WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of a kettle bell till you all talk of it. I googled it, but I would still be afraid even with no weight in it. My arthritis is so bad in my hands, elbows, wrists and shoulders. Ive had both knees replaced, a hip that needs to be, and back surgery still pending.
    If I could give the best advice, it would be not to wait till you are old to make healthy changes. Disease and pain stopped me for too many years. Now I can only do so much. For now, I walk and bend as much as I can without taking medications. Loosing weight has helped, but I've still a ways to go so I can have a better life.
    ... To our journey...
    ~Laura getting back to a tea party with a princess~

Laura - sounds like a great day with your princess! She's lucky to have you <3 . Kudos on the weight loss!!

Are you able to do any LIGHT weight lifting - dumb bells or light ankle weights? If not a doctor or physical therapist might be able to help you. Several of us on this list started very light and slow with joint injuries - some joints have gotten better, some are limiting as to the amount of weight but it's a start.

I started light ankle weights after a round of very painful knee bursitis - and it hasn't bothered me since. Have "tricky" shoulders so keep some weights at 5 lbs per the physical therapist and just add another set.

Good luck and enjoy your day.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Sunkist796
    Sunkist796 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread and love it! I can check in more later but for now, I am somewhat new to being in community so how do I do a post without clicking on quote (and deleting the quote)?

Christine......just scroll to the bottom of the page....you can comment there. By pressing on the individual entries (flag, quote...)that is for JUST THAT ENTRY.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Lanette- fantastic advice. You are very inspirational!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

I hate to tell you but if you were to eat everything but the hashbrowns you would be eating a keto diet and you would lose an awful lot of fat especially belly fat. You just named one of my favorite meals! Most people are under the misconception that fat is not good for you. However it has been proven that it is essential for brain health and lubricates joints and blood vessels! And it tastes great specially butter! Another thing, excess fat does not turn into fat like excess carbs do.

Mary from Arizona

Yup! I'm with Mary. My meals are FULL of fat. They taste lovely and I've dropped more inches using fat as fuel than carbs ever did. I ran my marathon fueled on fat (could add in more carbs because of the extra exercise and not get out of ketosis) Plus I don't get the munchies. Fat fills you up. Keto has been the best thing I've found. My husband does it also and his blood work has come back fantastic after being on keto. Can't tell if mine has changed because I've never had my cholesterol or anything checked. Ignorance is bliss in my book (no history of any heart disease in family plus no indications).

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any information or experience with St. Johns Wort being used along with Holy Basil?
    Is Holy Basil better for treating anxiety than St. Johns Wort?
    Can they be used together?

It is for a family member who stuggles with both depression and anxiety attacks. They refuse to take any medicines but will consider herbal. They've been taking St. Johns Wort and do notice a difference with mood and depression being lessened but it hasn't helped with the anxiety which can become debilitating at times. Holy Basil (sometimes called Tulsi) is supposed to be good for anxiety.

I've looked on the internet and not really found clear answers.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Laura- I have similar issues to you with my back neck and joints. I believe that the kettle bell swing would be beneficial to your joints and with the weight it will help increase bone density. Even with your knee replacements I know that you need to exercise them and this is actually a very slow purposeful movement that would possibly benefit your whole body. You could start out with a lightweight dumbbell and perform the goblet squats and the Russian kettle bell swing with perfect form to see how it affects your body. Like any new exercise you start at first you may have muscle repair that you will feel, if you have pain in the joints adjust your stance. sometimes I may experience pain in my knee or my hip and I just have to adjust my feet. Maybe they are pointing out too far even just one of them and I just move the direction of my toe and that will usually always get rid of any pain for me. You can even just go through the motions with out any weight at first. This is a link to my success story that has videos on correct form and information on the program that I follow.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10449355/update-stronglifts-and-kettlebell-transformation-pictures#latest

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Terry in VT,
    OK I'm confused!!! Haha! Clothing for nudists? Is that a mental thing? Heehee. I am always nude under my clothes.

The rules were so misleading regarding coverage at our old resort. It was a clothing optional resort, so while walking or running around, you could wear clothes. In the pool area it was strictly nude. No suits to accentuate your figure. When I played tennis with my boys, I was nude, but saw many ladies wearing sports bras. My sons were such silly guys, they would change the tennis rules. So after they hit the ball their rule was to sit down. Then the other person would stand up, race to hit it, and that's how they played! It was a riot to watch!! At the evening dances, the deal was to put on more clothes! Most wore, sexy wear items. Think of a bad Hugh Hefner party... My youngest called what I wore, invisible clothing, because it was lacy teddies most of the time. Crazy utopia!

This morning school was cancelled, but by 8am the roads seemed clear. We delayed a bit, going to the laundromat. Stopped by the grocery store and walked every isle, getting some exercise, and buying some items. I bought two huge tomatoes, and an avocado. Yummy sandwiches are in my future. Also bought an Asian salad kit. I will spread that out to two meals.

Husband just sashayed thru, singing old tunes with dirty lyrics...shakes my head. He is a crazy guy, but life is never boring! He is going to be an old man I will have to say shuuuush to a lot, I think.

Becca
    Oregon
  • Sunkist796
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Does anyone have any information or experience with St. Johns Wort being used along with Holy Basil?
    Is Holy Basil better for treating anxiety than St. Johns Wort?
    Can they be used together?

It is for a family member who stuggles with both depression and anxiety attacks. They refuse to take any medicines but will consider herbal. They've been taking St. Johns Wort and do notice a difference with mood and depression being lessened but it hasn't helped with the anxiety which can become debilitating at times. Holy Basil (sometimes called Tulsi) is supposed to be good for anxiety.

I've looked on the internet and not really found clear answers.

Marcekynh there are a number of essential oils that can be used for depression and anxiety. The first step is aroma...what scent/smell brings a calmness, balance to your loved one. j4wj722tvymu.jpg
    then it is a matter of finding what works....diffusing and applying the right oil can help. My hubby suffers from PTSD and Anxiety (his go-to oils are Peppermint, Cedarwood, White Fir and Arborvitae), he usually has his bottle with him and at the very onset, he opens, inhales and thinks of a safe place to be (for him it is usually in the back woods)
  • Sunkist796
    Options
    3xf35a4dtd0r.jpg
    jfer0cnltmym.jpg
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi Rita,

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I’m from NJ.

Crazy weather here. Beautiful 70s today yet Saturday had huge snowstorm. Tomorrow back to cold. Took advantage and walked at park track, logging 2 mikes - yay!

Hugs,

Jean
  • beckyobryan153
    beckyobryan153 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Had a lot of running around to do today. I did manage to get a 40 minute walk in, tho.
    Terry- Your daughter has the same thing I had last week. Several people have been complaining of the exact same thing. It's a stomach virus of some sort. Hope she feels better, soon.
    Janetr- Nice job on the egg. It's such a nice day, today that I have my windows open. Have a great day everybody.
    Becky
  • beckyobryan153
    beckyobryan153 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Allie- Do you live in CT? If so, where? I live in Meriden.