Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    jennygutt wrote: »
    I'm with PAV8888 on this because even if you're not using a food scale and not tracking some things and even if your Fitbit is off (I really wish people would stop pushing this narrative, because a lot of us find them perfectly reliable), you have quite a disparity going.

I get 30K steps a day and know from scale performance just how many calories that can burn, and I weigh less than you, OP. Granted, most of mine are at brisk pace, I don't know what pace your are at and that can affect your burns.

Saying that, we're still talking margins here where you should be in a deficit, and that is my main point. Even with inaccurate logging and possibly less than ideal reporting from the Fitbit, you are still in a deficit, so something else is at play here.

I strongly suspect that you have been eating at deficit too long and are experiencing hormone downregulation and also experiencing water retention from increased activity and raised cortisol.

I also recommend taking a 2 week diet break while eating at maintenance calorie levels, and I recommend that you read the diet breaks thread.

Finally! Lolthank you that's what I was trying to say I didn't know how to say... Even if my fitbit's saying a little more and my calories is a little more I would still been at of deficit... even if ibwas actually eating 1400 instead of 1000 cals and only burning 2500 a day instead of 3500 i am still at a deficit....but i plan to eat a little more and weigh and track hope to see some results.

That doesn't make sense to me. Op was not weighing her food so she didn't have an idea of how much she was actually consuming she thought she was consuming 1,000, but that wasn't true. I think op consuming the calories MFP suggests and actually using a food scale will benefit her a lot. I think the mentality that she was not eating enough is not accurate because she was in fact eating more than a thousand calories. Not to say if op actually was eating that much calories if she was using a food scale would've been a good idea because it's not.

Well you are correct I was not weighing my food I'm still not convinced I was eating more than a thousand calories. I know you don't know me and it's impossible for you to know this but I am OCD and very strict and very particular. If a package is listening had 16 crackers is 120 calories out literally counted out 16 crackers. I did not skimp on things. As a matter of fact I usually over estimated to be safe. If I got two tablespoons of sour cream I usually with track three to make sure I didn't go over. I always overestimate instead of under. And the only way you would really know and could take my word for that is if you knew me at all people that know me know 100% that I mean that but it's true I really do.

But with that being said I am loving the scale weighing ideal I'm looking forward to be more precise and knowing exactly what I'm eating

Love, if you are able to understand German I could show you a thread in another forum that I started some 5 years ago. I said that I was only eating about 1000kcal and that it's so strange that I'm gaining weight. Guess what: I was not. I was eating more than twice that amount, based on the weight I gained between that post and being at my maximum weight (75kg, 169cm). It's so easy to get it completely wrong.

The point is that it's not a generalized narrative that "Fitbits are off". You can track them to real world results and find if you're an outlier and calibrate them as needed.

It's the offhanded comment that I find unnecessary and often unhelpful. Again, it's too generalized. There are a great many of us who find them useful because we know how to work with them.

It's also generalized to conflate exercise burns based on one's own experience with another person's experience (even though I did that in this thread to demonstrate that OP's burns weren't out of the realm of possibility) because burns are dependent on a lot of different mitigating factors that most here aren't accounting for. I find this happens a lot in these threads, and it's a common trope on these boards to be dismissive out of hand without thinking critically about these inherent differences.

How would we go about properly using the Fitbit to get it to be more reliable?
    Not being argumentative. Looking to learn and maybe help others with my experience improve theirs. :smile:

By either knowing the % you should be eating or by playing with your stats (stride length, height, age) in Fitbit settings until the calories given align with your TDEE calculated from experience. I like numbers to I did the latter, you could simply eat back all step calories and see if your loss aligns with your expected loss and see if you need to eat back less than 100% of them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your ~25% vegan bubble, but don't honey graham cookies/crackers have . . . honey?

Nah, my vegan cookie bubble is truly and fully busted!
    Honey.
    I guess them Bees ain't vegetables!
    Who would have thunk it! :disappointed:

As to the rest of it, me thinks that this here @kimny72 keeps showing a remarkable knack for common sense! :love: :blush:

Well thanks, but mostly i'm just really good at summarizing other people's wisdom :lol:
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Well I got my food scale in. I weighed out my grilled chicken and broccoli for my dinner tonight. And I can already tell I was under estimating the weights. What I thought was a 5.5 oz chicken breast weight in at 7 oz.. and the broccoli what I thought was about 30 calories worth was actually about 55 to 60. So just on those two things I was under estimating a bit probably 100 calories worth but if you do that every night that's 700 calories in a week. Definitely loving the food scale thank you all for the great suggestion.

Glad to hear you are finding it helpful. It really helped me to tighten things up.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Everyone has plateaus, it will get moving again.

I can do everything right and lose 0 to .5 lbs for a week or two when eating at a 600 calorie deficit a day. That’s when a diet break for one meal reallly, really helps to get things going again. . It’s usually every 4-6 weeks, so it’s not every week, but it helps a lot. Also a rest day or two from exercise can help. I think your body just gets exhausted if you push it too hard and it just needs a break.

I’m down 62 lbs, so I know it works.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well I got my food scale in. I weighed out my grilled chicken and broccoli for my dinner tonight. And I can already tell I was under estimating the weights. What I thought was a 5.5 oz chicken breast weight in at 7 oz.. and the broccoli what I thought was about 30 calories worth was actually about 55 to 60. So just on those two things I was under estimating a bit probably 100 calories worth but if you do that every night that's 700 calories in a week. Definitely loving the food scale thank you all for the great suggestion.

One other thing. Make sure you are using raw chicken as the weight in MFP, not cooked chicken (unless you are explicitly using cooked chicken in your meal plan). If cooked, that 7 oz chicken breast is probably more like 9 oz of raw meat.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the diet break comments. I find it gives my losses a kickstart. It’s not like you have to eat a kebab and fries. Maybe try adding a lot more healthy oils each day which would easily use up calories. Handful of nuts, some fresh chopped avocado to top off a homemade chilli con (or non) carne on a baked sweet potato with some cheese, some full fat Greek yoghurt for breakfast or a dessert and maybe a smoked mackerel and new potato salad for lunch.

The oils will make you full, you’ll use a larger amount of calories during the ‘diet break’ but you’ll still feel amazing from eating good quality foods.

Hope you manage to kick start it and well done on your amazing losses so far!