Options
1235»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Don’t tell me that I don’t want it hard ... I can’t help but ‘binge eat’ and what I really need to do is find out why I do that! No it’s not stress, no it’s not emotional, no it’s not restrictive diets. I’m addicted to food .... So someone now help me??

If it feels like an addiction, you have a relationship problem with food whether or not it's related to emotional eating or stress or whatever. To help change that relationship so you can lose and keep off the weight, see:

http://diet.beckinstitute.org
    https://beckdietsolution.wordpress.com

Dr. Judith Beck is the daughter of Dr. Aaron Beck, who developed the cognitive-behavioral approach to altering behavior. The Beck Diet Solution book is available on Amazon (both paper and Kindle formats) as well as many other book vendors.

Another approach that some find helpful is intuitive eating:

http://www.intuitiveeating.org

The principles of mindful eating are well worth looking at for ideas, too:

https://www.thecenterformindfuleating.org

I ended up taking useful concepts and approaches from all these sources: take what seems relevant and useful to you, leave the rest. Regarding fluctuations -- see cwolfman13's graph above.

@sammyj19902015 I used cognitive-behavioral techniques like those discussed in "The Beck Diet Solution" book to overcome a drinking problem. They also work with food.

Because of food cravings and uncontrolled eating, I used to think there was something wrong with me, but with CBT techniques, better stress management (regular exercise), more protein, and less products made from wheat flour, I'm fine.

I know that wheat flour makes me sleepy, so when I eat it during the day anyway and get sleepy, it's my own fault. Sometimes the tradeoff is acceptable to me. Your problem with wheat sounds more serious than mine, so perhaps you should just not eat it. Or if you do, accept that you're going to feel bad.

I'm allergic to dust, and I know that I'm going to feel bad after going through boxes of old papers, so I plan for this.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Because there are so many f**king know it alls I actually don’t know who to believe!! I’ve dieted or ‘healthy eaten’ since I was 16 I’m now 28 and I’m still struggling with my weight. I’ve done Cambridge diet, weightwatchers, slimming world, low carb, calorie counting and tried to healthy eat on my own so come on tell me what actually works?? I don’t weigh myself straight after I’ve eaten I’m not that thick?! But when I went slimming world I had pasta for my lunch and weighed in at 5lb heavier so stop telling me things I already know, I’m trying to find what suits me and atm most of you are telling what I already know. Don’t tell me that I don’t want it hard enough because trust me in my heart of hearts I know I do but I can’t help but ‘binge eat’ and what I really need to do is find out why I do that! No it’s not stress, no it’s not emotional, no it’s not restrictive diets. I’m addicted to food, I have the same feeling over food when I want it as I do with a cigarette and until I have it it won’t subside. So someone now help me??

First bold: maybe it's time to stop dieting, and just start eating normal foods. Yo-yo diets - long term - have proven to actually cause more weight gain than they ever take off. Eating things in moderation, whole, natural foods is good for your body. Unless there's a medical reason to not eat specific things, but I'm not a doctor so I won't get into that. All things being even, moderation and regular eating is a fantastic way to go.

Second bold: Binge eating - if you actually have it - is a mental disorder. If what you described in your OP is what you're calling a "binge" then this isn't one. I am a binge eater and have eaten upwards of 5,000 calories in one sitting on top of what I already ate during the day. It totaled almost 7,000 calories for the day. Eating disorders often mask other problems, emotional problems and maybe mood stability. For me, I am a perfectionist and I deal with deep seeded feelings of inadequacy . . . like I won't be good enough for anyone, ever. I've been in counselling for almost 2 years. So what you need to do is get help. If you're genuinely suffering from an ED you need to seek a professional. This has nothing to do with carbs, eating them or not. Binge eating is a mental disorder, it's often deep seeded in something else - usually emotional issues - and you need to get help. If you are just saying you're a "binge eater" then you need to stop . . . breathe and walk away for a minute. EDs are tough, they are hard to get through and you can't do it by yourself. Just saying you're bingeing isn't fair to those are genuinely going through this and it may sound insensitive but after dealing with this for years - with professional help - it bothers me a whole lot when people throw the term around loosely.

So you need to do one of two things: have the willpower to stop eating, or seek professional counselling to deal with the ED.

ETA: I read through the rest of your posts re: gluten intolerance . .. so you don't over eat on anything other than pasta? Claiming you're a binge eater is a serious thing, there are people really dealing with it. Don't use these terms lightly. Based on your other posts it really seems like you're just looking for attention and validation that OMG no you're fine, eat more, you need to eat more but not those evil carbs. No. Not even close.

I just wanted to say I appreciate your post and the perspective it brings to the discussion. The same thoughts occurred to me about what the OP was saying & describing, but I decided just to let it go, as everyone's advice seems to have little effect on her. From what I pieced together from her multiple threads, she can and has lost large amounts of weight on a variety of diets, and like the vast majority of people, grows weary of it, goes off the plan, and gains the weight back. That's not an eating disorder, intolerance, or special circumstance at work... that's just what happens to many people. For the benefit of lurkers that *do* want to learn, what the experienced users have been trying to say is, don't choose a fussy or complicated diet that is unrealistic for you to sustain. Eat the way you hope/plan to eat for the rest of your life, just in the proportions that will help you achieve your weight loss goals. And don't make your deficit so large (the typical 1200 calorie allowance or less) that you become thoroughly discouraged and want to throw in the towel and "want food like you want a cigarette". Make the process as easy as possible for yourself and then realize, while it doesn't require perfection, it does require commitment, and that commitment and the work doesn't end when the extra weight is gone.

Thanks for posting this! Those who are dealing with EDs have a hard time, and posts like this who have someone coming in saying "OMG I binged so hard on XXX" can make it seem like it's not a big deal. I, in no way, want to make it seem like she doesn't have a real problem, she might. But it won't be fixed by not eating carbs - the problem is mental and needs to be handled as such.

I totally get that you need to eat what is sustainable, long term, for your lifestyle. And it's completely true - fad and yo-yo diets do a lot more harm than good unless you can continue them on for the rest of your life.

Thanks for reaching out - I appreciate it :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Because there are so many f**king know it alls I actually don’t know who to believe!! I’ve dieted or ‘healthy eaten’ since I was 16 I’m now 28 and I’m still struggling with my weight. I’ve done Cambridge diet, weightwatchers, slimming world, low carb, calorie counting and tried to healthy eat on my own so come on tell me what actually works?? I don’t weigh myself straight after I’ve eaten I’m not that thick?! But when I went slimming world I had pasta for my lunch and weighed in at 5lb heavier so stop telling me things I already know, I’m trying to find what suits me and atm most of you are telling what I already know. Don’t tell me that I don’t want it hard enough because trust me in my heart of hearts I know I do but I can’t help but ‘binge eat’ and what I really need to do is find out why I do that! No it’s not stress, no it’s not emotional, no it’s not restrictive diets. I’m addicted to food, I have the same feeling over food when I want it as I do with a cigarette and until I have it it won’t subside. So someone now help me??

First bold: maybe it's time to stop dieting, and just start eating normal foods. Yo-yo diets - long term - have proven to actually cause more weight gain than they ever take off. Eating things in moderation, whole, natural foods is good for your body. Unless there's a medical reason to not eat specific things, but I'm not a doctor so I won't get into that. All things being even, moderation and regular eating is a fantastic way to go.

Second bold: Binge eating - if you actually have it - is a mental disorder. If what you described in your OP is what you're calling a "binge" then this isn't one. I am a binge eater and have eaten upwards of 5,000 calories in one sitting on top of what I already ate during the day. It totaled almost 7,000 calories for the day. Eating disorders often mask other problems, emotional problems and maybe mood stability. For me, I am a perfectionist and I deal with deep seeded feelings of inadequacy . . . like I won't be good enough for anyone, ever. I've been in counselling for almost 2 years. So what you need to do is get help. If you're genuinely suffering from an ED you need to seek a professional. This has nothing to do with carbs, eating them or not. Binge eating is a mental disorder, it's often deep seeded in something else - usually emotional issues - and you need to get help. If you are just saying you're a "binge eater" then you need to stop . . . breathe and walk away for a minute. EDs are tough, they are hard to get through and you can't do it by yourself. Just saying you're bingeing isn't fair to those are genuinely going through this and it may sound insensitive but after dealing with this for years - with professional help - it bothers me a whole lot when people throw the term around loosely.

So you need to do one of two things: have the willpower to stop eating, or seek professional counselling to deal with the ED.

ETA: I read through the rest of your posts re: gluten intolerance . .. so you don't over eat on anything other than pasta? Claiming you're a binge eater is a serious thing, there are people really dealing with it. Don't use these terms lightly. Based on your other posts it really seems like you're just looking for attention and validation that OMG no you're fine, eat more, you need to eat more but not those evil carbs. No. Not even close.

