Going nuts over how to diet

Options
12346»

Replies

• ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    EdwardMH2 wrote: »
    Ok I HOPE I went in the right direction.
    I updated my Settings in MFP raising my Daily Calories from 1,510 the changes are as follows.
    Hight 5'10"
    Weight 212 (Current Weight)up from 210
    Gender Still Male :-)
    Goal weight 180 (Will still be happy with 185)
    Activity Level Active up from Lightly Active
    4 workouts a week (Number of times a week I TRY to play pickleball)
    120 min per workout Down from 180 to allow for breaks between games and waiting to go for the ball.
    Though I RARELY sit around I usually go play with the dog between games.
    Lose 1.5 pounds per week down from 2 pounds
    MFP suggested Daily Calories are now 2,130
    My Macros I think are set to 50% Protein, Carbs 20% and Fat 30%

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if you have said what your job is..........Are you basing your activity level on the fact that you play Pickelball regularly? If so I would suggest lowering activity level then log any exercise separately allowing you to eat more on those days.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wislawcat wrote: »
    CICO is not the only answer. I was exercising 5 Xs per week eating only 1250 Cals per day so a 300-600 deficit per day and was gaining Weight on a lean protein whole grain low fat diet. Cancer drugs I am on made me carb resistant. I switched to keto Jan 1 at 20 carbs max 60g protein and the rest fat each day I kept total number of cals the same and exercise the same. I’ve lost 15 pounds in 11 weeks. If you read the literature it’s not just water loss. Once you are in ketosis you transition to burning fat stores instead of glucose stores for energy. Ketosis takes a week or so to get into but the transition to fat burning can take 4-6 weeks. A lot of people lose water weight the first two weeks then stall. But if you keep with it you eventually transition and start burning fat and losing weight. The key is not to go in and out of ketosis or you don’t transition. Read book “keto clarity” for science behind it and guidelines. By Moore and Westman M.D. from Duke University.

I have a friend on cancer drugs and she is gaining weight but its because when I helped her out she realized she was eating more calories than she thought. she is not doing keto either and losing just fine. she thought she was eating only 1200 and she was eating over 1600.for her it was water loss and inflammation as she gets lymph-edema. heres an interesting study on reducing carbs and cancer or the prevention of it https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3267662/