Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    imfornd wrote: »
    I see diets as temporary, quick fix *BS* ...

The best diet is NO diet at all.

Eat what you want within your calorie goal.
    I don't understand why people make this more complicated than it has to be...

Stop talking so much sense :)

UMMMMM no
    eat what you want? fine mountain dew chocolate cake under 2000 Cals
    sounds healthy to me

Why do you assume people want food like that?

I dunno, Mountain Dew Chocolate Cake does sound pretty good. I'll bet I could fit a slice of that into my calories and macros for the day. Context and dosage seem to be thrown the hell out the window in this whole discussion (along with common sense and facts and science and stuff).

Well, even at that, the person would be wrong for eating vegetables, so she's doomed no matter what she does unless she pounds down a porterhouse.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

UMMMMM no
    sounds healthy to me

I dunno, Mountain Dew Chocolate Cake does sound pretty good. I'll bet I could fit a slice of that into my calories and macros for the day. Context and dosage seem to be thrown the hell out the window in this whole discussion (along with common sense and facts and science and stuff).

Well, even at that, the person would be wrong for eating vegetables, so she's doomed no matter what she does unless she pounds down a porterhouse.

That does appear to be the position stand put forth, yes.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

UMMMMM no
    sounds healthy to me

May I please switch Mountain Dew for Dr Pepper or Irn-Bru? Irn-Bru has to be in a glass bottle too, tastes better.*

*Irn-Bru and glass bottles reference will be lost on most, it's a Scottish thing. Is big sugar in charge of the NHS and their dietary recommendations too?

I'm in for at least 2 slices of the Dr Pepper chocolate cake.

I like Dr. Pepper better than the Dew also. Since that alternative was presented, I'm 100% in.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

UMMMMM no
    sounds healthy to me

May I please switch Mountain Dew for Dr Pepper or Irn-Bru? Irn-Bru has to be in a glass bottle too, tastes better.*

*Irn-Bru and glass bottles reference will be lost on most, it's a Scottish thing. Is big sugar in charge of the NHS and their dietary recommendations too?

I like Dr. Pepper better than the Dew also. Since that alternative was presented, I'm 100% in.

I like MT Dew better, but not in chocolate cake. Lemon cake or Pound cake maybe. MMMHHHH Mt Dew Pound cake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    thus the Original OPs post was average - what you are talking about are statistical outliers - in general people who eat less carbs - NOT no Carbs but less carbs - will on average be healthier - 40% is too high - the FDA has us eating 75% of our diet Grains Fruit and veg...... too much sugar under those percentages

What is the source for the claim that people who eat less carbohydrates (I'm assuming by "less" you mean in keeping with your 20% recommendation) are healthier?

The USDA sets dietary guidelines in the US, not the FDA. Whoever told you that the FDA is making recommendations isn't a good source for information about food policy. Also, the USDA isn't recommending that 75% of our diet be grains, fruits, and vegetables. You are either being mislead by someone or you are not doing a good job interpreting the primary sources that are leading you to draw this conclusion.
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You keep repeating the same 3 including webmd. Where is all the other peer reviewed scientific research papers/studies? I mean since you are so well read you should have hundreds

World health organisation?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/world-health-organization-lowers-sugar-intake-recommendations/

Do you understand what people mean when they talk about "research papers" or "studies"?

That would be a no. Clearly thinking articles are the same thing as research papers is a part of the problem, in addition to thinking it's 1998, and not knowing that the fiber and sugar listed on the nutrition label are a part of the carbs, not in addition to the carbs.

Clearly you have no idea what the Journal of applied Physiology or the national Institute of Health is

Look, the actual studies you link to don't support what you're saying, and the stuff you link to that does support your argument are articles that misrepresent actual studies and/or still don't support what you're saying. You say you are talking about all sugars and then link to something that discusses added sugars as proof.

I get that you're committed to whatever it is you believe, but you are woefully out of touch about what is currently trendy. Hardly anyone touts low-fat anymore, the general public is convinced already that sugar is the debil, these boards are buried under posts about keto and fat-bombs and bullet-proof coffee, you're arguing against health fads that died 10 years ago.

What you are shouting about is now the new trendy diet fad. You are posting like you are a rebel against pop culture, but you're just one of the herd. 20 years from now, kids will be making fun of the 90's when everyone thought fat was evil and the 2010's when everyone thought sugar was evil. And they'll have their own silly fad diet belief that they will think is revolutionary.

He apparently alternates between keto and paleo dieting. Which explains a lot. Especially as far as his fear of sugar and carbs, since that is pretty much baked into both of those diets.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My hubby likes to do intermittent fasting, low fat, and eat as clean as possible and no caffeine- for his blood pressure. He has to eat around 1500-2000 calories
    Personally I do 2-3 snacks and a very light lunch and lots of tea (no cream, no sugar) spaced throughout the day with a bigger dinner later on- but I eat whatever I like in moderation - only avoid foods I know I will binge on (like chocolate). I eat between 1200-1500 calories.
    No one diet works across the board for everyone, for me, my husband's diet is too restrictive and for him, my diet isn't really a diet at all. But individually they work out for us.
    Find your groove, it may take a bit of trying, before I found what worked for me, I tried IF, I tried Keto, I tried high protein, I tried eating clean ONLY, they weren't for me, then I found this and it works. Now I don't feel like I'm dieting, this is my routine, this is what I can stick with and because of that, I would have to try really hard to go out of my way to eat like I did when I was 250lbs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

UMMMMM no
    sounds healthy to me

I like MT Dew better, but not in chocolate cake. Lemon cake or Pound cake maybe. MMMHHHH Mt Dew Pound cake.

Ditch the soda and hand me a lemon drizzle cake instead. Mmmmm.
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You keep repeating the same 3 including webmd. Where is all the other peer reviewed scientific research papers/studies? I mean since you are so well read you should have hundreds

World health organisation?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/world-health-organization-lowers-sugar-intake-recommendations/

Do you understand what people mean when they talk about "research papers" or "studies"?

That would be a no. Clearly thinking articles are the same thing as research papers is a part of the problem, in addition to thinking it's 1998, and not knowing that the fiber and sugar listed on the nutrition label are a part of the carbs, not in addition to the carbs.

Clearly you have no idea what the Journal of applied Physiology or the national Institute of Health is

Look, the actual studies you link to don't support what you're saying, and the stuff you link to that does support your argument are articles that misrepresent actual studies and/or still don't support what you're saying. You say you are talking about all sugars and then link to something that discusses added sugars as proof.

I get that you're committed to whatever it is you believe, but you are woefully out of touch about what is currently trendy. Hardly anyone touts low-fat anymore, the general public is convinced already that sugar is the debil, these boards are buried under posts about keto and fat-bombs and bullet-proof coffee, you're arguing against health fads that died 10 years ago.

What you are shouting about is now the new trendy diet fad. You are posting like you are a rebel against pop culture, but you're just one of the herd. 20 years from now, kids will be making fun of the 90's when everyone thought fat was evil and the 2010's when everyone thought sugar was evil. And they'll have their own silly fad diet belief that they will think is revolutionary.

He apparently alternates between keto and paleo dieting. Which explains a lot, especially as far as his fear of sugar and carbs, since that is pretty much baked into both of those diets.

I have to give him credit, he practices what he preaches. He pretty much eats meat, cheese, eggs, and protein products. True Believer and defender of the faith :innocent:

Some people succeed in spite of what they do rather than because of what they do.

Genetics make a big difference too, as far as body composition/aesthetics. Somebody with good genetics can get away with murder in their diet and training and still look good. That's not an indicator that what they're doing is right, it's an indicator that they have good genetics.