I just wanted to say I appreciate your post and the perspective it brings to the discussion. The same thoughts occurred to me about what the OP was saying & describing, but I decided just to let it go, as everyone's advice seems to have little effect on her. From what I pieced together from her multiple threads, she can and has lost large amounts of weight on a variety of diets, and like the vast majority of people, grows weary of it, goes off the plan, and gains the weight back. That's not an eating disorder, intolerance, or special circumstance at work... that's just what happens to many people. For the benefit of lurkers that *do* want to learn, what the experienced users have been trying to say is, don't choose a fussy or complicated diet that is unrealistic for you to sustain. Eat the way you hope/plan to eat for the rest of your life, just in the proportions that will help you achieve your weight loss goals. And don't make your deficit so large (the typical 1200 calorie allowance or less) that you become thoroughly discouraged and want to throw in the towel and "want food like you want a cigarette". Make the process as easy as possible for yourself and then realize, while it doesn't require perfection, it does require commitment, and that commitment and the work doesn't end when the extra weight is gone.

Thanks for posting this! Those who are dealing with EDs have a hard time, and posts like this who have someone coming in saying "OMG I binged so hard on XXX" can make it seem like it's not a big deal. I, in no way, want to make it seem like she doesn't have a real problem, she might. But it won't be fixed by not eating carbs - the problem is mental and needs to be handled as such.

I totally get that you need to eat what is sustainable, long term, for your lifestyle. And it's completely true - fad and yo-yo diets do a lot more harm than good unless you can continue them on for the rest of your life.

Thanks for reaching out - I appreciate it :)

You're welcome! :) I should say I wasn't trying to rule out the possibility that the OP does have a problem that needs addressed either. What I've seen in her posts seems more benign, but like you say, if there's more to it, she needs professional help, not a new diet.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Also they only way you gain 5lbs after eating a bowl of pasta is if that bowl of pasta weighs 5lbs. There are probably around 20 servings of pasta in 5lbs of cooked pasta and at around 200 calories a serving that would be 4000 calories. If your story is true, carbs aren't the problem...

If you drink 5lbs of water with out going to the bathroom you will gain 5lbs, do you blame water for your weight gain?

Sometimes we have to look at things logically instead of panicking and blaming everything under the sun instead of watching what we eat.

I had a packet pasta of batchelors pasta n sauce made with water only, I’m not saying it’s made me gain ‘fat’ I was just wondering why pasta could make me bloated and gain on scales (again only know what I weighed after because I went to slimming world to get my weekly weigh in done)

Have you considered wheat intollerance as a possibility?
    My intolerance transitioned into a full blown allergy and I can't have anything containing wheat now, but several years ago I would look seven months pregnanat after ingesting pasta or bread.
    Look into it. I underestimated the symptoms and the damage caused by the particular enzyme I have problems with (it's not gluten) lead to a cow's milk allergy. I can't have dairy now at all. My organism can't process it.
    I hope that's not what you are having but better to be on the safe side. You could try elimination. Whole 30 is a good way to start. Good luck!

Thank you!! Someone who I find isn’t patronising and actually read my post properly!! I have considered this as my sister is also wheat intolerant. When I eat white bread/ pasta based things my stomach literally bloats to make me look as pregnant as I was with my daughter. It also gives me bad stomach pains which I know is wind. Which is why I tried this low carb thing in the 1st place, I’ve had no bloating and no wind for the 13 days that I did it. I just wanted someone with the same experience as me to perhaps give me some ideas which you have. I’m not so thick that I think I’ve 2.5lb of fat in one day, I’m not so thick I don’t understand that if I go on a low carb diet then eat carbs I’m going to gain water of course I know that!! And I also know how to diet/healthy eat but I wanted a bit of advice on what to do because I’m struggling and I’m sorry MFP but some of the responses I’ve had on here have totally put me off using it, at the end of the day it looks like I’m NOT the thick one it’s just that you guys don’t read..... and with some of your messages I’d advise you not to come across so rude because you ‘know it alls’ actually put people off doing it... which is a shame

Honestly, it kinda sounds like you were looking for people to blame the carbs/pasta when got frustrated when that didn't happen. Not hearing what you want to hear doesn't make people patronizing, or that they didn't read your post. It may mean you're not ready or willing to listen.

A wheat intolerance will impact how you feel, not how much you weigh after one meal. It has nothing to do with a day-to-day weight gain of 2.5 pounds. Food waste, water weight, hormones all play a role. Find a diet and calorie level you can stick to and give them time to work (months, not weeks), weigh/measure your food and log and the weight will come off. In fits and starts, bits and pieces, but it will come off. Use a weight trending program, really helpful for understanding how your body fluctuates on a day-to-day basis and then you won't freak out over 2.5 pounds. That's well within the normal range.

If you don't feel well after eating the pasta, sure, ask your MD if you could have a food intolerance. And be sure to let them know you had this issue after eating pasta when coming off low carb.