WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Sunkist- that is so true if you are not ready for a lot of grease it can have some bad effects on your body! Congrats on your cross country skiing!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Janetr - do you mean Fabergé eggs? I presume you do. <3:) Yours is gorgeous. Does it come apart?

KJ - Thanks for the book suggestion. I've just finished my 6th running book. :o I'll look up the titles for you.

Tired now. Bed beckons.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did about an hour on the elliptical then took the Power Hour class. I'm thinking that I may do some HIIT tomorrow since we'll be meeting my girlfriend and her hubby for lunch so maybe I should burn some extra calories.

Met my cousin for lunch today. Just had the grilled chicken breast kids portion, some green beans and some brussel sprouts. Only water to drink. I think I'm being pretty good about my eating right now. We're supposed to meet friends of ours Friday night for dinner at Dixie Crossroads (seafood)

Lisa - so glad to hear that your daughter is going ahead while you are still there. That's very smart of her

In exercise class today one lady was wearing a shirt that said "death by squats". I thought that was a cute one. Then went to Publix to get some vegetables for Vince. Just got canned corn. This way if he doesn't finish a can, we can leave it down here for the next time we come. Also got some fruit for me and more tuna in pouches. Hey, they were $1.01 but you got $1 off three. So I used 3 coupons and got 9 pouches.

Oh, I think I forgot to tell you about our "key adventure" at Daytona. Anyway, Vince decided that I'd take the key and he'd take the key fob. This way if he got back from the race before me, at least he can sit in the car. Why he didn't want to sit in the mall is beyond me. Anway, I put the key in my pocketbook and put the pocketbook down in the trunk while I put on the scanner. Vince closed the trunk. Well, I have the remote trunk opening in the car disabled. So we had no idea how to get in the trunk. We were going to have to have someone from the racetrack pick the lock to the tune of $55 cash. Well....Vince called the Mazda dealer. At first the guy said "gee, that's the only way to get in the trunk. Hey, wait, do your back seats fold down?" Vince checked and, sure enough they do. "well, that's how you can get in the trunk". We never thought of that. So he got the key, but I did wait around and told the guy who was going to open the trunk that he didn't need to. I was thinking that he might charge us for coming out, but he didn't.

Very windy here, just know that it'll be too windy at the pool. Vince is working on the dishwasher right now.

Laura - I don't think I welcomed you

Becca - I've never worn Crocks and that's another good reason not to wear them.

I should have asked for the brussel sprouts and green beans not to have the garlic on them. I thought it would just be garlic but it also had some oil on them. Well...too late.

Terry - only the best for your daughter. Update: So glad to hear that she's going to be doing better.

sunkist - I agree, I need a little fat, but that much my stomach would be in pain with.

Well, I need to share this. Vince thinks I'm obsessing about it. Years ago Newcomers had an annual gala. What happened is that attendance started slacking off and attendance at the Holiday party increased so we voted to just increase the budget for the holiday party and do away with the gala. Well, some ladies decided they wanted to have a gala. The gal who is the president doesn't want to discourage someone from holding an event so she gave them the green light to go ahead with it. Well, they gave us their quote. It came in at $15,000. They want to have nametags (what's wrong with the ones that we have now?), purchase (to the tune of $300) centerpieces (do people REALLY come for centerpieces? I was on two gala committees and no one cared about centerpieces. One time we didn't buy them and no one missed them. One time we bought them and we wound up taking them home), they have a "contingency" of over $300 (we NEVER had one), they want to make up programs telling you what's on the menu (what's wrong with sending out via email this information -- $0 cost), giving the bartenders a $100 tip (if they work 3 hours, and get tips plus what the country club pays them -- can you imagine how much they'd make per hour?). We're going to have a magician and I'll present my budget at the next board meeting. I'm going to use their proposed budget and my figures alongside theirs. I'm also thinking that I'll mention why I'm not including certain fees.

I have no desire to go to this hoity-toity affair.

They're going to have the holiday party at the airport. I remember a few years ago we had it there and there were so many people. We got close to the occupancy. Now we have more members which means we'll have to turn away more people. Why this can't be a holiday gala is beyond me. The room where they're going to have it holds 180 people. The airport holds maybe 90.

the March board meeting is a combination of the old board and the new board. I jokingly said "we can have it at my house" and they took me serious. Right now I'm thinking of what I need. I'm going to plan on 16 people attending. That's probably the max. Anyway, I have two 6' banquet tables that I'm thinking I can put together so that'll seat 14. We have another table downstairs the extra people can sit at. I have a 40-cup coffee pot so I'll probably make only 20 cups. I'll buy some unsweetened iced tea. One lady said everyone on the board can make something so I'm going to see if this one gal has an 8' banquet table. If she does, I'm sure she'll let me borrow it. I'll put milk in a pitcher and put that on ice. I know Newcomers has spoons, napkins, plates, cups, sugar/sugar substitute. Am I forgetting anything? There are outlets downstairs if we need them.

