13»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've tried it. For reasons having nothing to do with weight loss, I drank ACV for weeks at a time during weight loss; and for other weeks at a time during weight loss, I didn't drink ACV. There was zero, zip, nada difference in weight loss rate when drinking it vs. not drinking it . . . and as a notorious data geek, I'm a meticulous logger.

OK gramma :trollface:@AnnPT77 :smirk:
    You're usually a level headed person, seldom taken by woo, or super woo!
    So why were you desperately trying to pickle yourself:grey_question:

OK, but it's gonna be my usual essay-length ramble. ;)

First, let me say this: I believe in doing n=1 experiments, if I'm pretty sure they won't hurt me. I'm also very, very skeptical about the results of n=1 experiments, because I understand that the human brain sees causation in every correlation, and that the placebo effect is stronger and operates differently than a lot of people think.

So, the ACV drinking specifically.

I would be much less likely to do it if I didn't actively enjoy vinegar. (I have at least a half dozen types of vinegar in the pantry at all times for cooking & eating - not different flavor-infused ones, but actual types: ACV, rice wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, regular and white balsamic vinegar, red and white wine vinegar, malt vinegar, beer vinegar, etc. One of my favorite alcoholic mixed drinks is made with "drinking vinegar" a.k.a. "shrub".) If I hated vinegar, and had to gag it down, as we see many here report, I for sure wouldn't drink it. Life is too short for yucky.

I had two reasons for the experiment.

First, I read someplace that drinking vinegar (any type) could be helpful to aging people who sometimes begin to have sub-optimal stomach acid production. While I don't know if I have that, I have had bouts of (medically diagnosed) IBS-C, to the point of having taken Rx meds for it in the distant past. So, I was curious whether regularly drinking vinegar would change anything. Results: Inconclusive.

Second, I have the vague notion, based on early returns from still very young, preliminary and so far non-definitive scientific research on the subject, that a diverse and happy gut microbiome (friendly bugs only, of course) is going to turn out to be a really good thing for people. I prefer to get dietary stuff when possible from foods humans have eaten for centuries or millennia, rather than from extracted/compounded supplements. Therefore, I make it a point to regularly eat a diverse range of traditional probiotic and prebiotic foods. Common probiotic foods include raw sauerkraut, yogurt, raw fermented pickles, miso, kefir, raw kim chi, and . . . raw vinegar (with the mother ;) ). ACV is the most widely available raw vinegar.

Results: Completely un-evaluatable, but I never expected to be able to evaluate them.

I started experimenting with ACV before starting weight loss. Part way through weight loss, my gallbladder gave me severe heartburn. It was gallbladder adenomyomatosis, not stones or sludge, and not caused by weight loss (arguably, it was caused by obesity). The ACV seemed to make the heartburn worse, so I stopped drinking it until after the gallbladder came out. These circumstances created the "drinking ACV for weeks/not drinking ACV for weeks" situation.

None of it had anything to do with weight loss, and it had no observable effect on weight loss, appetite, satiation or anything related.

Is it woo? Possibly. Will it hurt me? Probably not (the tooth enamel thing is silly if you don't bathe your teeth in it, and we eat many other acidic foods anyway). Have I ever urged it on anyone else? Absolutely not, except for recipes and the alcoholic mixed drink thing, because that's delicious.

FWIW, I'm currently not drinking ACV, but I may decide to again sometime, for the second reason above.

That's it. ;)

Thanks, That reminds me I need to pick up Yoghurt again now that I'm about done with my most recent downward trend.

Currently doing Kombucha daily, and it's just a little too much of a pain to fit yoghurt into my daily calories when I'm grinding down.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I like malt and balsamic myself. And use it... on fish and chips and salads respectively, though I've also used balsamic (glaze) on... ICE CREAM!!!

Having said that... alcoholic drink?!?!?!?!?

Vodka and ACV - maybe we could start a new diet woo craze!

Start here:

https://www.mcclarybros.com/

https://www.mcclarybros.com/blogs/recipes -- craft cocktail recipes using vinegar

And I would 100% try them if I still drank alcohol.

That's the stuff: It's delicious! (Also relatively low cal - around 30 per serving IIRC - for lots of tasty flavor. Keep in mind that I did say I love vinegar in general. But I think some who are "meh" about vinegar might like it, as it has other flavors in the mix, with the ACV giving it a fruity/acidic zing . . . kind of like a citrus wedge or twist does in other beverages, even though most people wouldn't just eat a lemon or lime (at least absent a tequila shot ;) ).)

