Deadlifts - leg day or back?

Options

Replies

• MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It’s great to hear so many people deadlifting. So when you deadlift do you prefer conventional or sumo and do you use lifting straps or chalk and over hand or mixed grip?
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    :( haven’t been able to deadlift for 6 months :(
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It’s great to hear so many people deadlifting. So when you deadlift do you prefer conventional or sumo and do you use lifting straps or chalk and over hand or mixed grip?

Sumo, double over-hand until 225lbs, chalk yes, no straps.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I do upper/lower splits. I do them on lower day although they hit my lower back real good too.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I deadlift for warm ups on back day... Then one of two leg days is centered around heavy deadlifts
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The high number weights are frying my little brain! How you all lift so much is astounding.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

I do both, but my heavy DL day is conventional, light DL day is sumo. Overhand until I can't, then mixed grip. Chalk when I remember.
  • MichaelK1007
    Options
    The high number weights are frying my little brain! How you all lift so much is astounding.

Lots of time spent in the gym and practicing proper form. I have been working out for several year but just started deadlifting about 3 years ago and I was lucky to get 3 sets of 185 up. Just a year and a half ago I could only lift 405 once. Now I do 3 sets with 375-405 with a max of 500. It’s not a process that can be rushed but takes time.
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

It takes years of training. When I started competing I could only deadlift 400 lbs. it took a year or two to consistently pull over 500 lbs, but going from 500 to 600 was way harder than going from 400 to 500. Once you cross over 500, your form has to be pretty darn good to pull in the high 500's to low 600's. You cannot fake it with that much weight, you also need to have the mental game because your body feels like it's tearing itself apart and you have to be able to push through that and visualize the lift in your mind. If you doubt you can lift it, you can't.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

It can take years. I've been lifting for years and I am still nowhere near these numbers.. but.. I am stronger than I was before so that is all I focus on!
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Conventional, chalk, no straps. Hook grip for warm ups then switch to over under for working sets.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I do them on leg days 3 times a week.
    2 days standard deads, 1 Romanian deads
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Right now I sumo because a meet coming up and I'm working around back issues so plan B.

I hook grip with chalk my heavy singles and strap my volume sets to minimize further damage to my hand/finger joints.
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use a conventional stance with an alternate grip. I use chalk in competition but not in training. I never use straps. I do double over hand grip up to about 335 lbs, then I switch to an alternate over/under grip. I will use a two finger grip up to about 225 to build hand strength. When you use straps you don't develop to grip strength you will need to hang on to really heavy weights. Grip is usually the limiting factor in how much you can deadlift. Your grip will fail before your legs and back do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Years of training and using programs that are targeted towards strength...low rep/high weight

I've been lifting for years, but my numbers aren't anywhere near those of others in large part because I typically work in the 8-12 rep range with moderate weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Years of training and using programs that are targeted towards strength...low rep/high weight

I've been lifting for years, but my numbers aren't anywhere near those of others in large part because I typically work in the 8-12 rep range with moderate weight.

Ahh this is an excellent point .. this is mostly how I train.
  • MichaelK1007
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I do them on leg days 3 times a week.
    2 days standard deads, 1 Romanian deads

3x per week is impressive. Are you following a certain program with an emphasis on deadlifts or legs.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Conventional here, chalk, straps for back off sets, and alternating grip.

I’m weird in that I think deadlifting is not really all that hard. I hate benching and in 10 months of never missing training I have only gotten to 225lbs. Deadlift on the other hand I can pull 520lbs in same time.

I think I have longish arms for height. This might help with dead’s and hurt on bench.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Conventional here, chalk, straps for back off sets, and alternating grip.

I’m weird in that I think deadlifting is not really all that hard. I hate benching and in 10 months of never missing training I have only gotten to 225lbs. Deadlift on the other hand I can pull 520lbs in same time.

I think I have longish arms for height. This might help with dead’s and hurt on bench.

This seriously blows my mind how you seem to be such a huge natural puller. I suspect you have a long arms but bench is also a hard lift for most people to increase. Patience and you will find your bench takes off soon.