Michele now in FL who may do some x-stitch now
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    KJ - I think you might like Beyond Impossible by Mimi Anderson. :o:#;):* I think she's nuts, but it's a good read. Rather her than me!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,939 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Gorgeously hot summer day!! It was up to 37C on the trail, but a bit lower than that in the shade. And now we're relaxing in air con.

We'll walk into town in a little while for dinner.

Speaking of dinner, and with the comments about Mexican food earlier in this thread ...

What are your top 3 favourite cuisines?

Me ... generally speaking, and recognising that there are regional differences ... :)

Mexican
    Indian
    Italian

Machka in Oz
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Top 3 faves:
    Italian
    Pub grub (hot wings/boneless skinless buffalo tenders)
    Mexican

Alas, not much Italian, except for pizza, and no Indian here. Haven't found good "wings" yet but the Thai restaurant has a great chicken sate.

We have restaurants with a variety of pasta dishes. Unfortunately, they do seem to like to put mushrooms or seafood into a lot of it. So although I love pasta, there's usually only a couple choices on the menu that I'll eat.

BTW - we found a Thai place that's pretty good, but I think in 4th spot would be "English" ... good ol' fish and chips. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,939 Member
    Options
    Okay, you are going to think I am weird, but favorite cuisines:

Vietnamese
    Greek
    Ethiopian

Japanese is a close 4th.

I do like Greek as an occasional change. :)
  • churchgran
    churchgran Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hello all! Happy February! Happy Thursday! I got all excited when I hopped on mfp and saw only 16 posts! lol then I remembered it was a new month and found Barbie's link to follow you all! Thanks Barbie!

Welcome new ladies! We are a chatty group; but the chatter keeps us sane. Think of it as friends meeting over a cup of coffee a few times a day! If the many posts seem overwhelming, feel free to skim. I think most of us do, at times.

Pip- L <3 VE the profile pic of you and Kirby! You know we love anything you post that has a pic of your adorable hubby!
    Wendy-So glad the surgery went well for your daughter! Yes, please let her know that she is still in our thoughts and we are sending love. lol I have an image in my brain of the SUPER supermoon being so big that it took out some trees and squashed the dog house!

Well, I am back to wearing the knee brace. Had a couple of knee straining incidents the other day with the kids, and pulled that knee muscle/ligament a bit. Knee swollen and sore today. :( So frustrating. So...my walking is taking a back seat, again, for a while. Back to RICE, (as much as possible with kids in the house). I will have to focus on making healthy food choices/aka sticking to my meal plan. I am pretty sure I will lose, if I do so, even without the exercise; it is just going to be at a slower rate for a while. But loss is loss, right?

January was my "get real" month as I finally weighed myself (found myself 10 lbs heavier than my last weigh in, pre-injury in November), got results back from my blood work (cholesterol and thyroid on the high level), and realized that I need to get my weight under control before I am in serious trouble. End of January brought my high protein, low carb meal plan back to the forefront and a three pound loss within two weeks of beginning. I will take that.

Goals for February: keep on with the food plan, keep on with becoming "less" in body- "more" in spirit! I can do this! I think I will begin a "leg free" strength training plan. Swimming is out again, but maybe the therapy pool? It is a warm pool (ick) but only about four feet deep, so I could do some cardio and movement...

Ah well, on we go! Kiddos arriving! One more day this week. My great nephew and niece are here. I love them, but it is quite obvious that they spend a LOT of time with mommy. Not socialized well aka a little on the spoiled side. I am glad they are only with me two more days! REally makes me appreciate those kiddos that are with me daily and have been given equal amounts of love and discipline. Whew! Exhausted this week!

Question for all- Menopause! For those of you that have been through it. Does your body still react emotionally, physically the way it did at the "time of the month"? I know you don't bleed monthly anymore; just wondering if you still go through the emotional swing when that "time" gets closer?

that's all for now! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• churchgran
    churchgran Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Menopause question-- yes for several years I did get cranky and craved my chocolate and sweets but 5 years past and I had energy and felt so good.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Mary I would love to see you!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Janet R - Simply gorgeous! You need to sell them as "Fauxberge" Eggs. :) Love it!

Lisa in NC

That's a TERRIFIC idea :) and thank you so much.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Janetr- beautiful egg! Love Lisa's idea.

Margaret - fantastic! We will have to make plans when I get back!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,884 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Katla, I don't actually own a cookie jar, and I try to buy cookies that I'm not that fond of, but sometimes I will eat stuff like that just because it's here. This is why brushing my teeth after dinner is a good idea! I did well yesterday and today is also looking good. Tomorrow is weigh in, hopefully the news won't be too bad.....
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.55min, 144mhr, 11.3amph. 1.4mi= 99c
    apple watch- 78c
    SPIN *new bike*- 48min, 84ar, 77aw, 129ahr, 152mhr, 11mi = 408c
    apple watch- 389c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.22min, 13.9amph, 131mhr, 1.5mi= 66c
    apple watch- 51c
    RIDE BIKE PUY 2 SUMN STA- 16.33min, 151mhr, 11amph, 3mi= 165c