@lemurcat12, think it would be plenty tasty/refreshing in plain sparkling water, maybe even still water. Alcohol is optional. Our ancestors used "shrub" (basically what this is) as a drink concentrate, made with fruits and possibly spices if available. Added to water, it made a refreshing summer beverage. I first encountered shrub around 40 years ago, when a reenactor type friend made it - huckleberry, I think it was.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I've tried it. For reasons having nothing to do with weight loss, I drank ACV for weeks at a time during weight loss; and for other weeks at a time during weight loss, I didn't drink ACV. There was zero, zip, nada difference in weight loss rate when drinking it vs. not drinking it . . . and as a notorious data geek, I'm a meticulous logger.

OK gramma :trollface:@AnnPT77 :smirk:
    You're usually a level headed person, seldom taken by woo, or super woo!
    So why were you desperately trying to pickle yourself:grey_question:

OK, but it's gonna be my usual essay-length ramble. ;)

First, let me say this: I believe in doing n=1 experiments, if I'm pretty sure they won't hurt me. I'm also very, very skeptical about the results of n=1 experiments, because I understand that the human brain sees causation in every correlation, and that the placebo effect is stronger and operates differently than a lot of people think.

So, the ACV drinking specifically.

I would be much less likely to do it if I didn't actively enjoy vinegar. (I have at least a half dozen types of vinegar in the pantry at all times for cooking & eating - not different flavor-infused ones, but actual types: ACV, rice wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, regular and white balsamic vinegar, red and white wine vinegar, malt vinegar, beer vinegar, etc. One of my favorite alcoholic mixed drinks is made with "drinking vinegar" a.k.a. "shrub".) If I hated vinegar, and had to gag it down, as we see many here report, I for sure wouldn't drink it. Life is too short for yucky.

I had two reasons for the experiment.

First, I read someplace that drinking vinegar (any type) could be helpful to aging people who sometimes begin to have sub-optimal stomach acid production. While I don't know if I have that, I have had bouts of (medically diagnosed) IBS-C, to the point of having taken Rx meds for it in the distant past. So, I was curious whether regularly drinking vinegar would change anything. Results: Inconclusive.

Second, I have the vague notion, based on early returns from still very young, preliminary and so far non-definitive scientific research on the subject, that a diverse and happy gut microbiome (friendly bugs only, of course) is going to turn out to be a really good thing for people. I prefer to get dietary stuff when possible from foods humans have eaten for centuries or millennia, rather than from extracted/compounded supplements. Therefore, I make it a point to regularly eat a diverse range of traditional probiotic and prebiotic foods. Common probiotic foods include raw sauerkraut, yogurt, raw fermented pickles, miso, kefir, raw kim chi, and . . . raw vinegar (with the mother ;) ). ACV is the most widely available raw vinegar.

Results: Completely un-evaluatable, but I never expected to be able to evaluate them.

I started experimenting with ACV before starting weight loss. Part way through weight loss, my gallbladder gave me severe heartburn. It was gallbladder adenomyomatosis, not stones or sludge, and not caused by weight loss (arguably, it was caused by obesity). The ACV seemed to make the heartburn worse, so I stopped drinking it until after the gallbladder came out. These circumstances created the "drinking ACV for weeks/not drinking ACV for weeks" situation.

None of it had anything to do with weight loss, and it had no observable effect on weight loss, appetite, satiation or anything related.

Is it woo? Possibly. Will it hurt me? Probably not (the tooth enamel thing is silly if you don't bathe your teeth in it, and we eat many other acidic foods anyway). Have I ever urged it on anyone else? Absolutely not, except for recipes and the alcoholic mixed drink thing, because that's delicious.

FWIW, I'm currently not drinking ACV, but I may decide to again sometime, for the second reason above.

That's it. ;)

I like malt and balsamic myself. And use it... on fish and chips and salads respectively, though I've also used balsamic (glaze) on... ICE CREAM!!!

Balsamic on strawberries is good.

Yes, and:

At rowing camp (yup, that's a thing), I had a wonderful salad whose key ingredients were watermelon chunks, thinly sliced onions, crumbled feta cheese and balsamic vinegar. So good!

I've made it on a "wing it" basis since, but I'm sure there recipes out there. Highly recommended!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This is our local store (expanding nationwide) that offers the most amazing balsamic vinegar flavors. Chocolate espresso on strawberries is my favorite.
    https://www.olivelle.com/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Vodka and ACV - maybe we could start a new diet woo craze!

