Down 71lbs now weight won't budge HELP!

Options

Replies

• jennygutt
    jennygutt Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I know that but it seems she's going down a bad road eating like that and she says she's only eating 1000 calories.

She really isn't eating that much she's not using a food scale. I do think her mentality is wrong that she thinks she needs to eat a thousand calories to lose weight. Op mentioned she's going to get a food scale, so she can be more accurate with her tracking, and she'll eat the amount suggested by MFP to lose weight.

@jennygutt- what's your current height and weight? What do you plan to set your rate of loss to?

My current height is 5"7.5 and weight is 166..my goal weight is 150 maybe 145.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When I started walking my Vivofit gave me about 250 to 300 calories burned off for 8,000 steps. I was 233 pounds then. Now I'm 145 and I get about 125 calories for 10,000 steps. You are much smaller now and even though you are walking alot that's alot of calories for the steps. I would get 375 for 30,000 steps. Just the same, I think you should be seeing some loss if you're only eating 1000 calories. I hope you get it sorted out but I forgot to say Congratulations on losing 71 pounds that's amazing!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'm with PAV8888 on this because even if you're not using a food scale and not tracking some things and even if your Fitbit is off (I really wish people would stop pushing this narrative, because a lot of us find them perfectly reliable), you have quite a disparity going.

I get 30K steps a day and know from scale performance just how many calories that can burn, and I weigh less than you, OP. Granted, most of mine are at brisk pace, I don't know what pace your are at and that can affect your burns.

Saying that, we're still talking margins here where you should be in a deficit, and that is my main point. Even with inaccurate logging and possibly less than ideal reporting from the Fitbit, you are still in a deficit, so something else is at play here.

I strongly suspect that you have been eating at deficit too long and are experiencing hormone downregulation and also experiencing water retention from increased activity and raised cortisol.

I also recommend taking a 2 week diet break while eating at maintenance calorie levels, and I recommend that you read the diet breaks thread.
    I'm with PAV8888 on this because even if you're not using a food scale and not tracking some things and even if your Fitbit is off (I really wish people would stop pushing this narrative, because a lot of us find them perfectly reliable), you have quite a disparity going.

I get 30K steps a day and know from scale performance just how many calories that can burn, and I weigh less than you, OP. Granted, most of mine are at brisk pace, I don't know what pace your are at and that can affect your burns.

Saying that, we're still talking margins here where you should be in a deficit, and that is my main point. Even with inaccurate logging and possibly less than ideal reporting from the Fitbit, you are still in a deficit, so something else is at play here.

I strongly suspect that you have been eating at deficit too long and are experiencing hormone downregulation and also experiencing water retention from increased activity and raised cortisol.

I also recommend taking a 2 week diet break while eating at maintenance calorie levels, and I recommend that you read the diet breaks thread.

^^This.
  • z3dreamer
    z3dreamer Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I vote for taking the break. And, you are exercising too much. If 1,530 is BMR, you don't need to have a total of more than 2,000 per day. The math would say 470 calories from exercising. That is more than enough.

I took a break and now I am back with a vengeance losing weight. I also changed the diet around. Before, I was purely counting calories. Now, I am slashing carbs and bumping up protein.

Of course, this is all my opinion.
  • SITO1312
    SITO1312 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a 5'10, 155 lb male, the app Huawei Health on my phone tells me i've burned 300 calories after 12k steps today...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    jennygutt wrote: »
    The 3000 to 3,500 calories burned is for the whole day. Its my BMR is 1530 cal a day....when i say brisk walk im not kidding. Start my morning workout with a 2-minute plank and push-ups. Followed by either a run @ 6mph for 3mi followed by a walk at a 6 incline @ 4mph for usually am hour. On the next day i do a 30 min HIIT followed by an hour walk @6 incline @ 4mph. So im not litely going for a stroll. Im drenched wih sweat and dead after my workouts each day. As i said i get upwards from 3ooo cal burned by the end of the day when at bedtime. The 3000cal burned includes my BMR of 1550 and then elall the exercising. I jog in place a lot thru out the day too any chance i have free time. Id say i get more toward 3500cal burned reading when i get closer to 335 to 37k steps. Its usually more toward 3000 cal burned reading for the day.

