Deadlifts - leg day or back?

Replies

• RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    I do them once a week and my assistance work on that day is back, delta and biceps. My best official competition deadlift was 620, I have deadlifted 700 in the gym.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    It does matter what you consider them as long as your programming is good.

Personally I only train them twice a week and I suck at them. I'm guessing I'll only pull 500-510lbs because I just switched to sumo a couple months ago and my body is going through a flare up.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2018
    I believe deadlifts are one of the best excercises you can do but I find most people either don’t do them right or don’t do them at all. How often do you deadlift and if so do you do them on leg day or back or neither? Also feel free to share your PR.

Currently I am deadlifting on back day once and week and my PR is 500 and done at 190lbs.

Full body, so:
    Every other session (alternating with squats) along with overhead press and lat pulldowns (alternating with bench press & rows).

(ETA: so it counts as a leg for my programming template purposes)
  • RC4655
    If your ultimate goal is a big deadlift, I have found less is more. Right now I am hypertrophy training because it is off season and I want to add muscle. But during meet prep training, when I want to pull a big deadlift at a competition, I do very few reps, and I do them fairly heavy but not too heavy. For example, when I hit 620 in competition, I never pulled more than 420 in training leading up to that meet, and I did not do any deadlifts 3 weeks prior to my competition. Rest and not overtraining are key to a big deadlift.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Leg day
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    I do them when coach tells me to. I am newer to lifting. My PR right now is 225.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Both
  • Fynnlagh
    Fynnlagh Posts: 10 Member
    I do them on the deadlift day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I do full body, so I typically do 2-3 variations of them per week.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    I do them on back day, my current PR is 315 this week, 2 sets at 6 reps. I am 193lbs
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    I deadlift on "deadlift day". Not being a smart-*kitten*... The focus is the deadlift and then I do a couple accessory exercises to support improvement in the deadlift.

This
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I'm not a bodybuilder, and still fall into the "beginner" lifter category technically speaking - so that being said, I do my heavy deadlifts on my "leg" day and I also do lighter weight, higher rep and variations on some of my 'muscle endurance' days.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    I do them on my leg day and heavy back day so twice a week.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I do them on one of my leg days. I do romanian deadlifts pretty much exclusively now and really target my glutes and hams. I would just feel odd doing them for one of my upper body days. I don't want to share my PR because it's embarrassing. lol

I do Romanian Deadlifts too. I hope however that people who say they put deadlifts on back day are not doing a bro split.
  • joakim3
    joakim3 Posts: 3 Member
    Do them on lower / leg day if you train back days prior to it, minimize erector spinae and lower back training that's the most efficient way
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    I do them on my lower body day, seems to work for me as progress is coming slowly
  • RC4655
    I have a deadlift day, a bench day and a squat day. On those days, I do assistance work that will improve those lifts. I will also do a 4th day from time to time for a little fluff and buff, but my primary goal is to build my squat, bench and deadlift for a big total. Nothing else matters to me.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Romanian Deadlifts on leg day.

Standard Deadlifts on back day. 110kg is my PB so far.

Currently doing trap bar deadlifts on back day though whilst I'm pregnant. Managed 100kg 1RM last week which I was so pleased with after 5weeks off.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I just have a deadlift focused day rather than a leg or back day.

I train deadlifts twice a week, once heavy and once light. My max is 150kg (330lbs) or 142.5kg (313.5lbs) officially in a comp - both done at around 182lbs.