Options

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    jennygutt wrote: »
    Well I'm still not sure what to do. If I'm not counting my calories correct then maybe i am eating 1500 instead of 1000 a day. And if my Fitbit is overestimating my cals burned then say brings me to 2500 burned for the whole day including my bmr. That still brings to 1500 cals ate and burned 2500 thats still doesn't add up to why i stopped losing. It just doesnt make sense. I did this for 9 to 10 months and lost 71lbs. I ate about a thousand calories a day and exercised less than what I'm exercising now and would lose over 2 pounds a week. And it just stopped working. nothing changed. I increased my exercise within the last 2 months to try to see if that would help kump start it again and it's not helped either.

Do you use a food scale to track your caloric intake?

I do not. But I usually overestimate the amount to be safe. And a lot of what I eat is the same thing. I usually have three pieces of toast for breakfast. A banana partly through the day. For dinner I usually have a grilled piece of chicken breast and vegetables or Salad to go with it. 8 days out of 10 that is what I eat lol... But even if I am a little off in the waiting area of my calories logging in it 1000 a day and then let's say I'm off 500 calories a day by accident which is highly unlikely because like I said I usually overestimate but if I was off by 500 s day or so I still should be losing a little bit each week... It just seems to me anyways. I do think I will get a food scale and start trying to weigh just to eliminate that.

No lunch? Nothing on the toast, chicken, or salad?

No lunch usually unless i I grabbed a handful of animal crackers or some Dry Cereal in which I counted out every piece and tracked it... And no I don't put anything on my chicken or vegetables except spray butter and or salt and pepper... And the only thing I put on my toast is spray butter the zero calorie... And I use for my salad the only thing I put on it is bacon bits imitation and light Olive Garden dressing also measured out and counted accurately.

Not sure if you are aware, but the "zero calorie" spray butters actually have calories. Not a lot, but depending on how much you use over the course of a day/week, it can add up.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/37-i-cant-believe-its-got-calories

I use this stuff quite a bit, and I was shocked when I found this out...particularly how quickly the fat grams can add up.

I Called the company that makes it once, it has then same calories per tablespoon as light butter. 59 cal, 5 fat.

Yeah, the label is very misleading. I used to put 7-8 squirts on each half of my bagel. Now I only do 3 :)
  • jennygutt
    jennygutt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well I'm still not sure what to do. If I'm not counting my calories correct then maybe i am eating 1500 instead of 1000 a day. And if my Fitbit is overestimating my cals burned then say brings me to 2500 burned for the whole day including my bmr. That still brings to 1500 cals ate and burned 2500 thats still doesn't add up to why i stopped losing. It just doesnt make sense. I did this for 9 to 10 months and lost 71lbs. I ate about a thousand calories a day and exercised less than what I'm exercising now and would lose over 2 pounds a week. And it just stopped working. nothing changed. I increased my exercise within the last 2 months to try to see if that would help kump start it again and it's not helped either.

Do you use a food scale to track your caloric intake?

I do not. But I usually overestimate the amount to be safe. And a lot of what I eat is the same thing. I usually have three pieces of toast for breakfast. A banana partly through the day. For dinner I usually have a grilled piece of chicken breast and vegetables or Salad to go with it. 8 days out of 10 that is what I eat lol... But even if I am a little off in the waiting area of my calories logging in it 1000 a day and then let's say I'm off 500 calories a day by accident which is highly unlikely because like I said I usually overestimate but if I was off by 500 s day or so I still should be losing a little bit each week... It just seems to me anyways. I do think I will get a food scale and start trying to weigh just to eliminate that.

No lunch? Nothing on the toast, chicken, or salad?

No lunch usually unless i I grabbed a handful of animal crackers or some Dry Cereal in which I counted out every piece and tracked it... And no I don't put anything on my chicken or vegetables except spray butter and or salt and pepper... And the only thing I put on my toast is spray butter the zero calorie... And I use for my salad the only thing I put on it is bacon bits imitation and light Olive Garden dressing also measured out and counted accurately.

Not sure if you are aware, but the "zero calorie" spray butters actually have calories. Not a lot, but depending on how much you use over the course of a day/week, it can add up.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/37-i-cant-believe-its-got-calories

I use this stuff quite a bit, and I was shocked when I found this out...particularly how quickly the fat grams can add up.

Oh my goodness I had no idea!!!!! I'm so glad you told me about this I will read that article!!
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    jennygutt, you can use the spreadsheet linked in this thread to determine your TDEE. You need to track your caloric intake accurately (i.e. use a scale and weigh all your food), but after a few weeks it will tell you how much you need to eat to lose weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10639284/down-eight-pounds-in-seven-weeks-sharing-my-tdee-spreadsheet#latest
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I agree with other who say your Fitbit is over reporting your burn. How long have you had it? Have you been regularly updating your weight in Fitbit? For me I found the longer I had it and the more often I logged weights, even if it hadn’t changed, the more accurate it became.

I normally workout at the gym 2 hours - 1hr weights and 1hr boxing. Boxing is supposedly one of the highest burn activities you can do. I hit 10-12k steps. My burn after all of that for the whole day is around 2000-2300. I’m right between 5’7” and 5’8” and weight 154. On the days I run instead (averaging 3 miles) my total daily burn is slightly lower. Over 3000 for walking, even briskly, doesn’t sound realistic unless you are obese
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ok hold on. There's a post in there where you said it's been 2 WEEKS since you stopped losing weight? Is it 2 weeks or has it been since November? Because 2 weeks is completely normal and nothing to worry about...

How is your menstrual cycle? When I had a big deficit like you did for a couple months, I stopped getting my period for two months, and did not lose any weight at all those two months (I'm a freak who only seem to drop weight the week after my period). Then I lost like 8 lbs in a week.
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I agree with other who say your Fitbit is over reporting your burn. How long have you had it? Have you been regularly updating your weight in Fitbit? For me I found the longer I had it and the more often I logged weights, even if it hadn’t changed, the more accurate it became.

I normally workout at the gym 2 hours - 1hr weights and 1hr boxing. Boxing is supposedly one of the highest burn activities you can do. I hit 10-12k steps. My burn after all of that for the whole day is around 2000-2300. I’m right between 5’7” and 5’8” and weight 154. On the days I run instead (averaging 3 miles) my total daily burn is slightly lower. Over 3000 for walking, even briskly, doesn’t sound realistic unless you are obese

If she's hitting 30k steps 3000 cal TDEE is totally believable if adaptive thermogenesis weren't in the mix. Looking at my past month's Fitbit data, on days where I hit ~25k I was in the high 2000s TDEE. I'm an inch shorter and 35 lbs lighter than OP. I trust my Fitbit implicitly, because I have the data to show that it's accurate for me.

And yeah I'm with you there, actually, if anything I should have gained back 25 or 30 lbs if my Fitbit was accurate, and I only gained 15 back.