Slow Runners Unite!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My journey is exactly like yours, I once hovered at 38 minutes for months. Improvement does come with weight loss. Keep at it.
    Thank you!! 😀
  • RawBean37
    RawBean37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow slow runners! I cannot remember a time in my life when I could run more than one lap around a track. I started running back in May (already about 60 down from my highest weight, lost over many years), kept at it for three months, then went on vacation and never started back again until now. I got up to running 2.5 miles at 5mph before I quit. Sunday was my first run since early August and I only made it a mile at 4.8mph with incline intervals up to 4%. Yesterday I was so sore and also stressed from my first day at a new job so I skipped it. Today I did 2 miles no incline with two minute intervals between 4.8 and 6.0 mph. I don't follow any training plan except to do what feels about right and stop when I'm nicely tired but not totally spent. When I compare myself to my past self I feel great and athletic and like I've made good progress, but then I get down on my pace and endurance when I see what others can do. How do you all stay motivated and feeling good?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ^^Why not do a structured plan like c210k. It will help keep you on track and build steadily towards your goal. It will give you a tangible way to see your progress and stay motivated!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RawBean37 wrote: »
    Hi fellow slow runners! I cannot remember a time in my life when I could run more than one lap around a track. I started running back in May (already about 60 down from my highest weight, lost over many years), kept at it for three months, then went on vacation and never started back again until now. I got up to running 2.5 miles at 5mph before I quit. Sunday was my first run since early August and I only made it a mile at 4.8mph with incline intervals up to 4%. Yesterday I was so sore and also stressed from my first day at a new job so I skipped it. Today I did 2 miles no incline with two minute intervals between 4.8 and 6.0 mph. I don't follow any training plan except to do what feels about right and stop when I'm nicely tired but not totally spent. When I compare myself to my past self I feel great and athletic and like I've made good progress, but then I get down on my pace and endurance when I see what others can do. How do you all stay motivated and feeling good?

Comparison is the thief of joy
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I once finished last in a trail run and had so much fun that I take great pride on finishing last every yr that I do it..ha..i am now much slower due to cancer, lymphedemia from the surgery and other medical stuff..i do what I ca, the best I can..the effort is same, results different. I learned long time ago that what we would tell our ids to do in tough situations is what we should do ourselves.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    [quote="tirowow12385;c-41897173 "I was 21 miles per minute when I first tried to jog, though it was mostly walking. Took an hour to complete my first 5k. I remember when this lady fast walk the heck out of me running, I was like, how's that even possible? Challenge accepted! I walk/jog outdoors ever since then and never looked back. [/quote]

I am sure that you meant that you ran at a mile in 21 minutes pace, but the thought of 21 miles a minute brought images of the Flash.