Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Still hasn't posted the labels of skim milk vs whole milk sugar content...

Personally, I hope he doesn't. I've had that absurd argument on other threads, and don't really need to have it again with anyone devoid of math and logic dkills.

Skim milk does have "more" sugar than whole milk - not added, inherent.

You have a 100g serving of whole milk, and it's 4% fat. Simplifying, it's therefore 96% (protein + carbs), or 96g. Take out the fat.

A 100g serving of the skim milk will now have more (protein + carbs), 100g vs 96, so a higher amount as well as a higher percent. It has to have more, unless you add water or something. That's why skim milk has more sugar per same-sized serving than whole milk.

I've argued this with people who insist skim milk has added sugar because it has more sugar per serving than whole milk. It does have more inherent sugar per serving, but it was put there by the cow. It's just math.

Let's not have that argument with someone who demonstrably can't do math.

this is a discussion of total sugar consumed both refined and naturally occurring - and we consume to much of it - the 40% carbs is completely off base

No you were talking about added sugar.

no - part of the discussion was about added sugar the OP asked for what is a reasonable diet for the average person

I said
    40P
    40F
    20C

You were going on about how fat free products have tons of ADDED sugar.

they do - next time look at all the fat free stuff and then look at the sugar content

As I said way earlier in this thread, most fat free (or low fat) foods I eat have no added sugar.

Vegetables, fruit, dried pasta, oats, potatoes and sweet potatoes, beans and lentils, peas, low fat Fage, so on. Also meats like skinless boneless chicken breast and low fat ground beef.
    for instance why does special K need 5.6 grams of refined sugar?

Some people like sugar and so they demand sugar in cereal. There are cereals without added sugar too (and some with way more).
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    BTW, not sure why we are talking about how much sugar the average person consumes, as no one is recommending the SAD as the best one for health or saying added sugar should be consumed in any amount.

However, I checked the numbers, and what I see is that the average American consumes 82 g of added sugar per day. (http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.Wn3i1a6nHcs)

That would be .18 lb per day. And that includes outliers who consume a huge amount, so itself is not reflective of, say, even the median US diet.

I'd personally agree that 328 cal from added sugar is excessive, but that doesn't mean that 33 g carbs (including 5.8 g added sugar) at breakfast is inherently terrible. Wouldn't be my personal choice, but so what.

(And I usually do have more than, gasp!, 33 g of carbs at breakfast these days.)

using the 82 grams per day it comes out to 66 pounds of sugar per year. not 152. so i'm confused on where that number came from.

edited to clarify - i'm confused about the number in a post preceding this where annual consumption was listed in pounds - not about any number in this post.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    BTW, not sure why we are talking about how much sugar the average person consumes, as no one is recommending the SAD as the best one for health or saying added sugar should be consumed in any amount.

However, I checked the numbers, and what I see is that the average American consumes 82 g of added sugar per day. (http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.Wn3i1a6nHcs)

That would be .18 lb per day. And that includes outliers who consume a huge amount, so itself is not reflective of, say, even the median US diet.

I'd personally agree that 328 cal from added sugar is excessive, but that doesn't mean that 33 g carbs (including 5.8 g added sugar) at breakfast is inherently terrible. Wouldn't be my personal choice, but so what.

(And I usually do have more than, gasp!, 33 g of carbs at breakfast these days.)

using the 82 grams per day it comes out to 66 pounds of sugar per year. not 152. so i'm confused on where that number came from.

edited to clarify - i'm confused about the number in a post preceding this where annual consumption was listed in pounds - not about any number in this post.

If his number is from a credible source at all, my bet is that his is TOTAL sugar (including from fruit, veg, dairy, sweet potatoes) and mine is added sugar.

Even the added sugar number is distorted because a smaller percentage of the population consumes a LOT of added sugar (including from pop and energy drinks).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Bottom line people the sugar industry has paid the right people to convince you fat is bad - why - because there is ALOT of money to be made form producing sugar - but like I said feel free to fill your diet with sugar all you want

You're absolutely right. There's no money whatsoever to be made from fat. *sips bulletproof coffee while making a fatbomb*

Interested in some FATwater?
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I see diets as temporary, quick fix *BS* ...

The best diet is NO diet at all.

Eat what you want within your calorie goal.
    I don't understand why people make this more complicated than it has to be...

Stop talking so much sense :)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/nhp/documents/sugar.pdf

We are talking total sugar consumption

the subject of that (article? infographic? font monster?) is added sugar, the section you quoted doesn't specify, and the remainder suggests replacing candy with fruit. also, is that seriously your source?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I see diets as temporary, quick fix *BS* ...

The best diet is NO diet at all.

Eat what you want within your calorie goal.
    I don't understand why people make this more complicated than it has to be...

Stop talking so much sense :)

UMMMMM no
    eat what you want? fine mountain dew chocolate cake under 2000 Cals
    sounds healthy to me

2000 calories of Chocolate cake probably won't hit my protein goals... But since my calorie allowance for weight loss is 3000 calories I guess I can add 1000 calories of hot dogs/tuna/peperoni.

And since Diet dew has zero calories, that means I can drink all I want ;)

Seriously jealous!

Especially considering the chocolate cake sitting in my fridge... :grumble: