Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Options

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    BTW, not sure why we are talking about how much sugar the average person consumes, as no one is recommending the SAD as the best one for health or saying added sugar should be consumed in any amount.

However, I checked the numbers, and what I see is that the average American consumes 82 g of added sugar per day. (http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.Wn3i1a6nHcs)

That would be .18 lb per day. And that includes outliers who consume a huge amount, so itself is not reflective of, say, even the median US diet.

I'd personally agree that 328 cal from added sugar is excessive, but that doesn't mean that 33 g carbs (including 5.8 g added sugar) at breakfast is inherently terrible. Wouldn't be my personal choice, but so what.

(And I usually do have more than, gasp!, 33 g of carbs at breakfast these days.)

using the 82 grams per day it comes out to 66 pounds of sugar per year. not 152. so i'm confused on where that number came from.

edited to clarify - i'm confused about the number in a post preceding this where annual consumption was listed in pounds - not about any number in this post.

https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/nhp/documents/sugar.pdf

We are talking total sugar consumption

the subject of that (article? infographic? font monster?) is added sugar, the section you quoted doesn't specify, and the remainder suggests replacing candy with fruit. also, is that seriously your source?

You have an issue with New Hamshire health and human services?

oh totally. you have an issue with the US department of Agriculture's choose my plate model. so it seems neither of us are totally sold.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You keep repeating the same links and graphics over and over. Where are your other sources?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You keep repeating the same 3 including webmd. Where is all the other peer reviewed scientific research papers/studies? I mean since you are so well read you should have hundreds
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    http://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/1900694/effects-low-carbohydrate-low-fat-diets-randomized-trial?doi=10.7326/M14-0180

Conclusion:
    The low-carbohydrate diet was more effective for weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor reduction than the low-fat diet. Restricting carbohydrate may be an option for persons seeking to lose weight and reduce cardiovascular risk factors.

That is absolutely not true.

I guess you can take it up with National Institutes of Health

Or with my PCP. Which I did and I will take her advice.

Which she should be reading the latest research - until 100 years cutting a was great way to get rid of disease

BS

Yeah you are right - doctors shouldn't stay well read with the latest research

Wow, you think they don't stay up on research? Head in the sand

If she is still touting the standard food pyramid to you I would change your doctor - but hey feel free to pound down that pasta all day long if you like

So far I've lost about 80lbs . . . but I guess I could have lost a whole lot more if it wasn't for that pasta.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Too each is own when it comes to diets but intermittent fasting is a great kick start to a healthy lifestyle.

Intermittent fasting isn't a diet, it's an eating pattern. And there's nothing magical about it other than the fact that it helps some people adhere to their calorie goals more easily and provides higher satiety. For some people.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    40 protein
    40 fats
    20 carbs

You can thank the Sugar industry and corn manufactures for making fat a demon - but like I said if you want a high A!C number, High Cholesterol number and arteriosclerosis

keep on pounding down that 40% sugar diet

You do know there's other sources of carbs aside from the highly processed startches right?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Back to the OP (though the discussion sure has been interesting to read.) There is no one 'healthiest diet' that anyone can recommend for you, with the sole exception that your regular way of eating should nourish you, not harm you.

<snipped by the responder>

Agreeing with this. We all, at heart, know which foods are nutritious. The best balance of those foods in our diets (macro balance) comes down to matters of personal preference and what will keep us most compliant with our calorie goals. In order to do that, the macro balance we're eating and the food choices we're making need to be satisfying from both a taste and "emotional" perspective. They also need to leave us feeling satiated.

People vary greatly as to which macro balance (notice I'm shying away from any named diet) ticks all these boxes for them.

I've learned this through years of reading dieting forums and through personal experience of trying various eating plans myself.

There is no one objective "best" eating plan out there. There's only what's best for you.