Have you had this fit bit since you were 70 lbs heavier, and have you told it you lost 70 lbs?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Well I'm still not sure what to do. If I'm not counting my calories correct then maybe i am eating 1500 instead of 1000 a day. And if my Fitbit is overestimating my cals burned then say brings me to 2500 burned for the whole day including my bmr. That still brings to 1500 cals ate and burned 2500 thats still doesn't add up to why i stopped losing. It just doesnt make sense. I did this for 9 to 10 months and lost 71lbs. I ate about a thousand calories a day and exercised less than what I'm exercising now and would lose over 2 pounds a week. And it just stopped working. nothing changed. I increased my exercise within the last 2 months to try to see if that would help kump start it again and it's not helped either.

Do you use a food scale to track your caloric intake?

I do not. But I usually overestimate the amount to be safe. And a lot of what I eat is the same thing. I usually have three pieces of toast for breakfast. A banana partly through the day. For dinner I usually have a grilled piece of chicken breast and vegetables or Salad to go with it. 8 days out of 10 that is what I eat lol... But even if I am a little off in the waiting area of my calories logging in it 1000 a day and then let's say I'm off 500 calories a day by accident which is highly unlikely because like I said I usually overestimate but if I was off by 500 s day or so I still should be losing a little bit each week... It just seems to me anyways. I do think I will get a food scale and start trying to weigh just to eliminate that.

No lunch? Nothing on the toast, chicken, or salad?
  • jennygutt
    jennygutt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The 3000 to 3,500 calories burned is for the whole day. Its my BMR is 1530 cal a day....when i say brisk walk im not kidding. Start my morning workout with a 2-minute plank and push-ups. Followed by either a run @ 6mph for 3mi followed by a walk at a 6 incline @ 4mph for usually am hour. On the next day i do a 30 min HIIT followed by an hour walk @6 incline @ 4mph. So im not litely going for a stroll. Im drenched wih sweat and dead after my workouts each day. As i said i get upwards from 3ooo cal burned by the end of the day when at bedtime. The 3000cal burned includes my BMR of 1550 and then elall the exercising. I jog in place a lot thru out the day too any chance i have free time. Id say i get more toward 3500cal burned reading when i get closer to 335 to 37k steps. Its usually more toward 3000 cal burned reading for the day.

Have you had this fit bit since you were 70 lbs heavier, and have you told it you lost 70 lbs?

Haha! Yes its aware of the 71 lbs lost
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I know that but it seems she's going down a bad road eating like that and she says she's only eating 1000 calories.

She really isn't eating that much she's not using a food scale. I do think her mentality is wrong that she thinks she needs to eat a thousand calories to lose weight. Op mentioned she's going to get a food scale, so she can be more accurate with her tracking, and she'll eat the amount suggested by MFP to lose weight.

@jennygutt- what's your current height and weight? What do you plan to set your rate of loss to?

My current height is 5"7.5 and weight is 166..my goal weight is 150 maybe 145.

know that you have a weight range. your weight will fluctuate from day to day,hr to hr and so on. so having a weight range is better because you cant be just a static number. weight doesnt work that way. I would say a range of 145-150
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Finally! Lolthank you that's what I was trying to say I didn't know how to say... Even if my fitbit's saying a little more and my calories is a little more I would still been at of deficit... even if ibwas actually eating 1400 instead of 1000 cals and only burning 2500 a day instead of 3500 i am still at a deficit....but i plan to eat a little more and weigh and track hope to see some results.

