Suits

Options

Replies

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Also,`I bought the last guy I was dating a Varvatos shirt because his taste was horrible. If I had known how horrible I probably would have never....

Whatever. It was what it was. He told me he couldn't accept a shirt that cost $250 and that he couldn't wear it. It was NYE.
    I didn't yell. I never yell. I calmly disagreed but accepted. He knew something was wrong. He apologized profusely over the next two hours. It was NYE and he was a rail-thin hair from starting the New Year freshly single.

I've never even heard of this brand before. My jobs rarely require me to dress up more than business casual. Except in special occasions, such as meeting with the big brass. Or, special occasion for the FD, then I have to wear my class A's.

Given that, in a way, I can agree with ihm. Other times, one just needs to STFU and accept the gift.

BTW, there's a huge caveat with what I mentioned....It was more about *him* and how kind of quickly we moved along, and less about the style. He put so much effort into working out his body for aesthetic purposes, and spent (what I considered, in a nonjudgmental way) extravagant amounts of money in other areas. If he couldn't afford it, that would be one thing. But it was his intrinsic value set and perspective....and, honestly, he was willing to learn. I just never saw it as a LT thing.
    (Not to mention, after running around prepping all day for the NYE party, I literally arrived at his doorstep with Veuve [for him to gift to our hosts], Four Roses Single Barrel [separate gift from me], and a Varvatos bag with top and dark washed jeans. His immediate reaction was, "I can't accept this.")

There's this guy I really like now. A friend, actually. I've known him for a couple of years. And he'd never go to Varvatos and spend money on a shirt like that (actually, he might, but he'd say all day long that he wouldn't). And I *kitten* love him for it. Because he's brilliant, kind, empathic, and although he can afford the toys, I understand his set of values and how they no longer align with material goods. And I respect him. I didn't respect the other guy.

So, of course....It's more about the man inside the suit. :)

One dresses for their lifestyle, I suppose, right? I rarely wear makeup anymore. I can make myself look like a 9/10 but most of the time it's 6/7. It's a reflection of priorities. But it's nice having the tools available if you do decide on that special night out.....

Off topic. Sorry! Ranting. Run now. Bye.

And people think I write a lot. :noway:

In another life I'd read what you've written the last few posts and I'd run now, too. :laugh:

LOL :D
  • goatg
    Options
    Also,`I bought the last guy I was dating a Varvatos shirt because his taste was horrible. If I had known how horrible I probably would have never....

Whatever. It was what it was. He told me he couldn't accept a shirt that cost $250 and that he couldn't wear it. It was NYE.
    I didn't yell. I never yell. I calmly disagreed but accepted. He knew something was wrong. He apologized profusely over the next two hours. It was NYE and he was a rail-thin hair from starting the New Year freshly single.

I've never even heard of this brand before. My jobs rarely require me to dress up more than business casual. Except in special occasions, such as meeting with the big brass. Or, special occasion for the FD, then I have to wear my class A's.

Given that, in a way, I can agree with ihm. Other times, one just needs to STFU and accept the gift.

BTW, there's a huge caveat with what I mentioned....It was more about *him* and how kind of quickly we moved along, and less about the style. He put so much effort into working out his body for aesthetic purposes, and spent (what I considered, in a nonjudgmental way) extravagant amounts of money in other areas. If he couldn't afford it, that would be one thing. But it was his intrinsic value set and perspective....and, honestly, he was willing to learn. I just never saw it as a LT thing.

There's this guy I really like now. A friend, actually. I've known him for a couple of years. And he'd never go to Varvatos and spend money on a shirt like that (actually, he might, but he'd say all day long that he wouldn't). And I *kitten* love him for it. Because he's brilliant, kind, empathic, and although he can afford the toys, I understand his set of values and how they no longer align with material goods. And I respect him. I didn't respect the other guy.

So, of course....It's more about the man inside the suit. :)

One dresses for their lifestyle, I suppose, right? I rarely wear makeup anymore. I can make myself look like a 9/10 but most of the time it's 6/7. It's a reflection of priorities. But it's nice having the tools available if you do decide on that special night out.....

Off topic. Sorry! Ranting. Run now. Bye.

Ahh, makes sense then and I agree it's about priorities and values we place on ourselves and within our lives. You're definitely far above a 6/7 I'd say. What's inside tends to reflect outwardly as well.

I think this is why I have friends :D
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    sd9is598lmfz.jpg
    d9rj8tkj05en.jpg

Somebody like @Avocado_AS5 needs to explain to me why the Dresses thread hasn't appeared yet. :rage:

Oh I'm the wrong one to ask about this. I never wear dresses. The last time was probably 2 years ago at a Harry Connick Jr. concert. :wink:
  • goatg
    Options
    sd9is598lmfz.jpg
    d9rj8tkj05en.jpg

Somebody like @Avocado_AS5 needs to explain to me why the Dresses thread hasn't appeared yet. :rage:

Oh I'm the wrong one to ask about this. I never wear dresses. The last time was probably 2 years ago at a Harry Connick Jr. concert. :wink:

I think the brown cotton jacket I wore that night is one I just sent to my brother. :ohwell:

I think your fans would be highly appreciative of you in a dress. :bigsmile:

Side note, I like your profile pic. Nice avocado. :flowerforyou:

Yes.
    Yes yes yes.
  • goatg
    Options
    Also, I like the second dress :)
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    q3nbx3unv5kt.jpg

I've got a wooer? Wooooohooooo! :bigsmile:

Why would anyone woo this? This picture and angle makes me want to grab that tie and....nevermind.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ...Dropped off the two new suits with the tailor tonight after work. I'll see them in a week.

