Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I've tried them all. Being a licensed nutritionist I think it's super important to actually walk the walk before talking about any of the diet trends with a client. Some made me feel great and others made me feel like crap. In the end the only thing that really assisted with weight loss and overall leaning was a calorie deficit... no matter if it was with meat, veggies, egg whites, peanut butter, whey protein or girl-scout cookies. Don't buy into the hype and certainly don't go to a medical doctor for nutritional advice. They're trained to look for symptoms, make a quick diagnosis or referral and subscribe a medication. They're not required to take any nutritional courses throughout med school. Here's a little something I found and thought was great... Fitness Myths Debunked (Nutrition for body comp) 1. Sugar is not inherently fattening; only a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain. 2. Dietary fat is not inherently fattening; only a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain. 3. Breakfast is not necessarily the most important meal of the day; your total calorie intake matters most. 4. Consuming small and frequent meals throughout the day does not stoke a metabolic fire; your total caloric intake is what matters most. 5. Carbs after 6pm do not automatically get converted to body fat; your total daily caloric intake is what determines body fat. and 6. Fat loss supplements are not the answer; you still need a proper diet with a calorie deficit and sufficient nutrients.

So, this is the kind of information a licensed nutritionist would post.

Sounds pretty decent to me :)

A good one, anyway!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've tried them all. Being a licensed nutritionist I think it's super important to actually walk the walk before talking about any of the diet trends with a client. Some made me feel great and others made me feel like crap. In the end the only thing that really assisted with weight loss and overall leaning was a calorie deficit... no matter if it was with meat, veggies, egg whites, peanut butter, whey protein or girl-scout cookies. Don't buy into the hype and certainly don't go to a medical doctor for nutritional advice. They're trained to look for symptoms, make a quick diagnosis or referral and subscribe a medication. They're not required to take any nutritional courses throughout med school. Here's a little something I found and thought was great... Fitness Myths Debunked (Nutrition for body comp) 1. Sugar is not inherently fattening; only a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain. 2. Dietary fat is not inherently fattening; only a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain. 3. Breakfast is not necessarily the most important meal of the day; your total calorie intake matters most. 4. Consuming small and frequent meals throughout the day does not stoke a metabolic fire; your total caloric intake is what matters most. 5. Carbs after 6pm do not automatically get converted to body fat; your total daily caloric intake is what determines body fat. and 6. Fat loss supplements are not the answer; you still need a proper diet with a calorie deficit and sufficient nutrients.

Finally some sense. Thank you for this post. I'm sure you are a success in your profession.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Too each is own when it comes to diets but intermittent fasting is a great kick start to a healthy lifestyle.

Intermittent fasting isn't a diet, it's an eating pattern. And there's nothing magical about it other than the fact that it helps some people adhere to their calorie goals more easily and provides higher satiety. For some people.

I know it's not a diet, hence why I wrote 'lifestyle', I was just putting it out there what works for me...Btw, there is a science behind 'IF'; it actually promotes autophagy, benefits, the liver, gall bladder, adrenals--especially weight-loss etc...All that can lead to a healthy body, diet and overall lifestyle. Do your research, and I say that respectfully.

Mildly only - the real benefits for increased autophagy are not seen until the fasting state reaches 24-48 hours. And all of the studies that I could find were either on mice or flies, so take those results with a grain of salt as well...

If I had a dollar for every time we have to tell people we aren't mice...

Someone please tell me that we aren't going to have to start telling people that we aren't flies. I'm scared :fearful:

Speciescist!

:blushing:
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The one recommend by a dietician with an MD. Because no two people are the same (unless you're an identical twin, and even then - habits can be different), no one diet plan is better than another for everyone.