That doesn't make sense to me. Op was not weighing her food so she didn't have an idea of how much she was actually consuming she thought she was consuming 1,000, but that wasn't true. I think op consuming the calories MFP suggests and actually using a food scale will benefit her a lot. I think the mentality that she was not eating enough is not accurate because she was in fact eating more than a thousand calories. Not to say if op actually was eating that much calories if she was using a food scale would've been a good idea because it's not.

Well you are correct I was not weighing my food I'm still not convinced I was eating more than a thousand calories. I know you don't know me and it's impossible for you to know this but I am OCD and very strict and very particular. If a package is listening had 16 crackers is 120 calories out literally counted out 16 crackers. I did not skimp on things. As a matter of fact I usually over estimated to be safe. If I got two tablespoons of sour cream I usually with track three to make sure I didn't go over. I always overestimate instead of under. And the only way you would really know and could take my word for that is if you knew me at all people that know me know 100% that I mean that but it's true I really do.

But with that being said I am loving the scale weighing ideal I'm looking forward to be more precise and knowing exactly what I'm eating

Just a little FYI food labels can underestimate calories by 20% so this would play a factor as well which is why food scale is better, and I'm glad you'll be using it going forward. Make sure when you're using a food scale that you don't eat 1,000 calories that's not healthy. If you have less than 20 pounds to lose the idea is to usually lose between 0.5 to 1 pound. However, if you have more than 20 pounds to lose 2 pounds is okay. And just make sure you eat the calorie amount that suggested by MyFitnessPal when you go to the goals and settings section. Good luck!!

2 lbs is good for those with more than 75 to lose,maybe even as low as 50 but. anything less than 30 should be 1lb a week or less.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    SITO1312 wrote: »
    As a 5'10, 155 lb male, the app Huawei Health on my phone tells me i've burned 300 calories after 12k steps today...

Please bear in mind that there's a difference between the calories you burned and what your TDEE is. Your TDEE includes your BMR.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Finally! Lolthank you that's what I was trying to say I didn't know how to say... Even if my fitbit's saying a little more and my calories is a little more I would still been at of deficit... even if ibwas actually eating 1400 instead of 1000 cals and only burning 2500 a day instead of 3500 i am still at a deficit....but i plan to eat a little more and weigh and track hope to see some results.

That doesn't make sense to me. Op was not weighing her food so she didn't have an idea of how much she was actually consuming she thought she was consuming 1,000, but that wasn't true. I think op consuming the calories MFP suggests and actually using a food scale will benefit her a lot. I think the mentality that she was not eating enough is not accurate because she was in fact eating more than a thousand calories. Not to say if op actually was eating that much calories if she was using a food scale would've been a good idea because it's not.

Well you are correct I was not weighing my food I'm still not convinced I was eating more than a thousand calories. I know you don't know me and it's impossible for you to know this but I am OCD and very strict and very particular. If a package is listening had 16 crackers is 120 calories out literally counted out 16 crackers. I did not skimp on things. As a matter of fact I usually over estimated to be safe. If I got two tablespoons of sour cream I usually with track three to make sure I didn't go over. I always overestimate instead of under. And the only way you would really know and could take my word for that is if you knew me at all people that know me know 100% that I mean that but it's true I really do.

But with that being said I am loving the scale weighing ideal I'm looking forward to be more precise and knowing exactly what I'm eating

Just a little FYI food labels can underestimate calories by 20% so this would play a factor as well which is why food scale is better, and I'm glad you'll be using it going forward. Make sure when you're using a food scale that you don't eat 1,000 calories that's not healthy. If you have less than 20 pounds to lose the idea is to usually lose between 0.5 to 1 pound. However, if you have more than 20 pounds to lose 2 pounds is okay. And just make sure you eat the calorie amount that suggested by MyFitnessPal when you go to the goals and settings section. Good luck!!

2 lbs is good for those with more than 75 to lose,maybe even as low as 50 but. anything less than 30 should be 1lb a week or less.

The range of weight loss information I gave was information I got from a registered dietician I saw a few years ago. But yeah this number can vary from each professional I'm sure.