What the eff??!!??

Options

Replies

• Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Also, the scale can be misleading. I haven't lost in two weeks, but the pants I couldn't fit into 3 or so weeks ago I was able to wear today. Sometimes it helps to have a pair of "skinny" pants that you can test from time to time :)

I always have a pair of "goal" pants as well as pair of "starting" pants which now go almost twice around my waist ;)
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Omnimous69 wrote: »
    Try starting with strength training and ending with cardio. The blood flow to the torn muscle tissue is very important.

Huh?
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    I do not have a “before” pic. Perhaps I will take one today. I determine my body fat via my fancy scale that does body age, fat, muscle, BMI. The changes it reflects are slow coming as far as body fat loss and muscle gain. I was inconsistently working out since November and consistently since January.
    I’m trying to lose a decent amount of weight, 50 pounds or so..
    I throw protein powder in my smoothies every once in a while, snack on raw almonds often and usually have a good portion of protein for dinner.

For me, anyways, the calories in almonds adds up really quickly - that's why I hardly ever snack on them or other nuts.

They do add up quickly. I love nuts and seeds though. I try to only eat a little hand full of almonds, which equals roughly a single serving.

Nuts are supposed to be really good for you, too, including raising your good cholesterol. I try to eat an ounce a day.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    Take a before pic. You'll be glad you did later. Take your measurements. Update these monthly or semi monthly.

Get a food scale and weigh everything to the gram.

Also, as I understand it those scales are pretty much useless when it comes to calculating anything more than BMI.

Yep. Diet is the key to weight loss. If a person sets the right calorie deficit, they can lose weight without exercising at all. The gym is great for creating muscle and burning some extra calories, but weight loss really starts in the kitchen.

Getting a food scale and logging everything is a real eye opener, at least it was for me. A fair amount of people on this site will tell you there were shocked to find out how many calories they were consuming once they really focused in on weighing and recording everything.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did you take beginning progress pics and measurements? The mirror is the worst way to evaluate our own progress. We don't see ourselves accurately.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You should take progress pictures. I imagine you can't see your own results.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I agree with PP re: calorie deficit. Secondly, it can take a long time to see much of a difference in body composition. I take measurements weekly so I can "see" changes. I've found with fitness/weight loss consistency is key and you have to believe that your dedication will get the results you want over time. I find that setting fitness goals (running faster, lifting more etc.) for myself is useful and helps me to stay motivated to workout.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    Firstly, I agree with PP re: calorie deficit. Secondly, it can take a long time to see much of a difference in body composition. I take measurements weekly so I can "see" changes. I've found with fitness/weight loss consistency is key and you have to believe that your dedication will get the results you want over time. I find that setting fitness goals (running faster, lifting more etc.) for myself is useful and helps me to stay motivated to workout.

Yes, good point. It is important to continually challenge oneself, particularly with strength training, by continuing to increase the weight used as you gain strength.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The saying goes it takes 4 weeks for you to see some changes, 8weeks for your friends to see the changes, 12 weeks for the rest of the world to see the change ..... but personally I think that saying is a load of guff ... for me any way .... it takes me 3 months to notice anything .. and no else has ever commented so I guess its longer than a year for anyone else to notice :(