Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting discussion on inflammatory foods:
    http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2012/03/27/inflammation-which-foods-take-the-blame/

Disclaimer: I did not look at the his sources.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, whatever a person can stick to and meet their calorie goals.

For health, I am a fan of the Mediterranean and nordic ways of eating. I love the emphasis on fresh seasonal fruits and veggies, seafood and other lean protein, and inclusion of whole grains and dairy. I feel that keto and other low carb diets do not include enough fruits and vegetables for optimal health.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Regular meat is going to miss quite some nutrients. Unless you can afford and eat multiple pounds of sirloin a day.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3794/2

As I am not advocating eating just meat as a diet, my question was:

Could I get optimal micro nutrients from 40 - 100g of fruit or veg?

Fruits and vegetables have varying amounts of micronutrients, but if you take broccoli (often recognized as nutrient-rich) as an example, no. You wouldn't get "optimal" micronutrients from 100 grams of broccoli. The context of the rest of the diet would be important, but if you're counting on 100 grams of broccoli to give you what you need, you're going to be in trouble.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Regular meat is going to miss quite some nutrients. Unless you can afford and eat multiple pounds of sirloin a day.

Fruits and vegetables have varying amounts of micronutrients, but if you take broccoli (often recognized as nutrient-rich) as an example, no. You wouldn't get "optimal" micronutrients from 100 grams of broccoli. The context of the rest of the diet would be important, but if you're counting on 100 grams of broccoli to give you what you need, you're going to be in trouble.

100g of broccoli is 7g of cArbs! Could I get my micro nutritional requirements from the 33 - 93g of carbs from other fruit and veg ?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

100g of broccoli is 7g of cArbs! Could I get my micro nutritional requirements from the 33 - 93g of carbs from other fruit and veg ?

Are you asking about eating 40 -100 grams of carbohydrates per day? Because your question was about eating 40-100 grams of fruit or vegetables.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Are you asking about eating 40 -100 grams of carbohydrates per day? Because your question was about eating 40-100 grams of fruit or vegetables.

Sorry I wasn’t literal enough.40. - 100g of carbs ( general range for LCHF) from fruit and veg .
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The one you can stick to for the rest of your life. Most "diets" fail because people are only temporarily on them, as soon as they stop, the weight usually comes right back on.

I eat whatever I want with the only rule that I remain at a calorie deficit until I hit my goal weight/size. Then I plan on eating at maintenance. I eat mostly healthy, but I never deprive myself of anything because it's junk food. I just eat "junk" in moderation and either increase my exercise or rearrange my eating to fit in the snack. I'd be (and was while yo-yo dieting) miserable eating only "good/clean" food, and mental health is just as important as physical health.