Deadlifts - leg day or back?

Options

Replies

• foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do core work on leg day, so they fit in a lot better there. I like to do them first then follow up with front squats. On my other leg day I'll do touch and go box squats and follow them up with straight leg deads.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Stan - I wish I was there for the 135 / 140 swings I'm doing right now. I'm using an adjustable that is around 40 lbs. I do have the 24 kg at home and I usually do the last 20 or so with that.

I do some single handed and some both hands, honestly depending on how tired I am! The 2 hand helps when I'm exhausted. Depends on if I'm separating the row too. Today, for instance, the row took it all out of me (two very hard 15 minute intervals/3 minutes rest @ 1:57 pace, which for me is very hard). I'll do the swings this evening. My original plan was to get to the 200 3X a week (regardless of single or double) and then move to the 24 kg one and go back to around 150 then 3 X a week and build up back to 200.

I'm not sure I could even do 100 with a 32 kg one after doing a hard row. Perhaps if it was by itself but I'm not that strong. Endurance strength, yes, but that's a totally different thing. Whether it's rowing or lifting, it's all about peak power and how many reps you can do (or at least rowing is, there are guys fairly weak that have great rowing times). Rowing is weird in that most (old timers) didn't think lifting was as important as cardio. Some guys that have been breaking records on 500m/1000m rows have changed that opinion quite a bit. I'm thinking if I can just generate 5% more power, that would be fantastic. I'm regionally competitive now (for my age and it's a limited pool of people) but 5/10% more power and I'd be nationally very competitive.

If you can do 10 clean 24/32 single hand, You're probably well past ready to try DLs.

Are you doing continuous or sets of 10/20 EMOM
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @ Stan - forgive my term ignorance. I assume EMOM is referring to repetitions on swings? I'm doing roughly 40/50 at a time (50 is about my limit at 40 lbs, 30 @ 24 kg). I couldn't do 135 continuous at this stage (at least on top of my rowing). Perhaps if the swings were all I was doing I might be able to do over 100 at a time.

OK, looked up EMOM (every minute on the minute). The way I've been doing it now is more mixed into a continuous workout for endurance. My workout the other day is an example. 40 Swings, then 25/30 Military presses, 25 pushups, hard 1K row, repeat 3 more times. If I separate the KB swings, yes, I can do EMOM until I'm up to 135/140 at this point easily. I'm just not at the point I can do all of those with the 24 kg KB yet but I'm getting there quickly.

If I am ready for DLs, I've read a lot about starting with a slightly elevated bar (for beginners) until you understand form. Good/bad idea? Perhaps I should look into a 5X5 or similar but I'm just thinking 2 or so sets and working with a trainer. Not sure I could do 5 heavy sets along with the rowing and I do like keeping my "easy" days easier (I row 12K to 15K meters on my easy days or do 30 minutes on the rower/30 on an Assault style bike).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It’s great to hear so many people deadlifting. So when you deadlift do you prefer conventional or sumo and do you use lifting straps or chalk and over hand or mixed grip?

I prefer conventional, although my back prefers sumo.

Chalk for anything over 315 - unless I'm doing high-rep sets (6+, for instance), in which case I might break out straps.

Double overhand until about 365 (maybe less, depending on the day), then either mixed or hook grip.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    oops.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do a push pull split, so they fall in my pull day, and are my only "leg" exercise on pull day, though squats or lately leg press (ankle and knee injury) are my only leg exercise on push day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I do them on deadlift days. Twice per week. Saturday I do them heavy alongside Squat and bench, and then I do them again on Wednesday with bench and either an upper or lower hypertrophy day.

I think my PR is 290 or 295. It better be 315 soon.

Wow, great numbers, most I pulled was 285 for 4, never tested full 1 rm, most attempted was 305, but had more in the bag @ 145lbs bw
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Sorry about EMOM, but yes with a standard KBell program sets are normally 10 every 30 seconds or 20 every minute.

You can do an easy form check with your 24. Put the Bell between your feet rather then forward as you'd have it to set up for swings. Drop down as you would to set for your swing, and instead of swinging, just pull straight up as you hinge. Since it's light, you can do a Ballistic instead of a grind deadlift. Instead of letting the bell control your movement, hold the top and press your feet into the floor before lowering to reset. be more mindful of the hinge pattern.

The only reason for a slightly elevated bar being recommended for novices is because most gyms don't have lighter "bumper plates" You should be able to start off with 1 full plate on each side. You're plenty strong enough. and Since you've been swinging, your hinge should be solid. You probably should get some coaching or at least a spotter/watcher for a few sets,
  • missparkerr92
    missparkerr92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I saw people use straps for high rep, I still haven’t figured out how to use straps but I’m sure my hands would appreciate it if I did. I just chalk them to *kitten* and grit through the pain of the knurling digging into my calluses lmao. Haven’t had my grip fail me yet, but I’m sure once I get closer to 500 it will happen. I use mixed grip.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Conventional here, chalk, straps for back off sets, and alternating grip.

