Brutal Honesty

Options
12346»

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I did tell a woman in the dressing room today that the dress she was trying on showed too much sideboob. (She did ask for my opinion...I generally don't give unsolicited wardrobe advice.) The thanked me and confessed that she feared that might be the case. She did not buy the dress.
  • jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I had a friend who was dating a guy who was an alcoholic and a loser, right after she had got divorced, from a good guy.
    She had a house warming party and before everyone arrived, asked what I thought of him. I told her, she cried, and later that night she broke up with him.
  • somejaykid
    somejaykid Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    when I first moved here in the states, I was a sophomore in high school and this girl in our group told me straight up that I should moved back to my country and I don't belong here. everybody in the group was shocked and the teacher also, the sad part is the teacher only said "that wasn't nice" to her and everybody in the group didn't say *kitten*.
  • somejaykid
    somejaykid Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ^^^D Bag or being honest that was hurtful to me lol
  • SugarMagnolia1979
    SugarMagnolia1979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm just honest with people. I would only call it brutally if it is something they don't care to hear. You can be honest without intentionally hurting someone's feelings but again, it is all how they take it. Just don't be a dick about it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    dnm1207 wrote: »
    Can you give an example of when you were brutally honest with someone, or when someone was brutally honest with you, and how did it turn out?

Yeah I had a friend who said "please stop me if I go for another guy who's wrong for me and just lock me in a closet somewhere". So then she got into a relationship with a mutual friend who not only were we in business with, but he's not into serious relationships. I pointed this out and told her it would be better for her if she stopped right now.
    She stopped talking to me.
    And they're not together anymore and she hates him now. Big surprise.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I did tell a woman in the dressing room today that the dress she was trying on showed too much sideboob. (She did ask for my opinion...I generally don't give unsolicited wardrobe advice.) The thanked me and confessed that she feared that might be the case. She did not buy the dress.

I don't see that as brutal honesty at all.

Brutal honesty is more like this:

Jane looks at Anne, "Nice day outside!"

Anne considers a moment then responds, "You know, your teeth are really freaking yellow."

Jane's hand flies up to her mouth, "Um... that was mean."

"I'm just being honest!" Anne shrugs.

^^ And that is a tame example of what I would view as brutal honesty. Brutal honesty, to me, is unsolicited, unneeded, deliberately cruel 'honesty'.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    1987 - Got called into Vice-President's office where I worked. Knew it was going to be bad when I saw my boss, his boss and a Rep from HR sitting there waiting for me.

VP was direct and said he wanted my resignation. I told him I didn't want to resign and I didn't understand what was going on. (I knew but, I had just put a down payment on a Condo that morning.)

VP stands up behind his desk, leans forward, puts his fists on his desk, turns red and says, "You're a F..up, You've always been a F..up, and if you F..up one more time, and you will F..up, we will fire you!!"

At which point, the HR Rep stood up and said, "If you resign today, you will be paid one month's salary for every year you have worked here, but if you are fired, you will get nothing." ( I had been there 10 years.)

I said, "I'll go clear out my office while you cut my check."
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    dnm1207 wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    1987 - Got called into Vice-President's office where I worked. Knew it was going to be bad when I saw my boss, his boss and a Rep from HR sitting there waiting for me.

VP was direct and said he wanted my resignation. I told him I didn't want to resign and I didn't understand what was going on. (I knew but, I had just put a down payment on a Condo that morning.)

VP stands up behind his desk, leans forward, puts his fists on his desk, turns red and says, "You're a F..up, You've always been a F..up, and if you F..up one more time, and you will F..up, we will fire you!!"

At which point, the HR Rep stood up and said, "If you resign today, you will be paid one month's salary for every year you have worked here, but if you are fired, you will get nothing." ( I had been there 10 years.)

I said, "I'll go clear out my office while you cut my check."

Even Charlie Sheen thinks that's a lot of #winning.

Love that story!

Every cloud has a silver lining. Within 60 days I was single, soon-to-be-homeless and broke. I, literally, packed everything I owned on my motorcycle and left Southern California. Headed north to Portland. Got a job through a Temp Agency for about a fifth of what I was making before. Met the woman I would spend the rest of my life with. It is now 31 years later. We have three daughters and two granddaughters. Ready to retire in about 18 months. Never been happier.iq29i6rp32ru.png