Start here:

https://www.mcclarybros.com/

https://www.mcclarybros.com/blogs/recipes -- craft cocktail recipes using vinegar

And I would 100% try them if I still drank alcohol.

That's the stuff: It's delicious! (Also relatively low cal - around 30 per serving IIRC - for lots of tasty flavor. Keep in mind that I did say I love vinegar in general. But I think some who are "meh" about vinegar might like it, as it has other flavors in the mix, with the ACV giving it a fruity/acidic zing . . . kind of like a citrus wedge or twist does in other beverages, even though most people wouldn't just eat a lemon or lime (at least absent a tequila shot ;) ).)

@lemurcat12, think it would be plenty tasty/refreshing in plain sparkling water, maybe even still water. Alcohol is optional. Our ancestors used "shrub" (basically what this is) as a drink concentrate, made with fruits and possibly spices if available. Added to water, it made a refreshing summer beverage. I first encountered shrub around 40 years ago, when a reenactor type friend made it - huckleberry, I think it was.

Yeah, I've thought about trying it without alcohol (virgin vinegar drinks, heh). I saw something similar at WF, but I think the calories were higher. Like you, I really love vinegars, so could be my kind of thing, and I like some kind of special drink to sip in the evenings (I make different iced teas and this seems even better).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I went on a very enthusiastic shrub experiment 2 summers ago. Every fruit we used, I made shrubs in varying proportions with parts that get composted. I had > a dozen in the fridge. Looked like a laboratory in there. I heard that when shrubs originated, they were used to make lemonade-like non-alcoholic drinks in winter months when lemons and fruits were harder to come by.

Conclusion: I didn't like any of them. Alcoholic or no. And I really tried. It's just one of those things where I love the idea but not the actual thing. Like mint juleps... the crushed ice, the condensation on the sterling silver cup, the fresh sprigs of mint... I just can't choke down the bourbon.
  • jbrown2339
    jbrown2339 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just to confirm, ACV = apple cider vinegar?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    This is our local store (expanding nationwide) that offers the most amazing balsamic vinegar flavors. Chocolate espresso on strawberries is my favorite.
    https://www.olivelle.com/

Damn you! I just had to click - now I'm going to be obsessed with this until I get a bottle and check it out!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Well I was going to throw this in earlier, but now we are mixing drinks, well.....
    my mum drinks ACV in the winter mixed with honey, hot water and whisky.

She thinks it is good for her; I'm not going to argue, she just turned 91 and is still fully independent.

Keep drinking it @AnnPT77.
    (I was going to be mortified if malt vinegar wasn't in your stash :) )

Cheers, h.

I know the malt vinegar is something a lot of people use on fried foods (french fries/chips especially). While I have no dispute with that, it's absolutely indispensable to me for summer vinegar-dressed bean salads of many sorts.

Something about the flavor is perfect with beans. (Example: Small red beans, thin-sliced onions, diced or matchstick bell peppers, malt vinegar, salt, lots of fresh-ground black pepper, sliced-up smoked string cheese or diced smoked provolone, optional olive oil. The cheese goes in just before serving, unless you like it vinegar-softened.)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss, OP! You've done a great job making sensible, sustainable adjustments to your diet and exercise, and you're reaping the benefits. Keep it up!

It's not the vinegar.

I really am lost in admiration for whichever genius at Aspall's is running this ACV publicity machine. It's doing wonders for what used to be a reasonably popular but fairly mundane vinegar variety, always in the shadow of balsamic, red wine and rice wine.

Even if drinking vinegar has benefits, which I doubt, it's even more doubtful that the specific type of vinegar matters. Unless apples are magic.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss, OP! You've done a great job making sensible, sustainable adjustments to your diet and exercise, and you're reaping the benefits. Keep it up!

It's not the vinegar.

I really am lost in admiration for whichever genius at Aspall's is running this ACV publicity machine. It's doing wonders for what used to be a reasonably popular but fairly mundane vinegar variety, always in the shadow of balsamic, red wine and rice wine.

Even if drinking vinegar has benefits, which I doubt, it's even more doubtful that the specific type of vinegar matters. Unless apples are magic.

latest?cb=20110803202453

• phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We love vinegar in our house too! We clean with it, use it to remove odors, put a splash in apple juice to add some tartness, put it on salads with olive oil...about everything you can think of! I even keep some mixed with water in a spray bottle and lightly spray my dog with it in the summer- I might be crazy but it gets rid of that summer "dog" smell! It really is the ultimate multi-tasker!