And we will see them modeled on this thread in one week and one day? ;)
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    ...Dropped off the two new suits with the tailor tonight after work. I'll see them in a week.

If you ask nicely, maybe. :rage:

I haven't kept up with the thread much. What brand did you get?
  • Caporegiem
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

Spier and Mackay. Canadian outfit that is only big in menswear nerd circles.

I've heard the name, don't know anything about them though. J Crew\Suit Supply are about as expensive as I go with suits though. I did pick up a few Ludlow models from J Crew a few weeks back when they were on sale and they fit me really well right off the rack. I could easily get by with only having the sleeves shortened a bit.
  • Caporegiem
    Options

I've heard the name, don't know anything about them though. J Crew\Suit Supply are about as expensive as I go with suits though. I did pick up a few Ludlow models from J Crew a few weeks back when they were on sale and they fit me really well right off the rack. I could easily get by with only having the sleeves shortened a bit.

Spier is that level of quality. Half canvassed, Super 110s fabric mostly from Italy, Neopolitan like touches on many of their suits. $280-400 range, depending on sales and such.

Suit Supply sells similar in the $400-600 range, same for J Crew proper depending on sales. J Crew has different styling than Spier or SuSu though, they are more American/British leaning than Italian.

Surprised I haven't heard more about them then if they're in that price range. The few places online I read though are pretty hung up on the other two brands I mentioned before though. I almost picked up a Napoli from SuitSupply but not being able to buy separates kind of turned me off, I usually need more than a 6" drop in pants. That and even at a jacket size 40R I feel like a narrow lapel looks better on me.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

Spier is that level of quality. Half canvassed, Super 110s fabric mostly from Italy, Neopolitan like touches on many of their suits. $280-400 range, depending on sales and such.

Suit Supply sells similar in the $400-600 range, same for J Crew proper depending on sales. J Crew has different styling than Spier or SuSu though, they are more American/British leaning than Italian.

Surprised I haven't heard more about them then if they're in that price range. The few places online I read though are pretty hung up on the other two brands I mentioned before though. I almost picked up a Napoli from SuitSupply but not being able to buy separates kind of turned me off, I usually need more than a 6" drop in pants. That and even at a jacket size 40R I feel like a narrow lapel looks better on me.

Yeah, Suit Supply rightfully gets a lot of praise. They are good stuff. My navy blue suit is a Napoli, and I really like it. Spier Contemporary is every bit as good, styled only very slightly different from the Napoli. Spier has a slightly lower button stance and half inch longer jacket.

I'm gonna say be you'd be fine in Suit Supply's pants. They aren't vanity sized. At a 42L I needed under an inch of alteration at the waist to fit a 33...so their drop six was really more like a drop eight in other brands. The legs were trim, but not tight. I did have to take up the sleeves 3/4", which is a pain with their functioning buttons. Had this all done with their in house tailor, because I happened to have two trips out to San Francisco area for work about a month apart. Was easy to buy, get fitted, and then pick up a few weeks later and verify the work.

I have no idea what any of this means but I could listen to you guys talk suits all day long
  • Caporegiem
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Yeah, Suit Supply rightfully gets a lot of praise. They are good stuff. My navy blue suit is a Napoli, and I really like it. Spier Contemporary is every bit as good, styled only very slightly different from the Napoli. Spier has a slightly lower button stance and half inch longer jacket.

I'm gonna say be you'd be fine in Suit Supply's pants. They aren't vanity sized. At a 42L I needed under an inch of alteration at the waist to fit a 33...so their drop six was really more like a drop eight in other brands. The legs were trim, but not tight. I did have to take up the sleeves 3/4", which is a pain with their functioning buttons. Had this all done with their in house tailor, because I happened to have two trips out to San Francisco area for work about a month apart. Was easy to buy, get fitted, and then pick up a few weeks later and verify the work.

I have no idea what any of this means but I could listen to you guys talk suits all day long

We should make this into a YouTube channel. Men in suits grunting, talking about suits sometimes, and slowly growing beards. Five minutes per episode tops.

FTFY
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I already started following it, can't wait for more episodes
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

We should make this into a YouTube channel. Men in suits talking about suits, grunting sometimes, and slowly growing beards. Five minutes per episode tops.

I'd subscribe!
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Options
    xxerniexx wrote: »
    as promised! my interview is next week, glad it fits well! ill keep you all posted!
    zt9sub6fo6m6.jpg

I like your tie. Good luck on your interview.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Options
    q57yf6dw6jx2.jpg

^Not tailored

q6engmw7c79b.jpg
    i3xi9a9emmvu.jpg
    5ia0d62e6um6.jpg

^tailored

What a difference!!
    I like the lining in this one.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    q57yf6dw6jx2.jpg

^Not tailored

q6engmw7c79b.jpg
    i3xi9a9emmvu.jpg
    5ia0d62e6um6.jpg

^tailored

@Avocado_AS5 because she likes things

Smashing! Of course at this point, we expect nothing less from you.