I’m weird in that I think deadlifting is not really all that hard. I hate benching and in 10 months of never missing training I have only gotten to 225lbs. Deadlift on the other hand I can pull 520lbs in same time.

I think I have longish arms for height. This might help with dead’s and hurt on bench.

This seriously blows my mind how you seem to be such a huge natural puller. I suspect you have a long arms but bench is also a hard lift for most people to increase. Patience and you will find your bench takes off soon.

Likely. Yesterday I worked to a heavy set of below knee rack pulls (545x5). The bar seriously only moves like 6-8 inches from just below the knee to the lockout. I tried pulling sumo but didn't like it as much as conventional but I wonder if I could pull more if I trained it.

Generally, longer arms will do better with conventional but there are always exceptions, and as Ed Coan showed, there is a happy middle ground for many with the semi-sumo stance of varying widths.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I saw people use straps for high rep, I still haven’t figured out how to use straps but I’m sure my hands would appreciate it if I did. I just chalk them to *kitten* and grit through the pain of the knurling digging into my calluses lmao. Haven’t had my grip fail me yet, but I’m sure once I get closer to 500 it will happen. I use mixed grip.

I got Cobra grips (same thing as Versa Gripps) for my high rep work and glad to leave straps behind. Versa Gripps are leather hooks rather than straps and they are very straight forward to use and distribute the pressure more evenly on the wrists.
  • missparkerr92
    missparkerr92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I got Cobra grips (same thing as Versa Gripps) for my high rep work and glad to leave straps behind. Versa Gripps are leather hooks rather than straps and they are very straight forward to use and distribute the pressure more evenly on the wrists.

I’ll check them out. Now that I think about it I may have seen people on social media using them. I just hate having to crank the straps down, I don’t ever get it right so one is tighter than the other and feels strange on my wrists, not to mention the thickness of the straps makes it harder for me to hold the bar.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I’ll check them out. Now that I think about it I may have seen people on social media using them. I just hate having to crank the straps down, I don’t ever get it right so one is tighter than the other and feels strange on my wrists, not to mention the thickness of the straps makes it harder for me to hold the bar.

I stopped using straps as I believe the tension was causing my hands to fall asleep during the day. Although like others have commented I only used them on high reps or when lifting heavy. Now I use the versa gripps and the issue with my hands falling asleep is gone.
  • MichaelK1007
    Options
    So this morning I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time in a long time. It seems to be much easier the traditional deadlifts. Also I felt it more in my hamstrings and glutes rather then my back. Since it’s been a while maybe my form is a little off. Wasn’t lifting heavy. Sets of 8 @ 225. Any suggestions?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    So this morning I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time in a long time. It seems to be much easier the traditional deadlifts. Also I felt it more in my hamstrings and glutes rather then my back. Since it’s been a while maybe my form is a little off. Wasn’t lifting heavy. Sets of 8 @ 225. Any suggestions?

Sumos should be felt in the glutes and hammies. Why do you think your form was off?
  • MichaelK1007
    Options

Sumos should be felt in the glutes and hammies. Why do you think your form was off?

No reason really I guess it’s just been a long time since I’ve done them. They seemed much easier then I remember. Are sumo deadlifts supposed to be easier then traditional? Or does it depends on other factors like how strong your legs and glutes are.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

No reason really I guess it’s just been a long time since I’ve done them. They seemed much easier then I remember. Are sumo deadlifts supposed to be easier then traditional? Or does it depends on other factors like how strong your legs and glutes are.

I think that answer will be different for everyone. I've actually never tried a heavy sumo pull...I tend to do those in the 8-12 rep range.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I believe deadlifts are one of the best excercises you can do but I find most people either don’t do them right or don’t do them at all. How often do you deadlift and if so do you do them on leg day or back or neither? Also feel free to share your PR.

Currently I am deadlifting on back day once and week and my PR is 500 and done at 190lbs.

Your PR at that weight is awesome. Congrats. I was chasing after 500 but finally decided fat-loss needed to take priority.

I do a push-pull split, so I don't have "leg day" or "back day". I do this because I try to keep my MPS elevated for most of the week.

Deadlifts fall on a "pull" day for me even though it's really a "push" movement.

One Pull Day A is conventional deadlift. Pull Day B is sumo. Pull Day C is RDL.

My conventional DL PR is 465. But I've been cutting since July and 405 is now a struggle. I'm happy to trade it for the weight loss though.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I do full body workouts 4x a week.

Do DL& SQT 2x's week on alternate days and do 2 other upper body compound lifts/exercises on those days.

My DL 1RM is 400 @ 158# & 67 years of age.

Awesome!

• omar57
    omar57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to do RDL's(Romanian deadlift) on leg day and Rack Pulls right below the knee on back day