keto or paleo was the tool which your friend used to get to eating in a deficit and losing their double chin, why piss on their parade? Why not just be happy for them and support them?

We all know how the science works, why can’t we accept it takes different approaches to achieve it?

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    @Tennisdude2004
    My friend swears that eating keto and Paleo helped him get rid of his double chin.
    I tried explaining that a calorie deficit is what caused the double chin to disappear but he swears it was magical. Do you have any input on the double chin debacle?

But if keto or paleo was the tool which your friend used to get to eating in a deficit and losing their double chin, why piss on their parade? Why not just be happy for them and support them?

We all know how the science works, why can’t we accept it takes different approaches to achieve it?

I don't think anyone disputes that different approaches work. It more the claims of magical properties of things like keto or other dietary methods where they are the cause and not the method that gets disputed. In her friends case, the calorie deficit is the cause, keto is the method.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    @Tennisdude2004

I don't think anyone disputes that different approaches work. It more the claims of magical properties of things like keto or other dietary methods where they are the cause and not the method that gets disputed. In her friends case, the calorie deficit is the cause, keto is the method.

I don’t dispute that keto or LCHF or logging calories and eating in moderation are the methods.

But new people come on here for help and assistance in there chosen method and have the normal squad of people criticising and scuppering their best efforts.

I would like to see the study that shows eating in moderation is a more optimal diet than LCHF or Keto?

Maybe if more people tried to support peoples chooses the ones that struggle would have greater success IMHO!

• mmapags
    Options
    @Tennisdude2004

I don’t dispute that keto or LCHF or logging calories and eating in moderation are the methods.

But new people come on here for help and assistance in there chosen method and have the normal squad of people criticising and scuppering their best efforts.

I would like to see the study that shows eating in moderation is a more optimal diet than LCHF or Keto?

Maybe if more people tried to support peoples chooses the ones that struggle would have greater success IMHO!

Ah, I see. So, you are the white knight for all those poor people who get criticized. It must be a heavy burden.

I don't see people criticizing. I see people correcting misinformation. It just seems that some are thin skinned. If you are truly interested in searching studies that compare moderation to LCHF or Keto, try searching here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

I'll give you a hint, there is no study or meta-analysis that show any advantage to LCHF or keto to any other method of diet for fat loss when calories and protein are held constant. It is truly all about preference, sustainability and compliance.

Recent studies do seem to indicate that LC and/or keto have some appetite surpression benefits. But if think you can find something that says differently, feel free to search.
  • mmapags
    edited May 2018
    Options
    MMapags - not white knighting, just being a decent person.

You claim that people are not critizing, clearly you haven't followed the thread.

As I said I would like to see a study that provides proof that LCHF is not as optimal as eating a SAD in moderation. Plenty of studies showing the benefits of High Fat over Low fat, with moderate protein.

I'm interested in what misinformation the OP has posted on this thread? I must say I would never be as arrogant or as ignorant to jump onto a thread promoting moderation and be butt hurt enough to 'preach' LCHF onto the OP, but then I doubt many other decent people would either. Takes a certain sort to do that I suppose, the MFP faithful.

When you and I read this thread, we see very different things. I see people stating facts and correcting misinformation and you see people who need defending.

You seem to filter everything through your own editorial system of biases and identify yourself and anyone like you as "decent" and others as not. Who appointed you the arbiter of decency based on your own criteria?

And who argued either S.A.D. or Low Fat so far in this thread. I don't see a single post advocating that. And I never said the OP posted misinformation.

If some of the misinformation in this thread is not clear to you and after rereading that is still the case, I can't help you.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    @Tennisdude2004

I think this depends on whether people are interested in short term or long term success. I've always been a huge proponent of the long game myself. I want to see people (including myself) get healthy and stay that way. The best way to achieve that goal is the really understand what's causing the short term success. That way when things change, as they inevitably will, one is better equipped to make adjustments as needed to maintain success. I wish there was more emphasis placed on this than "I want to lose X lbs by Y date", but I know that's not very sexy and there's not much there to sell.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ive tried keto in the past. my weight loss was not any faster doing keto compared to not doing it. when I did keto it made me very lethargic,I couldnt think straight,was constipated,had muscle pain and I was always hungry and many other things,the longer I did it the worse I felt and the worse my health was declining. I was seriously thinking about going to the ER.

No,I did not have the keto flu as I know how you have to keep sodium,potassium and magnesium up while doing keto(I did research). I stopped doing it and within days started feeling better. I found out I had whats called familial hypercholesterolemia,my body cannot digest fats and cholesterol properly. so it gets stored in my arteries and other places in the forms of fat pads,xanthomas and xanthelasmas.

I do IF 16:8 most days and always have most of my life. even with IF the weight loss wasnt any faster then than it is now. So now I have to do a low fat,low cholesterol,high fiber diet. some days my carbs are over 200g a day. weight loss is still the same. Im not storing fat in fact Im losing it. my fat pads went down a lot,my xanthomas/xanthelasmas are almost non existent.

so if carbs causes an insulin reponse and to signal the body to store fat then I would not have lost fat and weight. I lost weight due to being in a deficit both times. so for me low fat works better for me with a deficit of calories. If keto works for someone thats great and yes it has been shown to improve certain health markers and yes it can help those who are diabetic,insulin resistant,have PCOS or those whith epilepsy. But when it comes to type 2 diabetes many people reversed it just by losing weight, of course that wont be the case for everyone and diabetes can also be genetic so sometimes no matter how you do things you may not reverse it.

some diabetics here do a higher carb diet as well. not everyone who has type 2 does keto. but thats their choice if they do. it still boils down to a calorie deficit to lose weight no matter how you eat. if you could eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight that would be great. but sadly it doesnt work that way.